Custom molded ear phones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonchef

Reaction score
Yeah it took 4 months, but finally got my custom molded helmet ready ear phones. Great sound and great hearing protection as well. Used Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 for the base system, + $90 for the custome shells.... ~~happy~~

Inearz custom headphones

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree I have had custom molded ear inserts for my radio at work and they are so much better then regular head phones. Just and FYI I found that places that build hearing devises often also make custom ear inserts and many are very reasonable. We actually have a store in C/S that sells them for between 50 and 80

What a gloriously topical post! I was in the process of searching for a pair of custom-molded earpieces!

Appreciate mucho you sharing the info. :)

blesker aka "b"

Got mine last year at the Dallas International Motorcycle Show from Marilyn at plugup.com. Like em a lot but for some reason after a year of wearing them the left one causes my ear to ache after a couple of hours. Anyone experience this? Maybe my ear canal shrunk? I'll probably discuss this with her at the next show if she's there.

Barry

A few things I've learned researching, trying different options, etc etc;

1) if yer gonna try custom plugs, bring your helmet. Put the helmet on when the mold is hardening.

2) some people wear their helmets quite tight, some are so loose that they can use earbuds that stick out a mile with no problem.

3) if you use foam ear plugs, helmet speakers need to be very efficient, which isn't the norm.

4) the "s plug" is the best I've ever found.

Doesn't really seem as though there's a "one solution fits everybody" thing...

Got mine last year at the Dallas International Motorcycle Show from Marilyn at plugup.com. Like em a lot but for some reason after a year of wearing them the left one causes my ear to ache after a couple of hours. Anyone experience this? Maybe my ear canal shrunk? I'll probably discuss this with her at the next show if she's there.

Barry
Your ear can change. If you moulds are not right, they will hurt you. Marilyn will make it right for you. She excels in customer service.

Barry
Your ear can change. If you moulds are not right, they will hurt you. Marilyn will make it right for you. She excels in cumbersome service.
"Cumbersome"? Was that a passive-aggressive jab at Marilyn? I don't think it was but curious about your choice of words.

Your ear can change. If you moulds are not right, they will hurt you. Marilyn will make it right for you. She excels in cumbersome service.
"Cumbersome"? Was that a passive-aggressive jab at Marilyn? I don't think it was but curious about your choice of words.
I seriously doubt that was a jab. Bike Effects, as a merchant, is one of the very best at customer service. And that doesn't require an insignificant amount of time making things right and communicating with the product manufacturer(s), which could be characterized as "cumbersome" for the merchant to do. Jeff has recommended Marilyn before to those in the market for custom earplugs, and he's said she "will make it right" and "excels" at that in his response here. So, I *think* I get the complimentary connotation he intended.

I seriously doubt that was a jab. Bike Effects, as a merchant, is one of the very best at customer service. And that doesn't require an insignificant amount of time making things right and communicating with the product manufacturer(s), which could be characterized as "cumbersome" for the merchant to do. Jeff has recommended Marilyn before to those in the market for custom earplugs, and he's said she "will make it right" and "excels" at that in his response here. So, I *think* I get the complimentary connotation he intended.
It looks like a predictive text mistake while typing a text message. Like typing "customer" and it came up "cumbersome". Either way, I've been very pleased with Marilyn.

3) if you use foam ear plugs, helmet speakers need to be very efficient, which isn't the norm.
That's been my experience also, but I can tell you that the Sena helmet system puts out plenty of volume to hear audio even with foam earplugs in your ear. That said, I have no doubt that custom ear plug speakers would be the best but I'm not willing to deal with extra wires at this point in my life.

After my first set of crappy, cheap earmolds failed I went with the ones that all the other long-distance riders told me I should have got. THESE I have the Challenger custom ear-mold speakers. They are nice, pliable medical-grade silicone (my first set from somewhere else were not and were stiff). Mine have many-thousands of miles on them and are still going strong. If you decide to get some don't get the DIY kit to make the impressions yourself, go to an audiologist to have them made then send them to him. Be sure the audiologist follows the instructions to make them a full helix deep mold past the second bend of the ear canal. Also ask for a bite-block to put between your teeth while the impression hardens. If you make the mold with your mouth slightly open then your plugs will fit a bit tighter (put your finger in your ear and open/close your mouth to see what I mean). He'll send the molds back to you so be sure to save them so you don't have to have them made again if you lose them or want another set of plugs made.

The other thing about the Challenger that's different from most other brands is the non-braided cord leading up to the Y in the line. This type of cord is hard to tangle and stronger than the braided cord. And it has a little slide piece up on the final braided cords to the plugs to help untangle them if they do get tied up.

And if you're wanting to go with a Bluetooth-setup and use earmolds get the Sena setup and this backing plate to plug them in: https://www.senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0303.php

If you have a Schuberth C3 you need this backing plate so the microphone can be positioned correctly (because the backing plate needs to be moved farther on the helmet): https://www.senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0304.php

I have had 2 sets from Marilyn in the past 5 years. Exceptional customer service. I also had issues

with the plugs a few months after they were made Marilyn had me send them to her in Florida and

did right.

Highly recommended.

I Love having a bluetooth system build into the helmet for ease and convenience but if I will be spending 30 minutes plus in the saddle I much prefer my Westone UM2's ($250).

Now because I own UM2's I use them, but if your primary use is an in ear under the helmet sound please save yourself some serious expense and go with the ($120ish) UM1's. The sound difference between the UM1 and UM2 is noticeable, they both sound fantastic. But for riding conditions the UM2's are NOT worth the additional expense.

Both in ear headsets are built identically and use comply foamy in ear canal outside sound dampening tips that come in many sizes. The kind of tips that you roll between your fingers to compress, insert in your ear canal then they expand back to shape.

They work great. To the point where you will not hear engine noise, I have to shift off vibration or tach. My only concern is more mirrir scanning for the possibly emergency vehicles. Even with the shield up zero wind noise. Great for these riding on hot days wind noise free. I will also notice how low you can set the volume with the absence of outside noise.

I have comfort problems with many in ear devices (aviation field). These headphones give me no problems with the smallest comply tips installed. The earpiece footprint does not stick out of the ear so helmet on/off is not an issue.

Add they are made in the USA, and have great customer service. I stepped on my first set of UM1's (my fault obviously). I sent them in expecting to pay the repair cost. Westone fixed them for free anyway.

I bought my recent set of UM2's via a Amazon dealer saving 20% off retail. I am not affiliated, just a fan of the product. Wish I knew what I did with the UM1's!?!

Westone also has lots of options in custom mold (approx $250), But I've not felt the need to go custom molded.

ok, old post, but i've been reading everything i can on here...

i'm searching for some good ear buds, just for music.

an audiophile friend lent me his Westone UM4s,

now let me say, these are spendy as hell, but i cannot imagine a better eargasm...

i have never heard some of the parts of the music i was hearing with these things in, and that was at 90 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needless to say, these are amazing in ear buds....

i imagine any one of the series would be very impressive...

i can say, that if i had the cheese lying about, the many hundreds of dollars the 4's cost would slow me down a bit...

freaking amazing....

BUT, i'm po. so i'm looking for a good (if there is a good) $50-100 alternative. (of course, i'm ruined now,,, wish i'd never heard those damn UM4's...)

ok, old post, but i've been reading everything i can on here...

i'm searching for some good ear buds, just for music.

an audiophile friend lent me his Westone UM4s,

now let me say, these are spendy as hell, but i cannot imagine a better eargasm...

i have never heard some of the parts of the music i was hearing with these things in, and that was at 90 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needless to say, these are amazing in ear buds....

i imagine any one of the series would be very impressive...

i can say, that if i had the cheese lying about, the many hundreds of dollars the 4's cost would slow me down a bit...

freaking amazing....

BUT, i'm po. so i'm looking for a good (if there is a good) $50-100 alternative. (of course, i'm ruined now,,, wish i'd never heard those damn UM4's...)
I have a pair of UM1's and UM2's. While the sound difference is an improvement from UM1's to UM2's in a good listening environment. You will not miss that while riding. The UM1's do a great job.

I keep the UM1's in the tankbag and the UM2's on my desk, never listen to UM4's and I expect to keep it that way ;)

I saw my own error before reading your post Rich. I don't know what the hell happened there. I must be loosing it! Corrected now.

I've used the Protectear dB Blocker DualCom for years with my Autocom. It works great, but the earbud is not molded into the earpiece. It's separate and the sound is channeled to the custom molded earpiece through small hollow tubes.

A few months ago I bought some Big Ear custom molded stereo earplugs where the earbud is integrated into the earpiece. I'd advise against them. They sound flat and tinny, with little dynamic range and absolutely no bass. They were a huge disappointment. I had talked to their reps at motorcycle shows for years and was expecting a premium product. I paid a lot more for the Big Ear units than I paid for the Protectear ones and they're not even close to the same sound quality. I have not been able to get a refund or even a call back from Big Ear.

The Protectear units are great. They have a full rich sound and excellent range. The listening quality is outstanding and they are comfortable. I regularly use them on long rides where I'll wear them all day for a week and a half without discomfort. I clean them and apply a thin film of Vaseline onto them when I first put them on in the morning.

Protectear dB Blocker DualComfor years with my Autocom