Considering an addition to the lineup...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXFJR

Reaction score
I've got a really bad bug right now. I can't get the thought of buying the new Ducati 848 out of my head. I actually had a salesman at the local dealership start one and let me listen to it. WOW, I love that V-twin sound on a sport bike. He says that I can take it for a ride the next nice day. CRAP!!!!! I can't get that thought out of my head!!!!!

I know the "downfalls" of owning the red Italian import: high maintenance cost. However, they've addressed part of this by changing the valve adjustment to every 7500 miles instead of the original 3500-4000. Then there is the initial cost.

But, am I the only guy that admires everything Ducati brings to the table? This is one bad ass ride!!!

Link: https://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/Mode...model=SBK848-08

Ray

Ugh that is sweeeet! Man...can't someone start a bike club!? Your choice of any bike...you just rent out the one youre in the mood for...Duc, Gixxer, CBR, Cruiser, KLR...etc. Otherwise this hobby is going to be an expensive journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't resist the power of the force Luke...

If you can afford it, go for it! If not, don't get into a high cost habit....What am I saying! If you own a bike... aw forget it...

I sold my Duc and miss her terribly! if when I get the chance, I'll get another Italian mistress.

Good luck!

But, am I the only guy that admires everything Ducati brings to the table? Link: https://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/Mode...model=SBK848-08

Ray

No.

Unfortunately my wife wants me to get a V-Twin before I buy anything else. I drool over those red bikes like I drool over Uma Thurmond in my fantasies. I think you are sunk if you ever ride it. If you can afford it, buy the mistress, so I can live vicariously. Just don't drop it. Parts are expensive. Service costs are higher on Duc's (I hear) as well. Shoot, now I'm Jones'ing.........

Ride it and then see how you feel. Last year I was jonesing bad for a duc monster... wanted a black one. What a sweet looking bike! Eventually I went down and rode one. It was a sweet ride. But then while I was riding home on the FJR, with its smooth engine, ride, and handling it occured to me that the bike I have is pretty damned nice and I really didn't need another one.

So for me it was like lusting after the hot chick and once you bag her you lose interest. If you don't lose interest then maybe the duc is for you and you need to suck it up and shell out the bucks!

No question; the Duc 848 is absolutely beautiful. My only problem with Italian sportbikes is that they're designed for folks with long arms and sub 32" inseams. At 6'2" with a ~36" inseam, I can't even sit on one in the showroom for any length of time without it becoming uncomfortable. It's not f***ing fair..!! :angry:

But, am I the only guy that admires everything Ducati brings to the table? Link: https://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/Mode...model=SBK848-08

Ray

No.

Unfortunately my wife wants me to get a V-Twin before I buy anything else. I drool over those red bikes like I drool over Uma Thurmond in my fantasies. I think you are sunk if you ever ride it. If you can afford it, buy the mistress, so I can live vicariously. Just don't drop it. Parts are expensive. Service costs are higher on Duc's (I hear) as well. Shoot, now I'm Jones'ing.........
SPU Tell your wife the Duc is a V-twin...just at a different angle. :blink:

PDX if you're going to go nuts, go BIG! Go all the way and get a 1098!!! :yahoo:

Ray

No.

SPU Tell your wife the Duc is a V-twin...just at a different angle. :blink:

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Why the hell didn't I think of that! Ah, shit she'd never fit on the pillion (shhh, nobody tell her I said that, OK?)

From my reply to Katoom37 saying largely the same thing about wanting a Ducati Monster:

I came to the Feejer from the Ducati world and it was as reliable as any Yamaha or Honda, but the Monster and FJR are totally different creatures. Commuting life on an S4R would be a pain by comparison - teeny gas tank, mechanical clutch in traffic, no wind protection, and a lean forward posture. Every time you ride in rain, you're thinking about the hours it's going to take to clean. However, after a couple of hours on a fast two-lane in West Virginia, you drank the Cool-Aid.
Parts are slightly more, but really not that much. Plus, getting parts is easy from the line changing little year to year, salvage, Ducati clubs everywhere, mail order, & FleaBay. Warranty depends on the single dealer supply string at full retail pricing and is where the horror stories have come from. (Plus a few well-known Ducati goofs like some soft rockers, sorta like the FJR's tick and Harley cam issues.)

If you can get somebody to teach you to do the belts and valves once, owning a Duck is not expensive. They call for 6K inspections and other than the valves you can do everything in your garage in a couple of hours. Most everything on the bike is right out in the open on Monsters (Ducati fairings are another story). A lot of owners, especially 4V, take the bike to somebody for valves but after about 15-18000 miles the valve clearances don't ever change.

Here's the question: Ducati/wife/Ducati/wife/Ducati/wife. Hmmm, which one do you really need?

Bob

Ray,

I've got the same bug for these new Ducati's. They are bad ass and I plan on getting a 1098 as soon as I come up with the money. Give us a ride report if you break down and take the 848 for a spin.

But, am I the only guy that admires everything Ducati brings to the table? This is one bad ass ride!!!
Link: https://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/Mode...model=SBK848-08

Ray
No ------------ you're not the only one, it was love at first sight.

IMG_1001.jpg

Ray

No.

Ummm... you do know that (modern) Ducatis are ALL V-twins, right? There's your excuse... Now go buy one.

Oh, and Ducati parts are really no more expensive than other motorcycle parts. It's the mechanics that command the top dollar. If you do your own wrenching, well there's just not that much difference.

Ummm... you do know that (modern) Ducatis are ALL V-twins, right? There's your excuse... Now go buy one.
Oh, and Ducati parts are really no more expensive than other motorcycle parts. It's the mechanics that command the top dollar. If you do your own wrenching, well there's just not that much difference.
You are aware that not ALL Ducati's are V-Twins right? There is a new V-4 quietly lurking in the stable and is arguably the KING of the Superbikes. This 200 HP 370 lbs (260hp if it's Casey Stoner's bike) beauty can be yours for a mere $72,500, please meet the 2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR - Lordy!

NV61657_2-1.jpg

You are aware that not ALL Ducati's are V-Twins right? There is a new V-4 quietly lurking in the stable and is arguably the KING of the Superbikes. This 200 HP 370 lbs (260hp if it's Casey Stoner's bike) beauty can be yours for a mere $72,500, please meet the 2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR - Lordy!

NV61657_2-1.jpg

That's not a real motorcycle. It's unobtanium... ;)

(PS - I did not know it was a V4)

So my wife was out shopping with a girlfriend earlier this week and comes home all excited. "Honey", she says to me, "I just saw the most gorgeous bike on display at a store. It was a red Ducati 1098. Why don't you think about buying something like that?"

"Sweety", I say to her, "that suggestion right there proves that I've absolutely married the right woman and I love you more than you will ever know because of it. But I think you've completely lost your mind." :p