Curious Triumph Trophy vs Gen ll FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
Currently riding a 96 Trophy 900. My oldest son wants to buy the Trophy and I am finally going to buy a new bike. Was wondering if any of the members have enough experience with the Trophy to tell which is more top heavy? Triumph or FJR. I don't have enough time in the saddle on a FJR ( 10 mile demo ride) to make the comparison. Just curious, not a deal killer at all as I'm used to the Trophy and that, if you don't know, is one top heavy machine.

Be safe,

Rick

Currently riding a 96 Trophy 900. My oldest son wants to buy the Trophy and I am finally going to buy a new bike. Was wondering if any of the members have enough experience with the Trophy to tell which is more top heavy? Triumph or FJR. I don't have enough time in the saddle on a FJR ( 10 mile demo ride) to make the comparison. Just curious, not a deal killer at all as I'm used to the Trophy and that, if you don't know, is one top heavy machine.
Be safe,

Rick
Can't answer your question, but I have always wanted a Trophy 900. That's a great bike, IMO. The 1200 is buzzy, but the 900 triple is sweet stuff.

Fred,yes it is thanks. Searched for one for over a year. WA,OR, CA, NV most of the western states. Too many miles or too much money or both. Found this one sale on Craigs list two miles from my house. Nothing like the sound of the triple spooling up through the gears. Selling it to my son keeps it in the stable so to speak.

Rick

Fred,yes it is thanks. Searched for one for over a year. WA,OR, CA, NV most of the western states. Too many miles or too much money or both. Found this one sale on Craigs list two miles from my house. Nothing like the sound of the triple spooling up through the gears. Selling it to my son keeps it in the stable so to speak.
Rick

That's cool. So long as you get to trade rides now and then.

FWIW, I feel the same way about my VFR, which my son wants to buy from me when he graduates from college. I told him he can ride it, but I'm keeping it!!

Tyler, that was my guess. I've always felt the Trophy to be in class by itself when the subject of top heavy bikes comes around. Definitely not for the new rider. Thanks for your reply.

Rick

I've ridden a 900, and 1200 Trophy. Both are extremely top heavy, and tippy at slow speeds compared to the FJR gen 1.

Steve

OK, so now that we have established the FJR is less top heavy than the Trophy, which is worse (more top heavy) a Trophy or a Concours 1000?

I have owned, and dropped a Connie in the past. With a full tank that ole girl was a pig! The FJR feels like a sport bike in comparison...

As for the original question, I had a '95 Sprint, which was a Trophy with less fairing, and traded rides with a 1200 Trophy owner. The 1200 is worse than the 900, and the 900 is worse than the FJR. I think it's because the Triumph just felt taller and that the weight was toward the top of the thing. I loved the Triumph engine though! The triple is wonderful.

Old Connies seem heavier but lower than the Feej, I guess from the seat height.

QUOTE (Chilly @ Apr 22 2009, 12:02 AM)

Be safe,

Rick

I was forced to an FJR from a Trophy 1200 (dicky little finger didn't like playing clutch levers), and as others have said above, the FJR is definitely less top heavy than the Trophy.

I noticed this immediately, and also noticed the FJR is heavier pushing around in the garage.

Both lose their top-heaviness as soon as they are above walking pace, I found the FJR more flickable, and ultimately more powerful, but the Trophy had more low down grunt (1200 remember).

However, "less top heavy" doesn't equate to "not top heavy", it's easily dropped when stopped, as many here have admitted to (including me).

I can say you will have no problem with the FJR if you could ride a Trophy competently.

FWIW, I described my early thoughts here. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then (and miles under the FJR), and I am more and more pleased I was forced to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, Well the old Connie is another bike that is talked about when the subject of top heavy bikes is discussed. Good question...hard to say really. The riding position is very similar but IMO the 900 is easier to manage at slow speeds than the old Connie because it carries the weight differently. I think the 900 has better inherent balance in design than the Connie making it easier for me to handle while snaking through a parking lot. Still very top heavy but easier to manage. Never owned an old Connie but have enough seat time on one to know that the two bikes handle differently at slow speeds. I can easily turn the 900 in the box (24'). I can turn it in 18' if I have to, it makes my nuts twitch, but I can do it. Thanks in large part to that fantastic low end torque in the 900 engine. The Connie is much more of a challenge for me. Turning a Connie in 18' without lot's of practice is, I think, beyond my ability. Does that make the Connie more top heavy? The Connie was on my short list with the 900 the last time I went shopping and that one trait, bad slow speed manners, in spite of all the other good ones, was enough for me to choose the 900.

Same topic. FJR vs the C14. Both are top heavy. Same rider so same ability. Both bikes stock. Which bike has better manners at slow sped? I have my opinion but I'm just curious what those that have ridden both think. Slow speed manners, no other criteria.

Be safe,

Rick
I was forced to an FJR from a Trophy 1200 (dicky little finger didn't like playing clutch levers), and as others have said above, the FJR is definitely less top heavy than the Trophy.

I noticed this immediately, and also noticed the FJR is heavier pushing around in the garage.

Both lose their top-heaviness as soon as they are above walking pace, I found the FJR more flickable, and ultimately more powerful, but the Trophy had more low down grunt (1200 remember).

However, "less top heavy" doesn't equate to "not top heavy", it's easily dropped when stopped, as many here have admitted to (including me).

I can say you will have no problem with the FJR if you could ride a Trophy competently.

FWIW, I described my early thoughts here. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then (and miles under the FJR), and I am more and more pleased I was forced to change.
Thanks for replying. The FJR has been on my short list (only two bikes on the list) for a while now. Honestly the weight of the FJR doesn't bother me I was just curious how the two compared.

I will throw in my opinion as well just to re-enforce everything that is already said above.

I currently have a 1995 Trophy 1200 that I just registered yesterday actually but I have had it for about 2 weeks.

And an 08 FJR1300.

While the Triumph might be a little more top heavy, the FJR is a pig to move around with any kind of incline fighting you.

The Trophy is easier to push around in my opinion, but sitting on it the FJR feel more comfortable.

Picked up the Trophy for my father as a surprise, not replacing my FJR with it hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading through these posts and realized the Tyler is our "Resident Trophy Girl". :rolleyes:

[SIZE=8pt]I know...I could have let it pass but what's the fun in that?!?! Stirrin' it up is not a past-time for me, it's a lifestyle. As well as running and ducking for cover.[/SIZE]

I'm with Fred. while i have never rode a trophy (cept my wife), i have ridden a lot of bikes and owned more than 50 and the conc 1000 was the runaway winner in the top heavy poor slow speed handling. i rode the new connie quite a bit (three different bikes and about 600 miles and while a huge improvement over my 1000 not quite FJR class for me. not big enough to be a deal breaker but just added to the list causing me to get the FJR. i would have gladly taken the new Connie if i couldn't have gotten an FJR. i like the looks a lot better.