Cortech Sport Tail Bag Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwollenRaccoon

Reaction score
I have a Cortech Sport Tail Bag that I use on my VTR, along with the Sport saddlebags. I really like the tail bag, and wanted to add just a little storage to the FJR. I will be solo, but don't want the bulk of my factory top box. So, I went to the local fabric store, and fabricated a couple of short nylon web straps wiith buckles. I removed the buckles that were already a part of the tail bag (since I couldn't find a matching buckle size for it), and added my own buckles on each end. Then it was a matter of making short straps to match.

Now, take this for what it's worth. I wanted just a hint of security, so that the casual doofus couldn't just walk up and undo a couple of bungee hooks or clips, and walk away with my tail bag. With the straps that I made, the clips are on the bottom of the passenger section of the seat, and can't be unclipped unless the seat is removed. I also have some little luggage locks. They work to lock the zipper together on the main compartment, so it can't be unzipped. Any ass-hat that wants to walk up to it with a knife can just cut it open, or cut the straps and walk away with it. I just wanted a little security. When I make my trip, I won't have stuff like wallet, cell phone, and the like in there. Just some clothing and stuff like that.

Just thought this might provide some good ideas in case you want to add a tail pack of your own. Sorry about the photo quality.

A couple of shots on the bike.

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01777.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

Bottom of the seat, showing straps.

DSC01779.jpg

Little luggage lock, on main compartment zipper.

DSC01785.jpg

I like it too. I'm looking to add a small tail bag as well. I've tried a couple different tank bags and just don't care for something sitting on the tank. I think a tail bag would be just right. Agreed that high security items wouldn't go in there. But the glass cleaner, extra ear plugs and stuff like that would be great. I was also thinking about the little luggage locks. Looks like they work great. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Marc.

I forwarded the info about the guy that RaceTech'ed your shock to Jason, my coworker. He's going to have him do his FJR shock and forks. I may follow suit this summer. The RaceTech valves and springs changed my old SuperHawk into a whole new bike. Best thing I ever did to a bike.

Thanks for the info. I have a set of small saddlebags from RKA for my SuperHawk, and an RKA tank bag I use on the FJR. I like to buy directly from RKA, so I can talk to Richard.