Couple of questions for the experts - 07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodidge

Reaction score
This is about the bike that I'm repairing. I discovered that the bike has a lowering kit installed which probably explaines why the center stand is absent. Is a new rear shock and/or spring a part of the lowering kit? If someone could give me a measurement, say center to center of the stock arms (3P6-2217M-00-00 Arm 1) so I could get an idea of how much it has been lowered, I'd appreciate it.

Also while installing the inner panels around the fork, I'm trying to determine whether or not I'm missing a panel. I can see the lower third of the battery with the panels on the right side installed. Is that normal? A pic would be nice.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to determine whether or not I'm missing a panel. I can see the lower third of the battery with the panels on the right side installed. Is that normal? A pic would be nice.
Actually, a pic from your side would be nice for this one.

Also while installing the inner panels around the fork, I'm trying to determine whether or not I'm missing a panel. I can see the lower third of the battery with the panels on the right side installed. Is that normal? A pic would be nice.
Thanks
That's normal. I can also see the lower part of the battery on my '07 with all the panels installed.

There are 4 black panels at the top, and they don't close at the bottom. Normal.

As for the shock, lowering kits are usually just a different length on the dogbone, not involving the shock or spring at all. I can't give you a measurement, thouhg, I have a 2003 bike.

The link in my '09, which has the same part number is approximately 7.5 inches on center (the forward bolt is behind the center center stand). Hope this helps you out.

There are 4 black panels at the top, and they don't close at the bottom. Normal.
As for the shock, lowering kits are usually just a different length on the dogbone, not involving the shock or spring at all. I can't give you a measurement, thouhg, I have a 2003 bike.
Some shocks can allow the height to be raised or lowered, such as a Wilbers.

The link in my '09, which has the same part number is approximately 7.5 inches on center (the forward bolt is behind the center center stand). Hope this helps you out.

The adjustable links on mine measure 7.75 inches on center. I guess that makes sense that you lengthen the link to lower the frame. I have not done any research, but what is the down side of lowering the frame other that dragging stuff sooner?

Thanks.

Lowering just the rear without the front makes for lazy steering. It won't want to turn very easily. Mainly it makes it easier to drag hard parts.

It is nice to be able to sit flat footed on the bike but I know it was manufactured at a particular height for a reason. When the opportunity arises for me to drop the pipes and put on the center stand I'll raise the bike to stock height. I'll keep on the lookout for stock dog bones.

I'm trying to determine whether or not I'm missing a panel. I can see the lower third of the battery with the panels on the right side installed. Is that normal? A pic would be nice.
Actually, a pic from your side would be nice for this one.
Here's a link to a web album showing the side photo of my 2007 FJR. Let me know if you need more. I can add photos on the fly to this album so just let me know.

Mike

Here's the link just in case the embedded photo does not work (which mine usually don't).

https://tinyurl.com/yfa93nu