Cudo For Gary McCoy (University Motors)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Got my new air filter, R1 shifter, and FZ 1 mirrors from Gary on Fri. Changed the filter and put the R1 lever on Fri night. Rode Sat/Sun and finally put the mirrors on Sun night. Went on fine - not to mention the PITA panel removal. Noticed on the left mirror that when I unfolded it, it moved about a 1/4" or so before meeting resistance for folding. I was concerned that that movement might wind up creating vibration when moving. I emailed Gary this morning that I was concerned and just wanted to let him know in case it became a problem and I wanted to exchange it. I haven't ridden it yet but was going to try it out.

He emailed me a couple of minutes ago and said he'd send a new mirror today along with a return sticker to send mine back! Geez, can't beat that with a stick. I was more than willing to give it a try to see if it did cause a problem, but Gary jumped in and is sending a new one. This is the third order I've gotten from Gary (V46/Tires/this one) and you can bet I'll keep on going back to him.

BTW, the R1 shift lever really does result in a shorter throw. It isn't much shorter than stock, but makes a noticeable difference. Talked with Tracy Martin at the class this weekend about it - walked over to his bike and he had taken the stock lever and just drilled another hole in it! Didn't tap it, just put a longer bolt/nut. Whoda thunk?

All I've heard is good things from Gary. So why so cheap? Just one cudo? How 'bout KUDOS for the man!? :D

I have got to add my opinion here... Gary's GREAT!

:clapping:

If I was closer to Fargo, I'd ride over there and give him a big fat kiss!

;)

Ooops... I meant handshake. That's right, I'd give him a big handshake!

I order a new Corbin seat and Smuggler from Gary and not only was he great to work with, but he saved me a ton of money on my car insurance... I mean on my purchase!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my new air filter, R1 shifter, and FZ 1 mirrors from Gary on Fri. Changed the filter and put the R1 lever on Fri night. Rode Sat/Sun and finally put the mirrors on Sun night. Went on fine - not to mention the PITA panel removal. Noticed on the left mirror that when I unfolded it, it moved about a 1/4" or so before meeting resistance for folding. I was concerned that that movement might wind up creating vibration when moving. I emailed Gary this morning that I was concerned and just wanted to let him know in case it became a problem and I wanted to exchange it. I haven't ridden it yet but was going to try it out. He emailed me a couple of minutes ago and said he'd send a new mirror today along with a return sticker to send mine back! Geez, can't beat that with a stick. I was more than willing to give it a try to see if it did cause a problem, but Gary jumped in and is sending a new one. This is the third order I've gotten from Gary (V46/Tires/this one) and you can bet I'll keep on going back to him.

BTW, the R1 shift lever really does result in a shorter throw. It isn't much shorter than stock, but makes a noticeable difference. Talked with Tracy Martin at the class this weekend about it - walked over to his bike and he had taken the stock lever and just drilled another hole in it! Didn't tap it, just put a longer bolt/nut. Whoda thunk?
Jim Lor,

I too emailed Gary and asked about the FZ1 mirrors for my 06 and he emailed me back in 20 minutes. Said that if the mirrors didn't fit that he would pay to ship them back and return my money. Do the FZ1 mirrors fit? what year of FZ1 did you order for and how do they work, are ya happy?

got any pictures?

thank you,

DFP :rolleyes:

DFP - the mirrors fit fine and are a direct exchange for stock. They stick out probably another 50% or so of the mirror length (hence the better view). What's also good for me because I park the bike in the middle between my 2 x cars is that they fold up way better than stock mirrors. The FZ 1 mirrors fold right up against the windscreen sides and the mirrors are not longer the part that sticks out the farthest (sliders are!).

Here's a link that shows pictures and a comparison - great job! https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/FZ1mirrors.html

The issue w/my left mirror is that when I unfold it, it moves about a 1/4 - 1/3" before coming under tension to fold it again. My concern is that it'll vibrate. The other one is solid. I was willing to test it out before asking for an exchange, but Gary piped in and said he'd ship one out right away - with a return sticker for mine. I've bought stuff from Gary before and will continue to do so!

Good luck.

Sounds great guys how may I get in touch with this Gary? I know this isnt a commercial website but would appreciate the info thanks!