Cruse Control Advise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breakaway website (as linked) specifies it's not for the AE. Looks like a good product, though, and I'm sure if the bike I bought had had that instead of the Throttlemeister I'd have recommended that instead. I do like that the Breakaway cancels both manually and automatically when the front brake is squeezed. Costs aren't that far apart, don't know about ease of installation. I never had a problem setting or adjusting my TM, but I've heard that complaint before. For that matter, I never bought a paddle-type throttle holder just cause it "seemed" like it would be in the way, but plenty of people recommend them. Might be worth ten or twelve bucks to give it a test.

I've owned a Throttlemeister before and didn't like it at all. It was a PITA to engage IMO and it did exactly what you said: The bike slowed down on every incline. BTW - I don't think you will get better fuel mileage by doing that, but I have no proof either way.
You will definitely get better mileage doing this. Tried this once in my '04 F150 between Greenville and Atlanta one time and got almost 21 mpg! With the cruise on, I would only get 17.5. Of course I was doing 85 down hills and 65 up (traffic was very light).

I have a Vista Cruise and just tweak it at the bottom of the hill and again at the top and it does pretty well.

Breakaway website (as linked) specifies it's not for the AE. Looks like a good product, though, and I'm sure if the bike I bought had had that instead of the Throttlemeister I'd have recommended that instead. I do like that the Breakaway cancels both manually and automatically when the front brake is squeezed. Costs aren't that far apart, don't know about ease of installation. I never had a problem setting or adjusting my TM, but I've heard that complaint before. For that matter, I never bought a paddle-type throttle holder just cause it "seemed" like it would be in the way, but plenty of people recommend them. Might be worth ten or twelve bucks to give it a test.
Hmmm. I don't get it. Why would it matter if A or AE for a (right side) throttle lock. How is it any different in function than a Throttlemeister or VistaCruise? If you forget to release the throttle and hit the shift buttons the same thing will happen either way.

You will definitely get better mileage doing this. Tried this once in my '04 F150 between Greenville and Atlanta one time and got almost 21 mpg! With the cruise on, I would only get 17.5. Of course I was doing 85 down hills and 65 up (traffic was very light).
I have a Vista Cruise and just tweak it at the bottom of the hill and again at the top and it does pretty well.
That would drive me crazy. It seems like you are always either on an upslope or downslope around here. Not too many flat places.

In your experiemnt, what did you setting the cruise control to? I bet your mileage would be better with cruise if you just set it to 65, right? Not sure what would happen if you set it to your average speed.

Of the people who have a proper cruise control like the Audiovox or the McCruise, I don't think you'll find even one who says, "hmph, I have it but I never use it". Once you have it, you almost immediately realize just how damn convenient it is, and the only thing you wonder is why the hell you waited to pull the trigger.

Of the people who have a proper cruise control like the Audiovox or the McCruise, I don't think you'll find even one who says, "hmph, I have it but I never use it". Once you have it, you almost immediately realize just how damn convenient it is, and the only thing you wonder is why the hell you waited to pull the trigger.

I have the McCruise, I want the Vista Cruise too. Thats the downside about my AE, I can't install a vista cruise because of the heated grips. I can't bring myself to using a throttle lock actuated at the end of the handlebar. A throttle lock should only be triggered by your thumb, anything else is just not natural.

Thats the one thing I miss from my Ascot thumper, the Vista Cruise it had for over 125k miles.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the McCruise, I want the Vista Cruise too. Thats the downside about my AE, I can't install a vista cruise because of the heated grips. I can't bring myself to using a throttle lock actuated at the end of the handlebar. A throttle lock should only be triggered by your thumb, anything else is just not natural.
I had a Vista Cruise on my '05, then I added an Audiovox. There are advantages to having both. I agree with your comments about how a throttle lock should be triggered. :)

Regarding the factory heated grips, someday I may snip those off and replace them with Dual Star elements and the grips of my choice, which I figure would also open up the possibility to add a Vista Cruise, if desired.