Cycle World Feb 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current new Gen II wet weight quoted by Yamaha is 644 lbs. Gen Is were from about 520 to 550 lbs. Heated grips are now standard according to the Yamaha web-site, but were not available on older models and options on some (AE excluded). Top box is not included on the FJR, and the stock box/rack will set you back a purdy penny. Saddle bag liners are included though on the FJR, at least in the US.

Have a subscription.

That article made the Triumph Sprint GT sound pretty appealing, eh?
So I have been working on aquiring a sport touring bike. I was debating the ST1300 or FJR. I actually checked out the Sprint GT at the local Triumph shop. Very nice, but...

When I compare the two I note the following

weight(wet)- Sprint about 590, FJR(gen1) about 600(so I read)

drive line -Sprint chain, FJR shaft

windshield Sprint fixed, FJR electric adjustable

seat height Sprint 32, FJR 32

Heated grips Sprint extra, FJR inc

Top box Sprint extra, FJR inc

cost Sprint about $15K OTD, FJR (used of course) $7500

I know it is not really apples to apples but for half the price it is an easy decision for me.
FWIW, the Gen 1 published dry weight is 553 lbs w/ ABS. Gen 2 is 584 lbs dry or 641 wet. Since the difference is 57 lbs a reasonable estimate of 1st gen wet weight is 553+57 = 610 lbs. Nobody has ever bothered to determine if these published weights include the saddlebags or not.

Heated grips were only included on AE models up until 2010. Prior to that they were an optional extra.

Top box has never been included on an FJR

I'm very certain Sprints can be had for considerably less than $15k, but why would you compare a new sprint to a used FJR, unless you were trying to convince yourself that the FJR is the right bike for you? If that is your goal, well you've come to the right place. ;)

I don't believe the sidecases were included in the weights of the earlier models. The sidecases plus the bolt-on lower brackets weigh approximately 29 lbs

Very interesting responses by the FJR faithful on this subject and they echo many of my own sentiments of the FJR. I've said it before that he FJ is great just the way it is and to change it for change sake would be a waste of time. I like how they've improved upon it but left its basic form unchanged.

I did feel a little perturbed having to install the Brodie harness, ignition switch, and blue dot CCT this winter just so I can have a little peace of mind on the road. But the problems the FJR has pale in comparison to other bikes out there. I'm installing the McCruise this month because I like electronic CC but it wasn't a deal breaker or a necessity.

If riding a C14 is anything like the ZX14 you can have it, that motor is flat as the Bonneville salt flats below 6K RPM. I like the torque down low with the FJR. I pay for it with a little buzziness but I can live with that over a flat bottom end.

just my .02

Have a subscription.

That article made the Triumph Sprint GT sound pretty appealing, eh?
So I have been working on aquiring a sport touring bike. I was debating the ST1300 or FJR. I actually checked out the Sprint GT at the local Triumph shop. Very nice, but...

When I compare the two I note the following

weight(wet)- Sprint about 590, FJR(gen1) about 600(so I read)

drive line -Sprint chain, FJR shaft

windshield Sprint fixed, FJR electric adjustable

seat height Sprint 32, FJR 32

Heated grips Sprint extra, FJR inc

Top box Sprint extra, FJR inc

cost Sprint about $15K OTD, FJR (used of course) $7500

I know it is not really apples to apples but for half the price it is an easy decision for me.
FWIW, the Gen 1 published dry weight is 553 lbs w/ ABS. Gen 2 is 584 lbs dry or 641 wet. Since the difference is 57 lbs a reasonable estimate of 1st gen wet weight is 553+57 = 610 lbs. Nobody has ever bothered to determine if these published weights include the saddlebags or not.

Heated grips were only included on AE models up until 2010. Prior to that they were an optional extra.

Top box has never been included on an FJR

I'm very certain Sprints can be had for considerably less than $15k, but why would you compare a new sprint to a used FJR, unless you were trying to convince yourself that the FJR is the right bike for you? If that is your goal, well you've come to the right place. ;)
The gen1(05 w/abs) I am looking at has tons of extras already in place, such as the top box, heated grips ect. Why would I compare the Sprint to the FJR, because in my view they serve the same general purpose in a very comparable package. As far as price goes these are Canadian $.As far as trying to convince myself of whether I should buy the FJR, well, it is more a matter of deciding if this style of bike is what I really need. I have a bad habit of buying bikes then 1 year later selling and going with something else. I am making a conscious effort to analyze the situation before I pull the trigger. This forum has been a great help.

Current new Gen II wet weight quoted by Yamaha is 644 lbs. Gen Is were from about 520 to 550 lbs. Heated grips are now standard according to the Yamaha web-site, but were not available on older models and options on some (AE excluded). Top box is not included on the FJR, and the stock box/rack will set you back a purdy penny. Saddle bag liners are included though on the FJR, at least in the US.
According to TMW, the 2005 ABS dry weight was 553 lbs. The 2006 A 580.8 lbs. - 2007 582 lbs - 2008 A 589.6 (they changed ABS suppliers I guess) - 2009 582 lbs,

Not quite sure where the extra weight came from in 2006 - sure, the swing arm is longer and they added the lnked brakes, but 28 pounds? Maybe the radiator is larger? I don;t know.

Heated grips have always been available as an option; though the Gen-I versions weren't nicely integrated into the bodywoirk and electrical system the way the 'speed sentive' grips for the Gen-II are. To clarify for those who might not realise, the AE always had heated gripsd as standard. They became standard on the 2008 A in Canada and in 2011 in the US. Saddlebag liners are *not* included in Canada. In some markets side cases aren;t standard - but they offer a narrow sidecase option in Europe, whch *might* explain why.

I have a bad habit of buying bikes then 1 year later selling and going with something else.
That is a "problem" I can identify with. Before buying the FJR, I had bought and sold more than 6 different bikes each for a year or less.

Oh, I've now had my 1st gen for 5 years... ;)
FUZZY BALLS..

Same story here Fred.

I have a bad habit of buying bikes then 1 year later selling and going with something else.
Smitty to the white courtesy phone please! (He's had many bikes including at least 4 FJR's in the few years I've known him - not sure what his latest Kool-Aid flavour of the week is....)

Current new Gen II wet weight quoted by Yamaha is 644 lbs. Gen Is were from about 520 to 550 lbs.
According to TMW, the 2005 ABS dry weight was 553 lbs. The 2006 A 580.8 lbs. - 2007 582 lbs - 2008 A 589.6 (they changed ABS suppliers I guess) - 2009 582 lbs,

Not quite sure where the extra weight came from in 2006 - sure, the swing arm is longer and they added the lnked brakes, but 28 pounds? Maybe the radiator is larger? I don;t know.
'03 (USA) weight:

• Dry (without oil and fuel) = 522 lbs. :)
  • Wet (with oil and a full fuel tank = 604 lbs.

Add 1 lb. for Calif.

Last edited by a moderator:
What cracks me up is when I think back to last spring... I was soooo close to buying a new C14. It had addressed all the issues I hated about the previous model except for K-PASS. I was "willing" to overlook that, but could not get past the whole "$15,000" price tag. So I waited... And my two riding buddies were sending me ads for used 2008-2009 model C14s for about $9K... I would ride theirs when we'd go for rides together, and I just couldn't stand baking while riding in the summer... When I mentioned the FJR, one of them was open minded and said "great bike, you'll love it." The other was all doom and gloom... "It's an old bike man, old technology" I was riding a 99 model ZRX1100. "It's a fivespeed man" so was the ZRX. "It's got all the same problems as my 08 C14... 'Er, no, no it doesn't.

simple things like "adjustable handle bars and seat height" are a plus to a guy like me, and I'm sure many of you. Simple things like not baking your crotch in July are important to a guy like me, and I'm sure to many of you. Simple things like 6.6 gallon fuel capacity, lighter weight, longer intervals between major maintenance, and superior fit and finish...But you guys already know this because you own these bikes, too.

The reason they exclude the FJR is it is old technology. I paid $8,000 for a 2008 model that had 4K miles on the odometer. I saved $7k, but spent an additional $1000 on accessories I wanted, like a trunk/luggage rack, OEM heated grips, and a taller screen. I'm $9K in and still $6K to the good on what I consider a bike ON PAR with the 2010 C14. I don't have to deal with KPASS and I have a bike that is the same age as my riding companions C14s, yet looks brand spanking new... The FJR's fit and finish alone is worth an extra $1K to me... They don't write about the FJR anymore... who cares... There's nothing to write about. It's "mostly" perfect as is.

Mike

The FJR is still a great bike but Yamaha is letting it fall behind the pack. It is in need of an update. Wake up YAMAHA!!!!!!!

Wake up? Falling behind?

Falling behind who and in what way exactly?

Behind BMW? Yes. Mostly in price (and that's a good thing).

Behind Honda? Well, the VFR1200 dual clutch trans is pretty cool. But the rest of the bike doesn't compare to an FJR.

Behind Suzuki? They don't even have any SST bike models.

So, you must mean they are behind Kawasaki with their Concours. Because the FJR doesn't have fly-by-wire, traction control, and KiPass? :unsure:

Those are actually the reasons that I prefer the FJR still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well....All I can say is "**** Cycle World" <_< They only cover bikes whos manufacturer spends alot of $$$ with them, and Mama Yama spent thier pennies on the Super Tenere. Don't expect anything until the bike is redone, When? Whos knows, things were tough in Japan before, and it just got alot tougher. Wonder if the Super T delivery will be affected? Don't see how it can't be. :unsure:

...Wonder if the Super T delivery will be affected? Don't see how it can't be. :unsure:
Where's that photo of the tipped over cargo ship that used to be run out every year to tease the PDP waiters? :)

BTW, no headlights on the new Tenere...the glow will be there even without the lights on. :clapping:

CW and other magazines understandably continue to primarilly report on new models, developments, features etc. They gave the FJR its due but now there's really nothing new to report. They've said about all there is to be said until Yami makes some changes (good or bad) on the FJR product. Personally this does not diminish in any way the satisfaction I have owning one. It does what I want it to, remains amoung the best performers,and IMHO the best looking SST ever made. So personally I don't expect to read much about the FJR and don't really care. This forum serves my info needs just fine.

Bill