Cortech Tail Bag Mounted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogie

Two Wheels Forever!!!
Reaction score
Got the new Tail Bag from Cortech and mounted it on the luggage rack with the backrest for the future Mrs. Bogie. :D

We are ready to explore the Smokies on the FJR in a couple weeks!!! :D

B-Day055.jpg

B-Day051.jpg

B-Day049.jpg

B-Day050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that rack, too, especially for mounting a tail bag like the Cortech.

If we had that rack back in June, a near fatal encounter with a pick-up might not have happened, just outside of Kanab, UT. I was preparing to turn left from a three lane highway to see the Coral Sand Dunes. My signal was on, I was going about twenty, and was in the center of the two lanes going my way. The third lane was for oncoming traffic, and was marked by a double solid line.

I knew the pick-up had been back there, and checked my mirrors one last time, just out of habit. I didn't see, but rather heard the danged thing as it swung around into the left, oncoming traffic lane to pass me. He missed us, but not by much. Why not use the right, clear, safe lane?

Later, after the initial shakes and anger wore off, we looked at the Cortech bag and found it had sagged over and covered the rear lights, including the turn signals. I had to accept partial blame, but also felt that murderous driver would probably have done the same thing, whether or not he or she had seen the signals.

DeathValleySp08044.jpg

You can see the sagging beginning here. I don't use the bungees that came with the Cortech tail bag anymore. 'Nothing but webbing for me.

Maybe I ought to get me one of them Gerauld racks, too. WBill

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Tourmaster version of this bag. It is almost identical. I love it! Have fun on your trip. Where are you planning to go?

I have the Tourmaster version of this bag. It is almost identical. I love it!

+1 on the Tourmaster version of that tail bag.

I run basically the same set up...but I have the Premier Cycle backrest and Lg. tail plate.

Got the large just so I wouldn't have that sag that WBill spoke of.

I feel that this setup is better because it is lighter than a topcase and it allows for more adaptability with different size bags depending on the trip.

Only drawbacks are that you can't lock it or the contents to the bike...and it's not as weather resistant.

Got the TourMaster bag too! Like to put it on Jeannes' seat when she's not riding.

Hooks up good to the hand grips with the built in bungies.

Waiting for Geraulds rack for two up trips. :)

I use this bag as a liner in my Givi V46 on long trips. Then, when I buy too much crap along the way, like t-shirts, MC gear,etc, I can attach the Cortech to the metal rack on top of the Givi and have lots more room to carry stuff.

I have the Tourmaster version of this bag. It is almost identical. I love it! Have fun on your trip. Where are you planning to go?

We are headed to Pigeon Forge, TN on the 13th of this month. Getting married on the 16th and then we are staying a week at Fontana Resort and Village in NC. Gonna hit the Dragon a few times early in the AM's beforethe LEO and crowds get out. Make a Cherahola SKyway Run, BLood Mountaiin, Little White Water RAfting, HOrse Back Riding.......pretty much cruise the Smokies and stop to do whatever are hearts desire. :D

Later, after the initial shakes and anger wore off, we looked at the Cortech bag and found it had sagged over and covered the rear lights, including the turn signals. I had to accept partial blame, but also felt that murderous driver would probably have done the same thing, whether or not he or she had seen the signals.
DeathValleySp08044.jpg

You can see the sagging beginning here. I don't use the bungees that came with the Cortech tail bag anymore. 'Nothing but webbing for me.
Accept partial blame? If your brake lights, turn signals and and running lights are obscured, it is just a matter of time before somebody runs over the back of you. Even with your extra reflective material on the bags, folks are still not going to know if you are stopping or turning. If you shower down on the brakes, a vehicle behind you will have a very tough time judging the closing speed on a bike with no brakes lights to clue him in to your stopping.