Corbin Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I went to a small bike gathering over here in Montreal and I met someone who made a few modifications to his '05 FJR and one of them was a Corbin trunk.

I gotta say, I love the looks of it. I was looking at a solution to carry some stuff around (spare helmet shields, small first aid kit, cell phone etc...) without necessarily having the 2 big cases on the bike. That corbin trunk looked like it hit the spot. It looks awesome, carries about 11.5 liters (close to 3 gallons) and appears to be of good quality.

I went home with the intention of purchasing one ... untill I saw the price. They are now asking for 799$ for that thing! Considering a centre trunk straignt from yamama is 538$ for 1.4 cubic feet, I was shocked to see that they are asking for 799 for such a small case. I know quality has a price, and labor here is expensive, but the price seems a bit out there

I know a few people purchased one, a few mentionned 599$ an a few different prices, but I was wondering if it was worth 800$.

Hi Guys,
I went to a small bike gathering over here in Montreal and I met someone who made a few modifications to his '05 FJR and one of them was a Corbin trunk.

I gotta say, I love the looks of it. I was looking at a solution to carry some stuff around (spare helmet shields, small first aid kit, cell phone etc...) without necessarily having the 2 big cases on the bike. That corbin trunk looked like it hit the spot. It looks awesome, carries about 11.5 liters (close to 3 gallons) and appears to be of good quality.

I went home with the intention of purchasing one ... untill I saw the price. They are now asking for 799$ for that thing! Considering a centre trunk straignt from yamama is 538$ for 1.4 cubic feet, I was shocked to see that they are asking for 799 for such a small case. I know quality has a price, and labor here is expensive, but the price seems a bit out there

I know a few people purchased one, a few mentionned 599$ an a few different prices, but I was wondering if it was worth 800$.
Which corbin trunk is it? corbin.com

wow, $800 !!! i thought they looked good, never looked up the price. "sticker shock"
Looks cool...but sux that your giving up the back seat....They have a generic rear trunk..here...

https://corbin.com/harley/hybrid/hdbox1h.shtml

But that one is $1100.................Corbin is too SPENDY!!!
I think I'd rather use the $800 for a day pack and a week vacation at some rickity hotel in the mountains with lots of fun riding. :rolleyes:

But...I did buy the Yamaha top box. I do a lot of two up touring though.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, $800 !!! i thought they looked good, never looked up the price. "sticker shock"
Looks cool...but sux that your giving up the back seat....They have a generic rear trunk..here...

https://corbin.com/harley/hybrid/hdbox1h.shtml

But that one is $1100.................Corbin is too SPENDY!!!
I think I'd rather use the $800 for a day pack and a week vacation at some rickity hotel in the mountains with lots of fun riding. :rolleyes:

But...I did buy the Yamaha top box. I do a lot of two up touring though.
I have had my Smuggler for about a year and I love it! It definitely is a lot of $$$, but if it lasts 5 years, it will be cheaper than a lot of things us bikers buy and then upgrade every other year!

Best Regards,

Shane

It all depends on where your priorities lie and how much disposable income you have. I bought the 48 liter Shad topcase with mounting bracket, backrest pad and brake lamp for $280 with shipping. Not the same quality as a Corbin maybe, but it works just fine.

A recent post also reported the tendency for the box to leak when exposed to water. I would have to also say that yes it looks very cool but would not spend my coin on it.

I love the fact that it's big enough to carry spare helmet shields. I want to carry both the clear and the tinted but you need the 2 big cases for that. Plus, I always ride solo so giving up the back seat is fine with me. the built-in glove compartment is decent but you can't fit in objects bigger than a wallet in that basically, and maybe some keys.

A decent tank bag for $75 or less will carry your shields. Probably get one that will easily carry more than that smuggler.

I've bought loads of farkles for my FJR, but I would not pay those $$$$'s for the Corbin smuggler just out of principal, I think it's grossly overpriced. I went the nelson rigg way.

I've bought loads of farkles for my FJR, but I would not pay those $$$$'s for the Corbin smuggler just out of principal, I think it's grossly overpriced. I went the nelson rigg way.

+1 on the overpriced. How do they even get away with that? Unless they are paying their employees $150/hour, that's an insane price. I'll put my trunk on if I have to carry that much. Does look nice though.

I think they are really betting that people will pay loads of money for that since not everyone likes the look of a tank bag. I'd pay 300-400$ for it because it looks awesome and it's really usefull but at 800, it made me lose my farkle boner very fast.

Holy Crap !! I bought my smuggler trunk about a year ago and it was $650 then but I bit the bullet and went for it....it is now over $800 bucks ? are these guys kidding ? BTW, I never thought the quality even approached the $650 price.

If Yamaha or some aftermarket manufacturer was smart, they would make 2 or 3 different size trunks for the FJR that were all able to mount to the FJR factory adapter plate.

I'm still uncided about that thing. For seeing it myself, it does look amazing and looks more finished than a tank bag but damn, 800$...

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $629 USD for one to fit my '05 delivered to my door. I was one of the original adoptors when they were first offered. I think all the comments so far in this thread are accurate, but what might be useless or overpriced to one rider may be just the ticket to another. I bought it for very specific reasons, and to me these justify the purchase. I haven't had it off the bike since October of 2005 and I'm happy with the build quality and utility for ME. I considered (and am still considering) a number of other mods, but spent my money on this instead.