Cornering confidence

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
Well, I was able to somehow finagle another ride on someone's goldwing Christmas eve (been debating between goldwing or putting money into my FJR when I return from being overseas for a year). been busy with the holidays, but here's what happened. He allowed me to meet him at his house and gave me the keys and a route to take. Said there's some pretty fun roads and they are nicely paved. Said the route should take about 3.5 hours, but he told me, "I felt bad about last time. We switched bikes so you really didn't get a chance to throw it around. So have some fun. Throw it into those curves and really give it a good run. She can take it."

Well, I admit I followed the advice. And I found that unlike my FJR, the GL1800 really seemed to feel like NOTHING going around those curves. I haven't really thrown my FJR into curves like the goldwing cause something about the FJR just doesn't make me feel safe enough. Maybe the roads have always looked like there'd be gravel, or maybe it's the fact that I sit more "on" the FJR as opposed to "in" the FJR, or maybe it's just the sheer size difference. But I TORE into those curves on the goldwing.

I mean, I found myself really concentrating on using that outside-inside-outside technique and found that after a little bit I was hustling into curves with a recommended speed of 35 MPH at slightly above double that. One time I entered a little too fast (I think it was around 80 - 85), but a little back brake and maintaining the lean angle kept me well within the lane. And I found myself scraping my sneakers around many curves.

So what is it about the goldwing that made it feel so easy? Like I said, I love my FJR, but I haven't tried anything like this on the FJR. It doesn't give me the confidence the goldwing does for some reason.

You think with practice and a different mentality (getting over whatever mental block I seem to have) that the FJR would feel just as "at home" as the goldwing around turns? I know it's built to do so, and SHOULD be able to do so just as well as the goldwing, but something about it just makes me feel awkward. Also, maybe it's because I hang a little off the FJR (just started kinda doing it since I read that it helps keep more tire on the road . . . I figured better safe than sorry)

Alexi

Hmmm, you may want to dial up Dr. Phil on this one. I have ridden my Dad's 2005 GW many times, and although it handles very well for an 800 plus pound bike, I cannot figure why you wouldn't have more cornering confidence on your feejer.

Given that riding corners well IS very much a "mental" state in addition to physical abilities, the feej should inspire much more confidence given better brakes, lower overall weight, better performance envelope, etc.

Get (back) out there on the feej and slice and dice some good corners, you'll feel better in no time.

I'll send you an invoice in the mail for the inspired advice in a few days.

biknflyfisher

Alexi,

I understand what you are saying here. I just rented an HD Road Glide and had it for a couple of days. It really did corner differently than my FJR. I felt more confident pushing it into the corners than I do on my FJR. It feels more solid and planted for some reason. It also feels like the weight of the bike is a lot lower. I was very surprised and had great time getting to know the big Harley.

Really heavy bikes feel different in turns ,more centripetal force and inertia is felt. Tires and setting up the suspension makes a huge difference too.

Take a look at your FJRs tires and suspension setup. Once dialed in, all should be good.

Hard to tell. We don't know all the variables; does you buddies bike have mods, does your bike need maintenance, etc., etc.? A little concerned you were doing some extra legal riding and wearing sneakers (any other gear missing; might say a little about your frame of mind or attitude towards riding, and please don't construe that I'm being judgemental, just saying). In the final analysis, maybe you need to get a 'Wing'; nothing wrong with that either.

I know what you mean & I share your pain. To me, I have thought all along that my '04 FJR is a hard bike to ride in the twisties. It will do it, but it has to be forced to ride smooth in the mountains. It's a very technical bike to ride. My'02 S3T Buell is a lot easier to turn & therefore a lot more fun to ride, in the mountains. Then again, if I could only have one, it would have to be the FJR as it's the best compromise of any I have ever ridden.

Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Wait, I'm still trying to come to grips with hitting 85 MPH on a 35 MPH corner on a friend's $19,000 bike and while wearing tennis shoes . . . ! Whoa . . . .

Sounds to me like you are trying to find a reason to buy the wing. If the wing fits you better and gives you the confidence you desire then by all means sell the FJR and buy a wing. All we have ever tried to tell folks here is to buy the bike that fits you and if the wing is it then so be it. Just ride.

I can't imagine myself firing a GW into a corner hard on the brakes, a couple quick backshifts and laying down a darkie on exit while trying to steer a light front wheel into the next corner. Its hard enough on a FJR!

I came from putting 250K miles on wings. They are very capable for what they are and I liked my last one ('03) a lot. That said, they just don't hold a candle to the fjr in the handling department. Annually I changed by footpegs on the wing due to measuring the road surface with them. I have touched the fjr's pegs just once. There is a lot more 'over' with the fjr and running it through the twisties is something I really enjoy. I'll never be a squid but for me the fjr is the fun bike to be on in the backroads.

Hey Alexi!

I owned an 1800 GW prior to my '05 FJR. I will say that the GW for the behemoth it is at 900 lbs does handle amazingly well. But it is no FJR in the twistys! I did find that the FJR is highly affected by tire design, tire air pressure and suspension set up.

The GW does have a lower center of gravity than an FJR, which has a higher CG, closer to a sport bike's set up, that has a higher yet CG, but with considerably less weight. I believe this factor may be influencing your judgement.

The solution being practice, practice and more practice...

Hope this helps. Oh, and Happy New Year!

JC

the answer may just be more simple

if your goal is to go faster the fjr will kill the gw,

but if your goal is just to have fun then ride what ever you like,the g/w is fun because the speeds are slower,an avg rider can ride close to all out on the wing and that does feel good

i went from the wing to an sv650,the sv is capable of much faster speeds than the wing but i did not care it just is not as fun for me,this is all about fun in my book!!!

the answer may just be more simple
if your goal is to go faster the fjr will kill the gw,

but if your goal is just to have fun then ride what ever you like,the g/w is fun because the speeds are slower,an avg rider can ride close to all out on the wing and that does feel good

i went from the wing to an sv650,the sv is capable of much faster speeds than the wing but i did not care it just is not as fun for me,this is all about fun in my book!!!
I think this might be what happened. The wing is more forgiving and since it has a lower limit, I felt like I was riding faster since it was leaned all the way. Maybe on those same roads, I could have gone the same speed on the FJR and not felt like I was undomfortable, and maybe had I pushed it to the point of scraping pegs, I would have felt uncomfortable with the speed.
Well, I love the FJR, and I'm still debating back and forth as to modify it a bit or get a goldwing. Love the goldwing too as it is. plus with an extended warranty it's 7 years warranty. But it's a HUGE chunk of change I'd have to lay down. And I have a low mileage FJR.

I have a feeling I'll end up owning both and just taking a year or two to figure out which I'm gonna get rid of (and after that maybe not end up getting rid of either and just trying to justify to my woman having two touring bikes . . .)

Alexi

PS - For those concerned, I said "sneakers", but they were boots with sneaker like rubber on the bottom. Converse military/police style boots. I feel they give great protection for probably half the price of a dedicated "motorcycle" boot. Plus they are VERY comfortable to wear when you get where you're going. And I'm a ATGATT person (with the exception of padded jeans, but that will be corrected when I return from deployment).

Perfect Timing on a Excellent Topic! :yahoo: Thanks Alexi. I'm riding a 01 Goldwing, thats the 1800, and I'm looking at changing rides to perhaps an FJR; so timely indeed. I know exactly what you mean as I feel it myself in the corners, very planted and solid at "more than" :thumbsupsmiley: the posted limit.... but in traffic for me, it's a killer. I do enjoy my Wing when I'm able to get away, but if you use your ride for transport as well as recreation you need consider all aspects.

PS: In my 21 years of marriage I've found it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, your circumstances may dictate otherwise!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to agree with some other replies on here.. I'm betting that your suspension isn't setup properly.

The symptoms you described were exactly the same as mine, until I changed the suspension settings.

Hey Alexi, I know just what you are talking about. I got my 08 last March, and coming off a VTX 1800, I thought the X was better feeling in the corners than the FJR. But after reading the forum here about suspension setup, I thought I would use the initial setup in HaulinAshes write-up and go from there. Well the initial setup was for a 183 lb rider, and it made a HUGE difference in the bikes handling! Also, the front OEM tire,(Bridgstone BT021) was shredded after only about 3000 miles. I ordered a BT020 instead, and after it was scrubbed in, it was another major improvement in the handling feel. Instead of having to put a lot of pressure on the inside bar in corners, I could "set it and forget it". It truley made the FJR a pure joy to ride. I plan on trying the Michealan PR2's when the current tires wear out. Try the suspension setup and a new set of skins before giving up on her! It will be a cheaper solution if it works for you than shelling out big bucks for the Goldwing!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!