Consistant Wire Colors - all FJR generations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Before I go down too far in this potential rabbit hole and start CUTTING into things, allow me to consult with our awesome FJRForum collective knowledge.

I am looking for anyone who would contend the following is NOT true:

Below you see a shiny black wire harness as it travels (yellow arrows) toward the various rear lamp housings:

FJE_GenIII_rear_brake_harness.jpg

I am reasonably sure Yamaha kept the wire color schema identical across all generations.

When I cut into this wire harness, I expect to find (among the individual wires):

• Running light: Blue/red wire
  • Brake light: Yellow wire
  • Ground: Black wire
If anyone thinks this is NOT TRUE for the 1st year Gen III, the asphalt-colored 2013 model... I am all ears.

I know... I need to break down and buy a Service Manual. Have only had the bike 5 years...
banghead.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you considering a cut?

Gen 3 bikes, cruise control, brake light modulators, and/or LED get weird.

Concur on plug and play solutions...or get to searching and reading on potential pitfalls before you go dyke-happy.

Notice my "or". I hope your 80 mph cruise remains functional afterwards. ;)

I did it without undesireable consequences. It was nearly four years ago, so I have no memory of colors. And, what the hell do you mean "asphalt-colored"?!?!?!?!? It is a gorgeous bronzish, grey-like, sorta dark metallic champagne, copper tone beauty.

According to my 2013 manual that is correct, and I added an additional LED brake light to my lower fender (nice and bright), and spliced into the yellow wire if memory serves. I used t light prob to find the correct wire as the manual diagram is a little vague.

2013 = "Stone Grey" light grey, silvery color
2013-fjr-3.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

2015 = Liquid Graphite (or, as FredW likes to say, ass-phalt grey)
35073398753_a54c4c938f_c.jpg

<edited to restore photo KIDNAPPED AND HELD HOSTAGE by photobucket.>

Soooo.... if we can get back to the topic for a moment...
rolleyes.gif
I'll show y'all the results.

Yep, I found things exactly as expected after The Slice. There are the bottom three target wires, nicely presented: blue running light, black ground, yellow brake light:

3_Wires.jpg

This allowed for a clean, sanitary, install of the Back Off LED Plate Frame, sans wiring (note dual, hugely-bright LED Bars). The whole back end looks quite tidy:

tidyPlate.jpg

Alex's awesome rear 3M reflective decals.... a hit in the FJR community for many, many years.... you can't tell in this photo, obviously, but trust me: theses decals are brighter than hell when lit up by vehicle headlights. Oh, yes. Believe me.

realtimedecals.jpg

The LED Bar is an amazing match to stock running lights, and are an additional punch when brake lights are activated,

Happy with this install.
punk.gif

Go for it I just whacked into to my ass-fault "13" yellow wire 48 hrs ago, and its worked perfectly ever since.

Soooo.... if we can get back to the topic for a moment...
rolleyes.gif
I'll show y'all the results.

Alex's awesome rear 3M reflective decals.... a hit in the FJR community for many, many years.... you can't tell in this photo, obviously, but trust me: theses decals are brighter than hell when lit up by vehicle headlights. Oh, yes. Believe me.

Happy with this install.
punk.gif
OK, I'm an FJR newby, so where does one get these cool looking decals?

Nice install Dale!

Are you running the modulator? This looks clean.

No modulator. Straight up LED lights, is all. But they are some bright puppies, I will say that.

The stainless steel hardware that comes in the kit is quite impressive. The bolt is a polished, countersunk hex-head, it takes a 4mm allen wrench. The Nyloc fasteners come with polished stainless flat washers, and it makes for a tight fit back there. They are also somewhat odd in size; you need a 11-mm open end wrench. Four sets of this extreme hardware seems like overkill, but then again, the powder-coated Back-Off plate is a rather hefty unit itself.