Considering an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burbs

Reaction score
I posted my plight under the introduction forum, but just a quick recap;

I'm a current Ducati Multistrada owner and I think it's time for me to switch to a more reliable and cost effective motorcycle.

As much as I love my Multi, it's the little things that bother me like valve guide issues, non-waterproof dash, major services every 6K, etc. !

I want to ask some questions, and gain as much knowledge as possible, so be on the lookout for questions from me....so I apologize in advance for asking so many questions in the near future because I'm sure some will want to kill me! :ranting2:

After riding the Multi, there are several things that I'm looking for;

The Multi is too tall for me and I want to have something that I can put my feet down completely.

Is the dash waterproof?

What do you figure the maintenance cost ranges are? What is the threshold for major services? Ducati is every 6K and they cost a fortune.

This is it for now, though I'm sure I'll have more. I'll do a more in depth search on the forum, but I wanted to strike up a conversation.....or message posting conversation. <_<

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I posted my plight under the introduction forum, but just a quick recap;I'm a current Ducati Multistrada owner and I think it's time for me to switch to a more reliable and cost effective motorcycle.

As much as I love my Multi, it's the little things that bother me like valve guide issues, non-waterproof dash, major services every 6K, etc. !

I want to ask some questions, and gain as much knowledge as possible, so be on the lookout for questions from me....so I apologize in advance for asking so many questions in the near future because I'm sure some will want to kill me! :ranting2:

After riding the Multi, there are several things that I'm looking for;

The Multi is too tall for me and I want to have something that I can put my feet down completely.

I'm 5'9" with 29" inseam...no problem with me handling it fast and slow...actually a little lower than my Goldwing, and I have a thicker aftermarket Sargent seat

Is the dash waterproof?

as far as I know and it rains cats and dogs down here in the deep south...attended SFO in pouring rain for 4 days and I think the dash was the only thing dry

What do you figure the maintenance cost ranges are? What is the threshold for major services? Ducati is every 6K and they cost a fortune.

I change my own oil and filter every 5k and it's quite easy. Rear drive fluid every 10k and same easiness.

Tires are tires and my PR2's with mostly highway riding went 15k rear and 25k front

Valve check is every 26k and most all don't need an adjustment. Check is $100 and adjust is $350.

CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) should be changed every 50k and the chain about every 80-100k.

Chain can be changed easily whenever the valves are adjusted and part is about $25.

CCT is an easy do it yourself and the part is about $75.

Fast, more serious riders than moi change out or upgrade the suspension, but I'm finally changing the shock to another stock one at 100k miles (my stearing head bearings are now due as well).

This is it for now, though I'm sure I'll have more. I'll do a more in depth search on the forum, but I wanted to strike up a conversation.....or message posting conversation. <_<

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting Patriot.

I can do the normal oil change, and basic maintenance. Like I said, it gets very cumbersome to have a major service every 6,000 miles, not to mention, I have to go somewhere that is over 3 hours from house to get it serviced at an independent mechanic, who does incredible work at a great price. I lost faith in my original dealer, and that kind of started this downward spiral. There are so few Ducati dealers that I trust for service, but with the Japanese nameplates, there are so many more options, not to mention, better chance of part availability!! :yahoo:

Chris

Chris,

Every bike I have owned had a water proof dash, it MUST be since motorcycles get caught in the rain. Not sure why your Multi leaks water in the dash. Something is wrong with your bike!!

I have a 2008 with about 6000 mils on it and only did 3 oil changes. I don't expect anything major for at least the first 30, 000 miles with only a valve adjustment needed by that time.

I would say if you were going to buy used go with at least a 2008 or 2009.

Good Luck

Rob

Burbs,

I have lots o'bikes in the stable. Some run, some don't. Harley Ultras to /2 Beemers to Cagivas to ATK's, to CrZy8, my FJR. Maintenance wise, the easiest is the /2 Beemers. After that, surprisingly enough, is the FJR.

Yes, the FJR dash is waterproof. Me, the rider, not so much.

Every 30k or so is my personal maintenance schedule requiring *outside* assistance. The other stuff is really easy, oil, filters, batteries, lube, (once you get over Tupperware-Itis) :rolleyes:

IIRC, valves are *supposed* to be looked at every 26k? My 06 easily out distances that mark and still stay within spec.

Height wise, I have no clue or opinion for you. Some say the FJR sits tall. I'm at 6 foot, with seat in high position, and custom saddle + 1.5 inches of foam (bad knees). I'd rather tiptoe .002% of the time and be comfie the rest...

I think the FJR and you would be a good fit - good luck, keep us posted?