Custom Fuel Cell Covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisW

Reaction score
LTTB2.jpg

Warchild,

I'm curious about what went into getting this cover made.

Did you send the cell to Linda T, or did you just giver her the dimensions?

https://www.customtankbags.com/

Did you give her specifications for where, and how many pockets you wanted?

How much does she charge for this sort of thing?

Do you find that the bag makes the cell less conspicuous to lookers on?

This is the one I'm leaning toward, easy tech inspection.

https://www.jazproducts.com/lineart/290-104-01LINE.gif

Upside down, with the biggest area on top, and the small side toward the rear. I would mount it on top of a spare rear pillion.

I'm wondering if the shape would pose to much of a challenge for Linda to make a functional cover.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe I can help as I just had one made by Linda.

I have a BLM fuel cell and sent her a couple of pictures from different angles and gave her the critical dimensions via e-mail text including overall size, the filler size and spacing from the edge, valve handle, etc. No sending the cell.

She nailed the fitting the first time, but was totally OK with sending it back for any adjustments if necessary. To make things easier for her she actually only makes the bag 5 sided. It's more like a cover that slides down over the top and then uses two straps and buckle to keep it in place. Simple, yet very elegant design.

It might be a tad trickier for your cell, but if anybody can do it, Linda can.

She charged about $150 or $160 from my memory that included three pockets and 6 D-Rings. More pockets, d-rings sets, or other options tended to be in $5 to $15 increments.

I specified where and how many pockets I wanted. Turns out I messed up and had a pocket installed that just didn't work with my big butt....so I had her move it to the back side of the cell that was empty. She chaged $35 for my goof.

I think the bag makes it less obvious you have a cell. Instead of a big power coated block with perfect sides, it looks like a funky backpack.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LINDA T. AND CUSTOMTANKBAGS.COM!

auxtankbag01.jpg

auxtankbag02.jpg

auxtankbag03.jpg

auxtankbag04.jpg

auxtankbag05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a overall view, but here is some of Lindas` work. Opposite the water jug is a pocket that will hold the service manual, plus another pocket on top of that. This was made before she had the waterproof zippers.

As Ignacio stated, give her accurate measurements and what you want along with four or five differant angle pictures.

She does excellant work!
P1010275.jpg

Chris if she makes you one i will take one two see if we can get a deal on two of them. I have that jazz cell on my k12RS really good cell not as cool as tangi's but up nice quality.

Thanks for all the pics Ignacio. Good info. You to Rick.

Rick, what do you expect to get for mileage on a set of those Avon's under rally conditions?

I'm doing the BL IV this summer and I'm trying to figure out what to do about tires. I don't think I'm gonna be able to avoid buying a set along the way.

The ride out and back is 3,600 miles + 7 days of rallying.

Chris:

Tire mileage under rally conditions. Anybodys guess. I am not trying to be a smart ass, just to many variables to consider. Given the rally is in August your looking at hot weather no matter where they send you. If you are sent to the southwest, this will shorten tire life even with throttle control. If your sent north (Canada and more) will lenghten mileage somewhat.

Since you have 16-1700 miles just to get to the rally start, I would certanly plan on at least a new rear tire. The front would no doubt be ok for the whole ride. My front tire went the whole IBR (11,303 miles) plus another 2500 after that. I changed the rear tire after the first leg (5500 miles) to be sure I wouldn`t have to do it `on the clock'.

The most I have gotten from a rear Avon is 11,300 and it was toast.

The least, AH- UM lets see (scratching head)

https://www.micapeak.com/Phil/ely/ely12.htm :haha:

And we all had to ride home from Ely with these....YMMV