Couple of questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny

Reaction score
To the Group:

Is there a way to set the clock on an 06 to 24 hour format rather then the 12? Being retired military I am used to the 24 hr. format. I would think that many of the Europeans would want 24 hr format.

The other question I have is about H-4 bulbs. In many of my other bikes to get better night lighting I always used 80/100w bulbs. I don't need to go to the expense of putting on aux lights .. but wonder if anybody else has done the bulb change? Recommendations? I have tried the different kinds of 'white' light bulbs but for some reason I can't see well with them .. the standard light of a regular H-4 always seems to do me better.

Thanks

Al in Tucson

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen any reference to changing from 12/24 hour on the FJR... My Aprilia only does 24 hour format, and seems like the FJR only does 12 hour format --

As for the bulb change -- never done that, but I'd be concerned about doubling the current (100 watt versus 55 watt) through the factory wiring harness. You can search for PHID installation (lower current, and much more light!) here on the forum -- people have done that.

Oh, that's a simple fix... Once you hit 1 PM just add 12 to the hours and voilà! Military time.

I know, don't thank me. I'm here to help.

:grin:

Can't remember for sure but I think there was some concern of the high wattage bulbs being too hot for the plastic headlight housing.

Can't remember for sure but I think there was some concern of the high wattage bulbs being too hot for the plastic headlight housing.
I had some 100/90 lights that had a green tint and they were bright but to much for the lens so tookem off and put in silver stars, but silver stars dont work well where you have alot of FOG :huh: , going up to MadMike2 for a ride it was pea soup fog where only in the San Joaquin do they get the Tule fog. Had to wait for a car to buy and then follow him til it ran out.

rogerfjrfaster

Have you tried the PIAA bright white bulb? I did on another bike and the change was quite significant. Wattage is the same as standard bulb, but much more light farther down the road.

As far as the 24 hour clock, you must have been in the Navy. I once read a joke in the Navy Times:

AFRS Announcer speaking:

"For you in the Navy, the time is sixteen hundred hours"

"For you in the Army, the time is four o'clock"

"For you in the Air Force, Mickey's little hand is on the four and his big hand is on the twelve"

Just kidding folks...

"For you in the Navy, the time is sixteen hundred hours""For you in the Army, the time is four o'clock"

"For you in the Air Force, Mickey's little hand is on the four and his big hand is on the twelve"
Okay, I'll bite. What do Marines call 4pm/1600 hours?

(When I was in the Navy barracks we used to call across to the Marine barracks at lights-out, "Goodnight, Grunts!"...to which they'd yell back, "Goodnight, Squids!" Gotta respect the Marines, though. Only tougher men I've met were Navy SEALs and Army Rangers.)

To the Group:
Is there a way to set the clock on an 06 to 24 hour format rather then the 12? Being retired military I am used to the 24 hr. format. I would think that many of the Europeans would want 24 hr format.

The other question I have is about H-4 bulbs. In many of my other bikes to get better night lighting I always used 80/100w bulbs. I don't need to go to the expense of putting on aux lights .. but wonder if anybody else has done the bulb change? Recommendations? I have tried the different kinds of 'white' light bulbs but for some reason I can't see well with them .. the standard light of a regular H-4 always seems to do me better.

Thanks

Al in Tucson

I used an 80/100 H4 bulb from JC Whitney in my old Venture and it worked very well, much better light and the bulb never failed over several years. It was only about 10 bucks.

I replaced my stock FJR bulbs with PIAA Super Plasma bulbs. They draw std 55/60 wattage but allegedly put out 100/110 watts. They have a very slight bluish white light. Got mine at www.Whitehorsegear.com. They are a real improvement over stockers but cost $50 each. (I had each of my kids buy me one for Xmas '05). :D

(When I was in the Navy barracks we used to call across to the Marine barracks at lights-out, "Goodnight, Grunts!"...to which they'd yell back, "Goodnight, Squids!" Gotta respect the Marines, though. Only tougher men I've met were Navy SEALs and Army Rangers.)

Izin the navy and was peein once in a bar and was zippen up my fly, in comes a marine. He sees me start to walk out and sez "Hey Squid, Dinay teach you to wash yer hands after you pee?" I looked him over and replied "Nope Gyreen, ay tot us dont pee onyer hands"

Marines are indeed tough SOB's I do respect them. I was in a RAG F18 outfit, Sailors and Marines. they never backed down from having my back when I started trouble in a bar. Took a whole battallion to keep me outta trouble some times but they always gave it hell, They are/were some solid guys.

"Any" service member deserves a "sierra hotel" I am having a beer in my leather chair free as a bird. They are standing on the fence line so I can do that in peace.

Sorry, this is something I feel strongly.... ** Steps off soap box**

Since we were one, happy family (most of the time), I guess I included them in with us squids...

That said, hats off and a hand over the heart to all of our servicepeople, whoever and wherever they be.

Believe it or not, we Air Force guys/gals went by the 24 hour clock as well. And, no, I never owned a Mickey Mouse watch.

Izin the navy and was peein once in a bar and was zippen up my fly, in comes a marine. He sees me start to walk out and sez "Hey Squid, Dinay teach you to wash yer hands after you pee?" I looked him over and replied "Nope Gyreen, ay tot us dont pee onyer hands"

Marines are indeed tough SOB's I do respect them. I was in a RAG F18 outfit, Sailors and Marines. they never backed down from having my back when I started trouble in a bar. Took a whole battallion to keep me outta trouble some times but they always gave it hell, They are/were some solid guys.

"Any" service member deserves a "sierra hotel" I am having a beer in my leather chair free as a bird. They are standing on the fence line so I can do that in peace.

Sorry, this is something I feel strongly.... ** Steps off soap box**

+1000

My brother and I did our duty. My dad and his brother did their duty. My nephew is doing his duty.

Two Navy (one WW2 and one Vietmnam era), Two Army (one buried in Europe in Mar of 1945 and one Vietman era), One Air Force (for the last 10 years). The current younger generation is doing a Bravo Zulu job of taking care of all of us. Not a thing missing their.

I couldn't be prouder of our Volunteers!!!!

FJRayJ

>>I haven't seen any reference to changing from 12/24 hour on the FJR... My Aprilia only does 24 hour format,<<

I chuckled to myself when I saw this question, since one of the most beaten to death questions from new Aprilia owners is How do I change the clock to 12 hour format. LOL.

Sonny, there's your answer... ride Aprilia. ;)