Covering Your FJR At Work, School, Etc...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getsum

Reaction score
I've been riding the FJR to work, college at night and to the gym more and more often but I haven't been covering it because of the PITA factor. I was just curious if there was anyone else taking the lazy route?

I always cover at work. I work in a paper mill and alot of the stuff floating in the air around is hard to remove from vehicles.

I have a Covermax cover that literally takes a few seconds to put on, so I cover it as often as possible if I am going to be away from it for an hour or so.

That way, I don't have to keep taking the GPS mp3 and V1 off all the time, now that is a PITA.

Skippy

Mine's never covered. She's in the garage at home and in covered parking at the office. I'd probably still leave her naked if I wasn't in covered parking though... She looks too good to cover her up.

Kind of like having a hot wife and leaving her at home because you don't want people looking at her, I guess. :agent:

I use a 1/2 cover over the bike while at work. Reason - during the summer months you can not touch any metal part of the bike which has been in direct sun-light without getting burned. This is before you warm the engine up. During the winter it keeps the seat dry. Lastly it's cheaper to replace a couple of 40 dollar 1/2 covers than a $500 seat due to exposure to the direct sun in any season.

At home, in garage, no cover. At work, in multi-story parking structure, no cover. Oh, yea, I don't own a cover. Should get one, though...

I use a GESA XL Cover at work.

A story told on GSXR.com...

tells of a Sport bike pilot who used to park his uncovered. In front of his work place.

Now, get this, he goes out one evening to ride home, and someone had put a lock on his bike!

Ha-Ha! Funny Co-workers, right?

No, he reviewed the parking lot security tape and a guy on an american made bike was seen riding back and forth slowly, twice.

No license plate visable.

The deal was, the Sport Bike Rider, after finding his bike locked, put his OWN lock on it too! (Smart Guy)

What has been happening, this being explained to the the Sport bike guy by the Cops, is The Bad Guy come back later and steals the bike. Like when the owners out trying to find a truck or alternate way to get the bike home.

So, If he had it covered, would it have made a differance?

What say you all?

At home in garage: I put a cover on.

Why? My young kids. They love to climb all over it and they have toys which I can tell are dying to scratch and dent my right pipe. I let them climb when I am watching, but otherwise the cover goes on.

-BD

I cover it when I ride it to work. I bought a Dowco that is designed to fit sport touring bikes. The thing fits like a glove. The secret to easily deploy a cover is how you fold it. When uncovering the bike, pull the cover off of the front wheel, then off of the rear (trapping it under the luggage rack), then fold the sides into the center, then roll up the front of the cover half way so that it sits on the drivers portion of the seat. Then roll the rear to the center. Gather it up and put it in the saddlebag

When it is time to cover the bike, you just set the cover on the seat, roll the front over the windshield, roll the rear over the tail and spread the sides. Works for me!

Oh, make sure that the bike has cooled a little before pulling the cover over the mufflers. Don't want melted cover on the mufflers!

Bananas!

Never covered, in the garage at home, I work from home, so I guess in the garage at work too.

My wife bought me the yamaha cover I cover when I think it's going to rain and I'm parked outside otherwise no

not really a pita just have to remember to readjust the mirrors when I take the cover off.

cover 50 percent of the time, rest of the time I'm to lazy :eek:

Nelson Rigg take about 45 sec to put on ( I timed it...... :lol:

UnCaged

When I ride to work I do cover it; have an inexpensive 'travel cover'; Nelson-Rigg I believe. Besides the usual protection from the elements, it protects it from all the bird crap; got big trees all around. Lastly, helps hide it as it sits in a (very) nearby parking lot.

I keep a Dowco cover at work--too much dirt and dust in the air.

Normal riding around, etc., no cover.

When touring (overnighters, etc.) I use a 1/2 cover to kep prying eyes away and moisture off the seat and 'shield.