Cycle World, Feb 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the ending quotation:

"With or without electronic suspension, the FJR1300 remains one of the best deals in sport--excuse me, supersport--touring. Fast, smooth, nimble and comfortable with good wind protection, hard luggage and a big gas tank, it's ready for any journey, be it a Sunday morning ride or consecutive 1,000-mile days."

"With or without electronic suspension, the FJR1300 remains one of the best deals in sport--excuse me, supersport--touring. Fast, smooth, nimble and comfortable with good wind protection, hard luggage and a big gas tank, it's ready for any journey, be it a Sunday morning ride or consecutive 1,000-mile days."
I haven't read the Cycle World review but your quote appears to be from RIDER's ES review.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ES thing escapes me, really, How often do I need to adjust my suspension while riding? It's not a dualsport. The quote in Cycle world was something like, no more getting your knees dirty adjusting the damping. Wow, better trade in my old ratty FJR for one that I won't get my knees dirty, and it's pretty much a chick bike with that pinkish red paint. Maybe it looks better in real life, pictures make it look pinkish, is that a word? I don't think the ES thing will bring it to the top of the Sport Tour class, It'll need at least 1400cc and 6 gears to do that. We all know it dosen't need it, but the marketing people, and writers do.

meeself, I don't change settings once I get them where I like.. ES or manual, don't matter..I had top dollar aftermarket suspension on my FJ1200...set it on full soft for a plush ride on a long slab trip, forgot that I did that , and damn near threw it in the bushes when I got a bad weave on an exit ramp..

My '05 is [knock wood] extremely reliable, versatile, cool, and fun. So as long as it is so reliable and cost-efficient--I'll never get to have another, new motorcycle like a 2014.

My 2005 is a great bike. I've got over 100,000 miles on it; never changed the seat, never upgraded the rear shock. I did get bigger springs in the front forks though. They always had felt a little squishy to me.

The bike is like an oven. I've never had a bike that cranked out so much heat. That was really my biggest gripe. It made summer riding almost unbearable for me. If the temperature was more than 85F, I didn't really want to ride (and I love riding, hence the 100k mileage). And forget about being stuck in traffic with that kind of heat....uhg. But I really did love my 2005. Sad to say goodbye to it. It still runs great and I sort of want to keep it.

Anyway, coming from a bike where I have done virtually nothing to it, I am very much looking forward to my new 2014ES. I think I will definitely use the ES.

And you know what? I didn't always go over 100 miles an hour, nor did I always pass a gazzilion cars (and Harleys), but it was nice to know I could if I wanted to. Just like the option of using the ES part of the bike; I might not always use it, but I know I have the option and it's there if I need it, and it's convenient.

I really wanted the USD forks, so I figured I'd splurge the extra $ for the ES setup. I'm sure it'll be fine for me.

Oh.....and if the color is girly, that's okay by me too ;-)

The ES thing escapes me, really, How often do I need to adjust my suspension while riding? It's not a dualsport. The quote in Cycle world was something like, no more getting your knees dirty adjusting the damping. Wow, better trade in my old ratty FJR for one that I won't get my knees dirty, and it's pretty much a chick bike with that pinkish red paint. Maybe it looks better in real life, pictures make it look pinkish, is that a word? I don't think the ES thing will bring it to the top of the Sport Tour class, It'll need at least 1400cc and 6 gears to do that. We all know it dosen't need it, but the marketing people, and writers do.
If you ride with a passenger 20-80% of the time, you will see the advantage of having the ES. Feel free to get your knees dirty changing your oil, lubing the underside links and joints. The red is much better in person and has been mentioned in several threads on here and proven by many different pictures of the '14 owned by some of the forum members here. Top of the Sport Touring class...debatable as to which bikes belong in the top...really depends is the goal is more sport or more touring, or both equally.

Glad you seem happy with your model year. Hopefully you get a chance to try out an ES and see for yourself if it feels different than your '07.

And you know what? I didn't always go over 100 miles an hour, nor did I always pass a gazzilion cars (and Harleys), but it was nice to know I could if I wanted to.
Uh huh. You forget that many of us have ridden with you.
tonguesmiley.gif

And you know what? I didn't always go over 100 miles an hour, nor did I always pass a gazzilion cars (and Harleys), but it was nice to know I could if I wanted to.
Uh huh. You forget that many of us have ridden with you.
tonguesmiley.gif
Having ridden with Iris I assume that when she says "didn't always" and "nor did I always" she was referring to occasions in her driveway, after that it simply becomes "I always"
laugh.png

Following Iris & Jim - note the speedometer:

RoadView.jpg

I haven't read the Cycle World review but your quote appears to be from RIDER's ES review.
Thanks for the correction--seems the ES is all over the place! I've read the Motorcyclist, Rider, and Cycle World reviews so far.

I have a custom suspension on my 07 FJR, but I would like to be able to fine tune it on a ride. Getting to the twisties sometimes takes me on some awful washboard freeway sections. I would like to soften the suspension on those parts, and then stiffen the suspension once I hit the twisties. That is a great reason for an adjustable suspension. I won't be selling/upgrading anytime soon, but the thought is there.

I like how they provided their preferred suspension settings based on drivers weight and you're of riding. This gives an idea of how convenient and applicable changing settings are. Many have said they set their bikes and go and don't see a need to alter but that is because the prices to alter its not clean and quick - most would rather just compromise and go. Now, you don't have to...quick and easy suspension adjustments without much compromise are now available on one of the best S-T bikes made for the $!

I had an '08 AE before and have gone on 2 multi-hour rides so far on the '14ES. I don't know what one considers "enough miles" but I do know that my ES dies not bottom out with 2up riding, feels more stable and can be ridden faster/harder and is so easy to adjust suspension settings that I do so, to accommodate road type and aggressiveness, several times on longer rides.

Allen this is an answer what I was looking for. I wanted from day one electronic suspension on my '13 and I love the look of inverted fork on FJR but ES was available in Europe only as AS version (AE in NA) and classical cluch was always my preference. So I am looking for any feedback from rider who knows both. I am not sure that I can effort to change my new bike after half a year but I would like to!

Allen, do you have already enough miles on ES that you can really compare A and ES suspension performance?

Since he never owned a '14 A model, it wouldn't be an accurate comparison. The base A model's suspension has improved since he owned his 08 FJR.

I got to ride both this weekend at a Demo event. I didn't notice a huge difference, but the ES model felt better. This was only a fairly boring 11 mile loop with a lack of different riding and road conditions. Working the event, I was able to ride both many times. My co-worker thought there was a significant difference between the two. My question is, could the A model have been adjusted (manually) to match the ES's better suspension?

Of course, that is one of the major benefits of the ES model - no having to manually adjust and try to figure everything out which for the vast majority is a scary and difficult thing to do. With the ES it's easy-peasy and there is no thought process involved - just hit the buttons!