Cracked front fender

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhb820

Reaction score
I cracked my front fender today. Two questions:

1. Can the fender be removed easily?

2. If I order a new fender, is it painted?

Thanks,

Bummed after a nice day of riding

Watch out! On my '07, and I presume the same for your '10, there are 2 barely-clipped-on spring nuts associated with 1 pair of screws and a metal flanged bushing with each of the other 2 fasteners. If you're not careful they'll disappear when they fall off/out.

Almost any plastic part is replaceable and comes painted in the correct color. But what's the story behind the cracked front fender? No fair asking for advise without disclosing how you f#$d up.

When you put on the new one, be careful not to scratch the paint when it goes between the forks. I put rag over it whenever I replace it to prevent any paint rubbing.

(In my case, that's not "replace with a new one", that's "replace the original one after a tyre change"
winksmiley02.gif
)

How fussy are you about appearance and how badly cracked? If not too bad and not blatantly visible, I would probably (carefully) get some ABS cement on the mating surfaces of the crack. After it dried, I would put some epoxy over the inside and lay some fibreglass cloth over that. One more coating of epoxy and you are good to go for the life of the bike. A good repair will leave a fine line that won't be noticed unless you are looking for it. Or for $77.19 you can buy a new, painted front fender. https://www.yamahasportscenter.com/fiche_section_detail.asp (Link goes to aftermarket parts site but not to the actual fiche for the part) For the price of a new fender, it would never be worthwhile to paint the repaired one!

Last edited by a moderator:
How fussy are you about appearance and how badly cracked? If not too bad and not blatantly visible, I would probably (carefully) get some ABS cement on the mating surfaces of the crack. After it dried, I would put some epoxy over the inside and lay some fibreglass cloth over that. One more coating of epoxy and you are good to go for the life of the bike. A good repair will leave a fine line that won't be noticed unless you are looking for it. Or for $77.19 you can buy a new, painted front fender. https://www.yamahasportscenter.com/fiche_section_detail.asp (Link goes to aftermarket parts site but not to the actual fiche for the part) For the price of a new fender, it would never be worthwhile to paint the repaired one!
Every site I checked, including the one you link to, has the price in the $95 range. Still way better than a repair with a paint job. How did you find one for the price you quote?

I was checking the price for the 2010 fender as required by the original poster. For some reason, the 2010 is quite a bit cheaper than the beautiful Black Cherry 2007.

Almost any plastic part is replaceable and comes painted in the correct color. But what's the story behind the cracked front fender? No fair asking for advise without disclosing how you f#$d up.
One of those deals where the person in front begins to proceed thru an intersection and then decides...oh maybe not. Bang...but it was a very light bang causing damage to my fender. No damage to vehicle.