Custom Paint Finally Done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofreeride

Reaction score
I haven't ridden since the Buster's BBQ meet back in January. Thie bike's been in pieces in the garage waiting for the rare occasions when I have time to work on it. Finally got them both finished today. Here are the results.

The FJR:

I like the color scheme. Too many scratches on the Silver, so if I was going to paint, I wanted to change the color.

I am disappointed in the finish. I painted it myself with a single stage urethane using an HVLP sprayer. I've painted several cars, and although none were professional, all turned out better than this bike. It just did not wet out smooth. I'm sure it could be for any number of factors, but oh well, it will do for a season or two.

The ZR7:

Originally a faired bike, bought it wrecked, so converted to naked because of the awful bluish purple color and the high cost of replacement plastic. The fate of this bike is unknown, was originally for my wife, but she may not ride this year due to a foot surgery scheduled in July. Would be a good commuter, warm day bike for me, or maybe we'll just sell it.

2653334150103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

2912276990103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

2827419450103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

2686974350103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

2416228750103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

2091754630103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

2439159650103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

2828954560103318019S600x600Q85.jpg

Looks good. What paints did you use? Did you sand all the way down and re-prime it?

Very nice looking paint sscheme. If that was a choice from Yamaha I might be tempted. I do love the black cherry, though!

Nice looking paint combination. I think about painting mine but I guess I'm to lazy to take it apart and then I would worry about what colors to choose.

Sure doesn't look like the bent up Kawi that left my shop. If you want another one, the replacement is on the block.

I like it, I like the Satin black and how the black flows with the lines of the FJR. It looks like the radiator is part of the paint. The Kawasaki looks like a perfect stable mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just between you and me, I hate red/black combinations. I don't like it at all. Blue baby, blue!

Looks great-and a trooper's delight too. If the finish isn't that great you might be able to wet sand with 600 and shoot a couple coats of clear which seems to level better.

Looks good. What paints did you use? Did you sand all the way down and re-prime it?
I used Eastwood's urethane paints. I didn't prime all of it, only the parts that needed work. All of it was sanded, though.

Sure doesn't look like the bent up Kawi that left my shop. If you want another one, the replacement is on the block.
Is it us or our wives that keep changing their minds about their bikes? (I think it's me. I use my wife as an excuse to buy and sell more bikes.)

Looks great-and a trooper's delight too. If the finish isn't that great you might be able to wet sand with 600 and shoot a couple coats of clear which seems to level better.
Thanks. I may do something more with it next year.

Nice paint scheme .
Which case are you using for the top box?
Thanks. The paint scheme would work equally well with the black and ANY OTHER COLOR, imo. The top case is from SeaHorse, which is similar to Pelican but with an option for locks built in. The luggage rack and case mount are my own concoction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice paint scheme .
Which case are you using for the top box?
Thanks. The paint scheme would work equally well with the black and ANY OTHER COLOR, imo. The top case is from SeaHorse, which is similar to Pelican but with an option for locks built in. The luggage rack and case mount are my own concoction.
Any chance you could do a show and tell on the luggage rack and case setup? I'd like to do this for commute purposes.

The color scheme looks nice and kudos on doing it yourself.

Just wanted to say red and black is one of my favorite combos, I think it turned out pretty nice.

It could use one more black stripe, like if the bottom part of the lower fairing was black it might contrast a little better.

But overall it turned out good I think.