cooling system problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk1

Reaction score
I put my 2004 fjr in for service last fall (14000 miles on it) which included a coolant replacement. When I left the dealers, the bike began to overheat within about 3 miles. I continued home and took the fairing off the nex day and found that the overflow tank was empty. Called the service guy and he said that he had filled the radiator once, then ran the bike, but forgot to top off the overflow tank. I picked up a quart of coolant and put it in till the tank came up to normal levels.

Still when I ride the bike, it hits 4 bars on the gauge within a couple of miles and the fans run almost constant. Was gonna take it back to dealer here in Richmond but they have gone out of business.

Before I bother with taking it to another dealer, any thoughts out there? Is this sound more like a thermostat problem now?

Jayhawk 1

I put my 2004 fjr in for service last fall (14000 miles on it) which included a coolant replacement. When I left the dealers, the bike began to overheat within about 3 miles. I continued home and took the fairing off the nex day and found that the overflow tank was empty. Called the service guy and he said that he had filled the radiator once, then ran the bike, but forgot to top off the overflow tank. I picked up a quart of coolant and put it in till the tank came up to normal levels.
Still when I ride the bike, it hits 4 bars on the gauge within a couple of miles and the fans run almost constant. Was gonna take it back to dealer here in Richmond but they have gone out of business.

Before I bother with taking it to another dealer, any thoughts out there? Is this sound more like a thermostat problem now?

Jayhawk 1
I would either pay for or (more likely) perform a second service myself to spec. Full drain/flush & fill. If this doesn't solve the problem, only then start looking into the HW side.

One step at a time.

Cheers,

W2

Jay,

More than likely you have an Air Bubble in the System, the Sensor/Relay may not trip. In this case you should Burb the System (get the Air Out) and this may solve your problem.

Fill with Coolant and take off your radiator cap then I would run the bike until you reach the opening of the Thermostat, Check your coolant, and then put back on the Radiator Cap. Hopefully this will purge your system of Air Pockets in the System.

While your are at it, Do Check All of your Hoses, especially the Small ones. I had some minor coolant escaping recently and found several of the Small Hose Clamps were not Tightened down properly (after a recent shop service). Solved the problem... no more leaks.

Good Luck with your fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to those who replied and others that i found using search. I burped the system, added some water, then took her out for a 5 mile loop. She never got above 2 bars on the temp gauge. So, this saved me a trip to the dealers and probably over $100.00. Appreciate all the technical smarts and experience here.

George