Curt Gran Memorial SS 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airboss

Reaction score
Last year Curt organized the first Moonshine Lunch Run saddle sore 1000. So this year in memoriam of Curt there will be 53 bikes starting from different locations riding this SS1000.

Here's the spotwalla link for those who would like to ride along.

https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=154

Riders could start any time after April 3th. My ride will start Thursday April 11th marker is tagged as AB.

Another SS1000 is done from Moonshine at Casey IL. to Canton, MS and back to Casey to claim my Moonburger. Wet and cold the rain quit on the way back going thru Memphis the cold didn't.

got me a gin-u-wine Curt Gran mid point receipt at this place in Canton.

WaffleHouseCantonMS_zpsada25654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like airboss, I did a SS1000 I honor of Curt Gran, however I went a different direction, but got just as wet and cold as airboss. I went from Chicago to Council Bluffs to Casey on Thursday. Started out in rush hour traffic in Chicago with rain and it basically didn't stop until I got to Council Bluffs, and then it snowed.
uhoh.gif
But the headwind I was fighting for 450 miles turned into a tailwind on the way back, so that wasn't too bad.

Saw some interesting bikes at Moonshine. This guy below has taken this bike through ice and snow all over the place. Pretty funky looking R1, but very functional studded snow tires front and rear for the winter time.

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

And then I saw the latest technology for the Iron Butt Rally riders out at the Moonshine store. Pretty impressive!!

DSC00827.jpg

Thanks for participating Karl and Carl. We had 34 riders and 1 passenger finish, 27 drop out. Of that number 12 completed their first SS1000!

We will run this again next year (April 12, 2014) hopefully with added start points.

Thanks again.

Thanks for putting up with us Rick. You are a number 1 Ace cat herder for sure. As for next year well about 2AM Friday morning I was kinda like man I'm going to finish this, but I'm never going to do this again.

Now that a couple of days have gone bye...................Think you'll have to put up with me again next year.

Myself and fellow rider Dave were two of those twelve newbies, starting in Manhattan, grabbing a receipt in Spingfield and then down to Casey. Yep - somewhere around the midpoint we started questioning just what the hell we were doing but sure glad we saw it through. "Never Too Cold. Never Too Far. Never Too Wet"?? Perfect.

It was nice to meet you Rick and a Thank You to all the other organizers. My only regret was the turn around and time constraints as we didn't get to hang around and mingle with the other riders as much as we would have liked. Maybe next year.

Oh, and I finally understand what could be so great about pork and beans! WOW were they good!!

Like airboss, I did a SS1000 I honor of Curt Gran, however I went a different direction, but got just as wet and cold as airboss. I went from Chicago to Council Bluffs to Casey on Thursday. Started out in rush hour traffic in Chicago with rain and it basically didn't stop until I got to Council Bluffs, and then it snowed.
uhoh.gif
But the headwind I was fighting for 450 miles turned into a tailwind on the way back, so that wasn't too bad.
Saw some interesting bikes at Moonshine. This guy below has taken this bike through ice and snow all over the place. Pretty funky looking R1, but very functional studded snow tires front and rear for the winter time.

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

And then I saw the latest technology for the Iron Butt Rally riders out at the Moonshine store. Pretty impressive!!

DSC00827.jpg

That R1 is insane!! Studded front tire, car tire on the rear, huge gastank strapped to the rearseat and a MASSIVE trailer towed behind it? and I can't even begin to guess what the h*** is strapped to the windscreen. Just about any cycle ever made has got to be a better starting point for that kind of contraption.....

That's a pretty freaking impressive rig he's got. Would have been worth the ride to Moonshine just to see it. Almost. But with all that weight of the bike itself and the trailer, I can't imagine how much time he spends adjusting that chain. Or replacing it.

Good to hear you guys had a great time.

Thanks to all that participated in this years ride. Next year will be 10th anniversary , watch for something special!

One thing will be to shame a so called `rider' from AZ. into attending! You know who you are!

uhoh.gif

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

That R1 is insane!! Studded front tire, car tire on the rear, huge gastank strapped to the rearseat and a MASSIVE trailer towed behind it? and I can't even begin to guess what the h*** is strapped to the windscreen. Just about any cycle ever made has got to be a better starting point for that kind of contraption.....
This guy is a darksider to the extreme!

Think I should point out that those are not car tires on the front and rear, those are Truck tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all that participated in this years ride. Next year will be 10th anniversary , watch for something special!
One thing will be to shame a so called `rider' from AZ. into attending! You know who you are!
I heard from reliable sources that the "rider" no longer rides over 50 miles a day-

so for the 10th anniversary, give him fair warning to get there.
no.gif