Cowling Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATLDB

Reaction score
So what is with the cowling adjustment, adjusted OUT one seemed to think hot air blowing further AWAY from legs. Adjusted IN hot air blowing closer to legs.

But when I adjust mine it seems that adjusted OUT the rider gets MORE hot air. And IN less.

What do you guys have set on.

Thanks

BTW. After many (and I mean many) BMW's, on ST1300. I just absolutely LOVE this machine. Every aspect of it.

So what is with the cowling adjustment, adjusted OUT one seemed to think hot air blowing further AWAY from legs. Adjusted IN hot air blowing closer to legs.
But when I adjust mine it seems that adjusted OUT the rider gets MORE hot air. And IN less.

What do you guys have set on.

Thanks

BTW. After many (and I mean many) BMW's, on ST1300. I just absolutely LOVE this machine. Every aspect of it.
The info I got from Yamaha says OUT is warmer because it directs cool air away from the rider. IN is cooler because it doesn't direct cool air away from the rider.

Mine are innies for air conditioning and outies for heating. Others do just the opposite... go figure. :huh:
I guess that's one way to think of it. I just don't see where they do anything to actually duct hot air anywhere. My experience is that, in the winter when the temps are in the 20's, having them out is much warmer for the legs because they block freezing cold air from hitting the legs. And in the summer, having them in allows more relatively cold air to hit my legs so it feels "cooler".

I have mine out all the time. In cold weather it doesn't heat the air enough to warm my legs, so I want the cold air off my legs. In hot weather I don't want 100+ degree air blowing on my legs either since that increases the heat in my legs and they don't feel "cooled". There's about a 20 degree range where I'd like the vents to be in, but it's not worth the hassle for me so I leave them out.

I've mentioned this before, but here's a little experiment you can do. Wait until it's 90+ degrees outside. Have the vents in the outward position. Get your FJR good and warm. Ride down the highway and pay attention to your shin comfort level. Then part your legs and put your shins out into the wind blast coming from the cowlings. If you feel them warming up then you're feeling what I feel. If you feel them cooling off then you're feeling what Harold feels.

At least they allow us the choice.

Bunsen