Cutting the stock shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about doing this to my stock shield. But I was gonna cut the width drastically and only cut about 2 inches from the top. That way I still get rain and bug protection on my face, but nice air flow in the sides. Anyone try this?

Art - I cut mine down 3 inches today - kept the stock profile along the top so it's not rounded out like your - took her out for a quick run down the lake shore . . . good clean air like I've never felt before - I must say it was refreshing - keep in mind I have a +3 or +4 CalSci - can't hear the engine humming along anymore - killed a lot of bugs with my helmet that I usually never see - noise level is very tolerable up to about 60mph - at 80 mph it gets a little loud even with my ER6's ear phones and IPod playing in the background - but the air feels so good and it's not too turbulent. Seriously thinking about hacking another inch off . . . very undecided.

Let me know what you think when you get a chance to take yours for a spin.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I cut 3" off the stock shield tonight. I haven't done the fine sanding/polishing yet. I want to ride it in the 90+ degree whether a few days to see if I like this height.

I pretty much cut is straight across except for the edge where I rounded it a bit. I am liking the looks of the more rounded look posted earlier.

Cut another one down to -4 inches from stock. It's about the same as the -3 I cut down except the air hits me about mid-chest.

Positives of the cut down shields compared to the xtra tall shield I use from CalSci: 1. more air - great for summer 2. I think it handles/corners better with the reduced resistance and drag 3. more "open" feeling from the seat.

Negatives of the cut downs: 1. more wind noise and I miss the sound of my FJR's engine - the wind noise at 65mph and under is tolerable. 2. a lot less, almost no, rain protection. 3. a lot more bugs on my face shield and jacket. 4. could be more fatiguing on long trips

My personal conclusion: I'll use the cut down shield when I'm close to home and running around locally. I'll use my taller shield on most long, multi-day trips and outings . . . unless the weather is going got be hotter than hell with mostly clear skies and rain-free forecast.

I use an 03 regular shield on my 04, helps alot with the heat.

Shortened my scratched 04 shield about even with the mirrors. I get as much air with that as a gen II bike. Even better..

I ordered and received my concave cee bailey shorty yesterday. It works and looks great!! I did not have the luxury of owning two tall shields so I did not cut my original down- saved $100 that way.

I ordered and received my concave cee bailey shorty yesterday. It works and looks great!! I did not have the luxury of owning two tall shields so I did not cut my original down- saved $100 that way.

Actually I bought a couple of lightly used OEM original shields for about $20 bucks each and cut those down: one -3 inches, the other -4 . . . and I still have my oem original shield and my taller CalSci for cooler weather and longer rides.

I am thinking that I will cut my stock shield down too... been way to hot here! Besides I have a CeeBailey +2 +2. Great solution to what was I gonna do with the stock shield.

Thanks

Brick

Here's the summer screen I cut. Measures 10" from center W screw to the top, I also put spacers in the lower mounts.

IMG_0059.jpg

Here's the summer screen I cut. Measures 10" from center W screw to the top, I also put spacers in the lower mounts.
You sure did a good job with that... very professional.

I just used a 2" hole saw and cut out 4 holes...<G> Worked fine.

I still have a extra Cee Baily (+2+4, I think) from when I sold my bike.

mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Cee Bailey's dark smoke, -2.

IMG_0016.jpg

Raising the screen creates some buffeting issues not present with OEM height for me, but they are minor, and only at 70+ freeway speeds. I figure the screen is on the bike for max airflow, so I keep it fully retracted anyway, and I'll put my Cee Bailey's dark smoke OEM size screen back on the bike around November.

Cee Bailey's dark smoke, -2.
IMG_0016.jpg

Raising the screen creates some buffeting issues not present with OEM height for me, but they are minor, and only at 70+ freeway speeds. I figure the screen is on the bike for max airflow, so I keep it fully retracted anyway, and I'll put my Cee Bailey's dark smoke OEM size screen back on the bike around November.
That's a nice looking shield. I didn't measure my stock one when I cut it down, but from the looks of yours I'd say mine is a -4 now. Great airflow all the way down and only very very minor buffeting all the way up (the stock height buffeted horribly when raised).

I've enjoyed the tall factory touring shield with laminar that's served me well during the colder months.
Now that the temperature is rising will hit triple digits in a few weeks, I am thinking that I should cut to stock shield to give me more air. I figure I will keep the touring shield as is and cut down the stock.

Since I am mechanically challenged and don't have any tools, I'll have to rely on a friend. For those of you who have done this, do you have any suggestions? Do bandsaws work? How short is too short? I am thinking about cutting about 3-4 inches.

If you have pics, would you mind posting them?

Thanks.
well, when I cut mine, I used a laser mitre saw, I just eyeballed it rough cut, then took the top of the cut off piece to draw the final good trim lines and once again used the 10 mitre saw looks good., I used duck tape, in hind site blue painters tape would have been used...

CIMG0028.jpg

Latest posts