Considering used 05 FJR, questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In10city

Reaction score
Hello folks, this is my first "official" post here and I found my way from the Sport-Touring.net where I'm a member with the same username. I've been a long time member at the ZZRbikes.com forum as a ZZR1200 owner.

I've been cursed by the dreaded pitted cams in the ZZR and took it in for warranty repairs and almost a month later, I'm still without the bike. I'm disgusted with Kawasaki and in spite of my 17 year loyality to them I'm done.

I've been looking at the FJR for about a year now as a possible addition to my fleet so I can take my wife with me on rides. I don't feel comfortable putting her on the back of the ZZR because the passenger "seat" is not very big and sits above me. WHen I get on the brakes, she ends up going for a piggy back ride.

I found a 2005 FJR1300 NON-ABS at a Honda dealership with 13K on the odometer. They are asking $9,200 plus $300 tax for the bike. I started it up yesterday and let it warm up for a while and rode it around the parking lot. There is NO ticking and the engine runs very smoothly. I did notice some hesitation when I "blip" the throttle but that may be from the FI, I only have experaince with carbs.

I'm taking it to my local Yamaha dealership today to let the mechanic check it out for me and would like to make an offer if it checks out OK. The Kelly Blue Book value shows $9770 but the typical mileage for that is 10,500. What should I offer if all is well?

BTW, great forum. I hope to become a 'real' member very soon...

My only thought is to search for for sale bikes here and on cycletrader.com before you buy this one. You'd be suprised what you can find. Lots of times in the $10K range you'll get an '05 with a lot of extras onboard, like a bigger windscreen, etc.

Regardless, you can't go wrong with an FJR. It's only my second bike, but it's so impressive.

Just my $.02.

Thanks Jay. I'm working this deal because it is local and I can take it half a mile to my friends at the Yamaha dealership and let them look it over for me. I'm pretty good with most general maintenance but I know absolutely NOTHING about the Yamaha motorcycles...yet.

I've seen some great deals here but I don't want to work out the logistics of travelling over 500 miles just to take a look at one in person...

Can't blame you on the logistics thing. If Cycle Trader doesn't have anything, then get this guy. The logistics things was why I ended up just getting an '06 I happened across.

in10city - my '05 FJR was the first Yamaha I've ever owned of the nine I've had and it's the best bike of the bunch.

Normal, routine maintenance on the FJR is easy and well thought out as it gets.

I am just about 50 miles away from 30k miles on mine and it's running very strongly.

The FJR is a great bike for the money.

I've spent about 6 months talking myself into it. Since I spotted the FJR a week ago I've really convinced myself it's the right thing to do. I've run the insurance numbers and it's not much worse than my ZZR and I've secured a loan with a 6.1% interest rate for 60 months so I can't think of any good reason not to do it. At this point, it all hinges on what the service department discovers when I ride it by there...

Lots of good info here at the forum. I'll continue "studying" for a couple of hours and then go do some wheeling and dealing.

I've spent about 6 months talking myself into it. Since I spotted the FJR a week ago I've really convinced myself it's the right thing to do. I've run the insurance numbers and it's not much worse than my ZZR and I've secured a loan with a 6.1% interest rate for 60 months so I can't think of any good reason not to do it. At this point, it all hinges on what the service department discovers when I ride it by there...
Lots of good info here at the forum. I'll continue "studying" for a couple of hours and then go do some wheeling and dealing.
Good luck....hope you get the deal you want.... :) ....

If he's asking 9.2 + 300, offer him 9K out the door - would be a good deal!
Wow you've got ESP! I'm impressed! ;)

If the mechanic says it's good, I'm going to make that exact offer. If they find issues, I'll offer less that and quote the issues. I do all my own motorcycle maintenance so I can probably address most routine stuff if it needs to be dealt with.

OK Folks, I got the 2005 FJR out the door for $9K! I took my wife to get safety gear and off we went last night. This was the first real ride she's had as a pillon and was content with a quick 100 mile loop. She's so hooked, it reminded me of the first night I brought home my first bike 17 years ago.

Bike ran great, plenty of power and grunt but MUCH smoother running and shifting than any Kawasuckie I've ever owned. The gear box is smooth as silk!

I'll be changing the oil and cleaning off all the bugs before I take some photos. I'll try to post them up Tuseday when I get back to work, I'll be too busy riding between now and then.

Thanks for all the info here, I'll be around very soon to join in the fun here.

Later!

Rick

OK Folks, I got the 2005 FJR out the door for $9K! I took my wife to get safety gear and off we went last night. This was the first real ride she's had as a pillon and was content with a quick 100 mile loop. She's so hooked, it reminded me of the first night I brought home my first bike 17 years ago.
Way to go! :thumbsup:

I'll be cleaning off all the bugs before I take some photos.

Remember, "A clean bike is a gay bike" WC.

I have an FJR and what happens from here on out is up to you. Travelling with a passenger is a great thing, so is passenger comfort. Consider getting the top box and using that as a backrest without the back rest pad fitted. If you ride hard you will be looking for a better rear shock. I am extremely happy with my FJR, what city are you in or near.

Neville

Thanks Neville, I've got a Givi topcase on order already for my ZZR so I'll get an adapter plate for the FJR and just swap it out as necessary.

I just did my first oil change and couldn't be happier with how easy it was compared to what I'm used to. The oil was overfull from the dealership so that is now corrected. I adjusted the shift linkage up a half inch and raised the clutch lever up as well and now it feels perfect for my ergos. I just re-set the rear shock to "Hard" and the rebound to 10 clicks from all the way in. We'll go for another ride and see how that feels. The original settings were very comfortable but honestly felt a bit soft from what I'm used to. I have left the fronts alone for now until I get some real seat time and see what I think.

Here's my "gay" clean bike:

1st_bath.jpg

Later!

Rick
Congratulations on your new bike for 9K OTD. I agree that the stock suspension is a little on the soft side. Nothing wrong either with a clean 'gay' bike. :D

The gear box is smooth as silk!
Take it back... it must be broken! Just kidding... a lot of FJR riders complain about the gear box, but I also find it smooth. I guess it's just what you are used to and what your previous rides have been.

You didn't mention the seat, so I guess you found it comfortable? I replaced my stock seat with a Corbin after the second day of ownership!

Enjoy the new bike and I expect you to put lots of miles on it!

The gear box is smooth as silk!
Take it back... it must be broken! Just kidding... a lot of FJR riders complain about the gear box, but I also find it smooth. I guess it's just what you are used to and what your previous rides have been.

You didn't mention the seat, so I guess you found it comfortable? I replaced my stock seat with a Corbin after the second day of ownership!

Enjoy the new bike and I expect you to put lots of miles on it!
I've found the 05 I bought to be great in every respect except two:

1) The gearbox is pretty alright except for the clunk from neutral to first. It's pretty pronounced, though to be honest no worse than any other bike I've owned. For whatever reason, the only bikes I've ever been on that didn't have the clunk were my wife's Ninja 250 and an 1985 XL350 I owned. But just because it's common doesn't mean it's not annoying.

2) The heat on my lower left leg and on the insides of the thighs when the tank is low. It's only an issue when it's hot out (85 degrees plus), but it's still vaguely surprising that Yamaha didn't notice this while designing the bike.

That petulant whining aside, I'm quite happy with the bike and plan to keep her for a long time.

Besides, everyone with the right opinion knows that the '05s are better looking, handle better, and are quicker and faster. B)

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA (but not for long!)

Well I did my local 40 loop with some twists and turns and got a chance for some solo riding on the FJR. It is confidence inspiring in the corners and has plenty of low end torque. It does not pull as hard as the ZZR but I didn't buy it for racing so I'm more than happy.

I think the seat on there is stock but to me it feels like a recliner. I've been riding nothing but Kawasaki sport bikes for the last 17 years so I guess you could say I'm a hard-ass. :p

The heat is noticeable but about the same as my ZZR so I'm not considering it a 'complaint'. It will be nice in the winter though for my cold morning commutes.

I'm also used to Kawasaki gear boxes which will "CLUNK" into first worse than the FJR. There are also tall spots between 5th and 6th gear that can leave you in a false neutral with the Kawasaki's. I've had a few misses between 4th and 5th with the FJR but I'm still getting used to the ergos on this one and still need adjust the shift linkage and clutch lever a bit to get tuned in.

I'm loving this bike already. It's nice to just push the start button and let it start without tuning in the choke cable and waiting for it to warm up. There are differences between chain and shaft which I'm getting used to and I'll continue to adjust to the low RPM FI transitions.

Great bike, it has lived up to every expecatation I've had of it all along and I'm happy and proud to be an FJR owner.

I kind if like the petulant whining as well...