Custom-made Steel Plate to move Topcase Backward?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcycl

Reaction score
Someone replied in another post I made re: a past active member with the screenname "Toecutter" who made a thin steel plate that moves a Top Case back 3 inches. I just installed my new Givi Maxia 3 E55 top case w/ luggage rack, backrest, and integrated brake lights ... and the first time I had the wife and I jump on , she was immediately pushed forward too much to be comfortable by the top case/backrest. So, looks like I'm in need of something to remedy the problem. Until then, looks like I may have to remove the backrest.

Any information on how I can contact 'toecutter' is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen Bob post here in some time. In fact, I haven't noticed him post on Facebook either, though I know he's still around.

Most pillions do well without the backrest on the top case. Most riding jackets have some sort of back pad and that seems to be enough for the pillions that I know.

You might also look at THIS PLATE from Premier Cycle Accessories. Since you have a GIVI, THIS PLATE might also solve your problem.

If she wears a proper jacket with a back protector, the backrest on the case is definitely in the way. Remove the backrest. If she doesn't, then, um, why not? :)

Keep in mind that moving the case back will only exacerbate any potential issues with the rear subframe bulkhead. Don't say I didn't warn you . . . . Just look around for "broken subframe" or "cracked subframe."

I'm not sure how far back the archives go, but bob did at one time a picture diagram of his. Ithink I got the last one he made. 1/8 steel shaped to fit perfectly under the mounting plate, then there's 8 holes. 4 sets, 3 inches apart.

wfooshee ... I am forewarned and agree after reading several threads about cracked subframes. As soon as the budget allows, I'm going to be getting the SR357 plate/bars which replace the oem bars and has a larger footprint installation to the frame. Until then, we'll mainly use the case to put our helmets in when we stop partway during our trips.

Oh, and when the wife and I jumped on after first installing the new top case, it was simply in the driveway w/ normal clothing. So, with jackets on including typical armor, she'd be even further forward.

Thanks madmike2 ... I'll check out the links.

I'm hoping to get ahold of toecutter at some point. I sent him a PM and a email thru the forum profile. but, not sure if he'll get it or not.

Otherwise, like juniorfjr mentioned, I could use a schematic from someone who has the adapter and have someone w/ a metal shop make me one. And, another options, as mentioned, is simply not using a backrest. I wonder if the top case will still be a little too far forward. We'll have to take a couple rides to find out.

I have the PCA touring rack with the GIVI E460. I am very pleased with this arrangement. The rack is very well made and allows you to mount the box in two positions. The photo below shows the box in the more forward position.

IMGP6199.JPG

Wow Usul .. that's great! This will give you an idea of how far forward my setup is ...

topcase_forward2.jpg

topcase_forward1.jpg

Just heard from toecutter via email ....

Brian,Those plates are no longer being produced. I lost my metal cutting hookup. All I did was copy the bolt pattern from the rack onto a piece of cardboard, move the rack three inches, copy the bolt pattern again, then cut around all the hole marks and get somebody to cut the pattern out of some appropriately-thick aluminum or steel plate. You could do it with a drill and jigsaw if you can't source a laser to use.

Sorry, wish I could offer more...

Bob

Wow...that is a huge box! I can see how your wife is squeezed for room. The PCA rack should give you more room if you go that route. You need to get the GIVI mount kit with it for $20. I also got the removeable backrest with the rack that we use when we're not using the top box.

IMGP6112.JPG

After five days with the wife on the back we could use some more room. I am going to investigate moving the factory box back.

It's good to know Bob is still around.

It's a E55 ... so just a bit larger than the 46. I had the same 46 that you have on my red VFR, but sold it to buy this one (color didn't match!! what a shame)

This plate gives to 2 mounting options both of which are further back than the GIVI mount. HERE

I went back to thte GIVI because I'm almost always 1 up

Hey all! Still on a leave of absence and all crazy about bicycling. Just using the FJR for commuting to work and Patriot Guard missions. Still convinced there's no better bike made for doing it all like my FJR does. Just spending a lot of time pedaling uphill. As it turns out, I'm pretty good at it without that 35 extra pounds hanging on for the ride...

Anyway, I ended up selling out of the plates, and even sold the one I had on my bike, ending up with a welded/hybrid setup. It works good for hauling my work gear from station to station. Bren hasn't been on the bike since we went for ice cream in Hanford with the courthouse journeyers, but she used to doze off back there back in the day...

Stay right!

Hey all! Still on a leave of absence and all crazy about bicycling. Just using the FJR for commuting to work and Patriot Guard missions. Still convinced there's no better bike made for doing it all like my FJR does. Just spending a lot of time pedaling uphill. As it turns out, I'm pretty good at it without that 35 extra pounds hanging on for the ride...

Anyway, I ended up selling out of the plates, and even sold the one I had on my bike, ending up with a welded/hybrid setup. It works good for hauling my work gear from station to station. Bren hasn't been on the bike since we went for ice cream in Hanford with the courthouse journeyers, but she used to doze off back there back in the day...

Stay right!
Bob, it's good to see you're still around and haven't lost your sense of humor.

Stay right!
Bob, it's good to see you're still around and haven't lost your sense of humor.
He hasn't lost his sense of humor, but with all that time in the saddle, he talks kinda squeaky now! :p