Considering an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compared to my ZX14, I prefer the FJR. It's upright enough to allow long days with no wrist discomfort. And it's plenty fast.

Bungie your gym back to the passenger seat - I find that easier than opening the side case.

i can't add any thing except i love this bike. very stable and confidence inspiring. you are in Toronto which isn't far from me. i am about 30 miles north of Syracuse and i will be in lake placid sept 11-13. if you are interested in taking my bike for a long test ride just pm me. be warned though you will not be satisfied with any other bike.

Wow, thanks for all the very informative replies and a special thank you to just roy for the most generous offer of taking his bike for a test ride! I'm impressed; not too many people would offer their bike to a complete stranger, especially sight unseen.

I went out Saturday to look at an FJR at a local dealer and I have to say, it's a beautiful machine. Had a seat on it and the fits not bad. Bit of a forward lean compared to the Heritage but nowhere near as pronounced as the XX.

Unfortunately, taking a bike for a test ride is not something that happens here, unless the manufacturer is putting on a demo day. The individual dealers don't allow it, citing insurance issues. I guess the insurance companies screw dealers over as enthusiastically as they do individual riders!

Again, many thanks to everyone for the informative replies. They've made me consider the FJR a little more than just a few days ago.

I'll be sure to let you know what I decide when I finally do. And just so you know, I'm TERRIBLE at making up my mind when it comes to buying a bike, lol. In a perfect world, I would just have one of each. :lol:

Cheers.

And just so you know, I'm TERRIBLE at making up my mind when it comes to buying a bike,

It took me three full years to decide what to buy and when. Once I settled on the FJR and specifically the AE model, it still took me a year and a half to actually plunk my money down on the '08 I own now. I know exactly how you are feeling right now but I can tell you without a doubt that this is the perfect bike for me. I may make a few changes like putting on helibars and a Starcomm1 Digital in the future but those are tweaks to an amazing core machine.

A note about my previous post on this thread:

I took the bike out on I75 North of Atlanta this weekend and rode with some fairly heavy traffic. I was doing 80 and getting passed like I was backing up. With the wind and the air coming off the cars I did get a bit spooked by the bike doing some lane wandering. It only moved a foot or two in the lane I was occupying but I decided to get off and do the side roads that day. Your mileage may vary.

Howdy. New guy here and I'd like to pick some brains, if I may. I have seriously fallen in like with the looks of the FJR and on paper and in reviews it certainly sounds top-notch. But I would like to hear some feedback from folks who actually ride them and I guess there might be one or two of 'em here. :D
  1. I had a '97 XX(Blackbird) and while it was by far one of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden, it did have two drawbacks that I found disturbing. While not a hyper sportbike, I still found the weight on the wrists uncomfortable after a relatively short time, even after I added Gen-Mar risers. How does the FJR compare? I know it's much more upright but is there still a forward lean that gets uncomfortable after several hours? I'm 5'8" btw, so I'm not towering over the bars.
  2. The other problem I found with the XX - and it was a big one - was that in any kind of crosswind it danced all over the place. All that gorgeous bodywork acted like a mainsail in anything over a gentle breeze and resulted in a few unscheduled lane changes. :bigeyedsmiley: It got so I didn't want to take it out unless it was perfectly calm. I've ridden other bikes in near-gale conditions with little problem, so I think I'm safe in assuming it wasn't me, but maybe it was. Thoughts?
  3. In addition to hoping to do some semi-serious touring with the FJR, it would also be my daily commuter into the city. It needs to be able to haul my gym bag, office crap (laptop, etc) plus ever handy rainsuit, etc. Luggage sufficient for that? How is the bike in stop'n'go city traffic? Chore to ride or is it ok?
Really appreciate the feedback folks. Brochures and sales teams only tell you so much; it's the daily riders who know the full story.Cheers.

aI have an 07 AE I have rode it for about a year an a half, I purchased it for a commuter bike, but love the bike so much I ride it whenever I can. The bike handles extremely well. With the windscreen up i have no problem from wind or windblast, I ride the freeways of SoCal and usually my shield is up. If you purchase an AE model you should purchase a throttle lock / cruise control of sometype, if you have to rest your hand on long rides the moment you release the throttle the bike gear downs, there is no clutch to engage so the bike can free roll. For this situation I added a throttlemeister cruise control. I strap my laptop to my luggage rack, gym bag in one side case the helmet in the other when stopped. Note*( Each side bag can carry a twelver, subs, and chips) I have a tank bag for my GPS, phone, camera, remotes, camelback and accumalated junk. If you can purchase this bike you wont regret it. I'm not sure if this link is going to work but their are pics of AE theirhttps://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/blurryvision07/

Hi Mike. If stop n go city traffic is going to be one of your major concerns, I would say get the AE model. I have an 06 and I really, really appreciate it in stop n go. I have ridden a lot of miles in the last 10 years, on HD and BMW, and I find that I do not miss having a manual clutch.

I road my naked and lighter KZ650 bike for many years between NW Indiana and Central Ohio almost every other weekend (non-winter) for several years and never had this issue. Then out on the FJR one weekend on the same stretch of road I had an incident where I was transported a foot into the next lane before I could say, " what the sheeeeeeet!" So I'm guessing that it can get 'dicey' with the wrong crosswind. To the point that I won't travel a certain highway (I-65) in my area with the FJR, unless it is absolutely necessary and them I go about 10 under the posted speed limit of 70 staying in the middle of the right lane and keep 'hunkered' down. I haven't experienced this phenomenon on any other road system but because of that one time its always on my mind when I'm out in the open like that! I weigh in at 185lbs and am 5'7". I was not using the side bags for that trip, and have no top case. The windshield was down at the time.

I road my naked and lighter KZ650 bike for many years between NW Indiana and Central Ohio almost every other weekend (non-winter) for several years and never had this issue. Then out on the FJR one weekend on the same stretch of road I had an incident where I was transported a foot into the next lane before I could say, " what the sheeeeeeet!" So I'm guessing that it can get 'dicey' with the wrong crosswind. To the point that I won't travel a certain highway (I-65) in my area with the FJR, unless it is absolutely necessary and them I go about 10 under the posted speed limit of 70 staying in the middle of the right lane and keep 'hunkered' down. I haven't experienced this phenomenon on any other road system but because of that one time its always on my mind when I'm out in the open like that! I weigh in at 185lbs and am 5'7". I was not using the side bags for that trip, and have no top case. The windshield was down at the time.
REALLY good to know, thanks! It's probably my biggest concern about getting a bike with full body work. I live in the country outside Toronto and am surrounded by flat fields and open highways. When the wind blows (and there's always a wind) it comes right across the road and used to push the XX willy-nilly into the next lane. Not fun. :wacko:

Hi Mike

I find that wind is just something you have to deal with on any bike. Some bikes are better than others but the fjr is just fine. The other concern I have for you as others have mentioned is the commuting aspect. I don't think you will be happy in Toronto stop and go traffic with the clutch. If you are in stop and go traffic your left arm will be very sore after half an hour of this. The AE may be better for you. It depends on your commute. Speaking of commuter bikes I think that the old Honda Pacific Coast is the best commuter bike ever produced. Just an opinion.

don

Hi. In response to several comments about commuting in city traffic using a clutch, I'd like to say that I appreciate everyone's input and respect their opinions but I don't think it's much of an issue. I've been doing the same commute on my Heritage for 3 years now (and lots of other city traffic over the years) and apart from having an overly-developed left forearm :D haven't had any ill effects. Seriously, the clutch thing doesn't bother me, it's just part of the deal and frankly I can't imagine riding a bike that didn't have one: I'm an old(er) guy with old ideas.

Now the heat thing is a concern. Sitting in traffic with a big ol' engine throwing monstrous amounts of heat up at my more"delicate" regions is something I can live without. What's the FJR like in that regard?

Cheers.

Howdy. New guy here and I'd like to pick some brains, if I may. I have seriously fallen in like with the looks of the FJR and on paper and in reviews it certainly sounds top-notch. But I would like to hear some feedback from folks who actually ride them and I guess there might be one or two of 'em here. :D
  1. I had a '97 XX(Blackbird) and while it was by far one of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden, it did have two drawbacks that I found disturbing. While not a hyper sportbike, I still found the weight on the wrists uncomfortable after a relatively short time, even after I added Gen-Mar risers. How does the FJR compare? I know it's much more upright but is there still a forward lean that gets uncomfortable after several hours? I'm 5'8" btw, so I'm not towering over the bars.
  2. The other problem I found with the XX - and it was a big one - was that in any kind of crosswind it danced all over the place. All that gorgeous bodywork acted like a mainsail in anything over a gentle breeze and resulted in a few unscheduled lane changes. :bigeyedsmiley: It got so I didn't want to take it out unless it was perfectly calm. I've ridden other bikes in near-gale conditions with little problem, so I think I'm safe in assuming it wasn't me, but maybe it was. Thoughts?
  3. In addition to hoping to do some semi-serious touring with the FJR, it would also be my daily commuter into the city. It needs to be able to haul my gym bag, office crap (laptop, etc) plus ever handy rainsuit, etc. Luggage sufficient for that? How is the bike in stop'n'go city traffic? Chore to ride or is it ok?
Really appreciate the feedback folks. Brochures and sales teams only tell you so much; it's the daily riders who know the full story.Cheers.
CM ,, I haven't been on a XX ( would really like to try one) ,, but I did have a CBR1000F.. I liked it a lot but had problems with my hands going to sleep.

Ended up having carpal tunnel surgery ...

The FJR is smoother ,, more comfortable ,, handles as good or better ,, and feels as fast as the CBR ..( it's so smooth the speed thing is hard to judge)

I've had a Ventura pack system on my last 3 bikes ,, it's a rack system with soft bags that I use when I travel ,, when I don't need it ,, the rack can be

replaced with a grab bar in just a few seconds.. Hard to tell it's even on the bike ,with just the grab bar..

Might want to check it out if the hard bags aren't enough storage...

IMO the FJR is the best bike I've own / rode ... Good luck on your decision ,,,

( I also enjoyed the little Intruder I had once ,, wouldn't mind getting another one someday ,, just to putt around town on ,,,)

What's the FJR like in that regard?Cheers.
I've put 29K miles on my '07 purchased in May '08. The first time I ran into a "heat problem" was on the way to WFO-8 near Redding, Ca when the temps were 113F. I had a air mesh pants on and my shins got hotter than "heck". I pulled my high top socks back up and things were fine again. Before that, I've been across the Nevada deserts a couple of times with no problems with the heat.

IMHO a very easy bike to ride. My 17 year old daughter did a 2300 mile trip this summer.

I have an '05

A few comments:

1. lots of engine heat, mostly welcome here in MN. some good low cost options for reducing it if you ride in an area where it'd be a problem.

2. stock windshield caused a vacuum that created a "push in the back". I hated it! fixed with an aftermarket windshield.

3. bar risers a necessity.

4. on occasion for no reason I can determine right handgrip buzzes enough to numb my hand. doesn't happen very often so I ignore it when it does.

5. great commuter bike. lots of room for stuff, excellent weather protection.

6. overall a really nice bike and probably the one I'd keep if I had to keep only 1 bike. fast enough to be fun, decent tourer, great commuter, and best looking.

my 2 cents.

Had my FJR for about 4 weeks now, 1600 miles and it's great, braking and handling are top notch.

Had some issues shifting and working the clutch at first but getting smother by the day. LOVE the FJR

I can't add much either, but this is the nicest bike I have ever owned. No regrets at all, smooth, all the power I would want, turns heads, and not heavy. Easy to ride around town and or on the highway. Maintenance friendly... I bought my 05 for $7.k with 10.5k miles on it, so it was a decent purchase.. Bar risers, cramp busters, throttle return spring mod, and throttle lock.. makes me a happy camper even more.

This is my third bike in two years, but I found "the one"

Buck 05 FJR

Dls.TX

... commuting in city traffic using a clutch, ... but I don't think it's much of an issue.... I'm an old(er) guy with old ideas. ...
When you're as old as I am, you will appreciate the electric control. An unforgiving little finger joint made it impossible for me to use a conventional clutch lever. YCC-S is the only way I can keep on (sensible[?]) two wheels. Easy to learn to use (even for an oldy), just needs extra care at very low speeds.

By the way, assuming you're after a fairly new or new model, don't take any notice of heat issues from riders of '03 to '05 FJRs, the '06 and onward are much better heat managed. Of course, that's never been a problem for me in the UK!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '08 AE and I absolutely love the shifter. Give one a test ride. You may just like it.

Just remember, at low speed, say... under 2k rpm / under 10 mph, use your rear break lightly to keep the YCCS system from engaging the clutch. With the added drag it will slip the clutch as needed.

Here in Vegas the only place I notice the 'sail' effect is on I95/Indian Springs... Anyone who's familiar with that area knows that there is a horrendous cross-wind, and even naked bikes are leaning hard into the wind. The wind is so bad that they actually slope the highway in the direction of the Santa Anna winds, but I digress..

Other than that, I've never really had any real issues with crosswinds. The bike is heavy enough that it is very stable on the highway.