Cool new gadget marries Spot with GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I've been eyeing another GPS that I can take with my Husky; one which will include topo maps, a compass, and altimeter, so I can use it to map trails. My wife also got me a SPOT II so she wouldn't worry as much on my rides about where I was.

Stumbled across this interesting post. Delorme will ship this unit in May 2010, and with the SPOT bundled, it runs about $550. It combines their new PN-60w handheld GPS with the Spot system. The Spot devices appears to be a small receiver/transmitter puck, coupled wirelessly to the Delorme GPS.

delorme-pn-60w-and-spot-communicator.jpg

All the benefits of SPOT, but with this incredibly cool feature: the ability to track and send messages other riders who are using SPOT/PN-60W. This is super handy on the trail or in situations where you lose track of folks in your riding group (ahem...Panman).

wirelessnetwork_map.jpg

map.jpg

It also overlays routes onto downloaded aerial images. Plus, using the SPOT network, you can transmit short messages to your friends.family.

With a smaller screen, lack of Bluetooth, and decidedly off-road focus, it will not replace your Zumo for on-road use. But ultra cool off-road gadget, and an awesome backup to an existing GPS, plus if you ride off-road, this is a perfect all in one SPOT and GPS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. If I didn't already have a SPOT, I'd consider it. But at that price it would be difficult to justify as a second GPS to the wife unit. It does look nice.

Maybe Delorme has cured some of the PN40 issues with the new 60 model. Will be interesting to hear some user reports if anyone shells out the bucks for the combo. Thanks for the heads-up Hudson.

Can you train old dogs?
...depends if they want to be trained. ;)

Pretty cool gadget Hudson. Are you going to include a description of this during geek squad training?

--G

Sure. My new SPOT was sent back under a recall, and I may end up returning it and getting the Delorme, but will see. I am pretty familiar with similar tracking software.

Can you train old dogs?
...depends if they want to be trained. ;)

Pretty cool gadget Hudson. Are you going to include a description of this during geek squad training?

--G

Sure. My new SPOT was sent back under a recall, and I may end up returning it and getting the Delorme, but will see. I am pretty familiar with similar tracking software.
hope it works better than the new spot! I'd bet it has the same issues!!!!

I was told by Spot that the issues with the new Messenger related to the Battery light indicator. Evidentally, it was programmed to light up the low battery indicator when the batteries really weren't low. Since SPOT thought this might be potential hazard, they decided to recall all the new messengers to fix this.

Odd. Since the new Delorme seems to be sold with the SPOT option and without it, I may end up keeping my SPOT and just buying the Delorme. Wish someone else could be the guinea pig.