Cycle World, Feb 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, both '14 models are extremely smooth. Yamaha has got the FJR refined to a very high level. My co-worker felt strongly that the '14 was even smoother (suspension, fuel injection, handling) than the '13 model. I would have to ride both back to back to make a judgement call like that, but I do know the 14 is just *WOW*!

This damn job is going to end up costing me more money than I am making! Poor me.
no.gif

Also, both '14 models are extremely smooth. Yamaha has got the FJR refined to a very high level. My co-worker felt strongly that the '14 was even smoother (suspension, fuel injection, handling) than the '13 model. I would have to ride both back to back to make a judgement call like that, but I do know the 14 is just *WOW*!
I doubt that there is any difference, other than the normal variation between bikes of the same year, between a '13A and a '14A (except for battery access) but when you combine all the small changes between a GEN2 and GEN3 the whole seems to be bigger than the sum of its parts. Slight increase in peak HP but a bigger increase in mid-range HP complimented by a more responsive engine/FI mapping. Firmer suspension springs with better damping which also seem to be better balanced between the front and back. New dash, more readouts. smoother windshield operation, and better air flow all contribute to big increase in the grin factor over the highly refined GEN2 models.

If there is a difference between the years, it would be interesting to know if all the '13 models are the same or if Yamaha made some improvements mid-year.....such as suspension spring rates.

Good information Skoot! These kind of reports are going to cost me more $$$ too!

Stop it, would ya...
laugh.png

--G

Allen, do you have already enough miles on ES that you can really compare A and ES suspension performance?

Since he never owned a '14 A model, it wouldn't be an accurate comparison. The base A model's suspension has improved since he owned his 08 FJR.

I got to ride both this weekend at a Demo event. I didn't notice a huge difference, but the ES model felt better. This was only a fairly boring 11 mile loop with a lack of different riding and road conditions. Working the event, I was able to ride both many times. My co-worker thought there was a significant difference between the two. My question is, could the A model have been adjusted (manually) to match the ES's better suspension?

Of course, that is one of the major benefits of the ES model - no having to manually adjust and try to figure everything out which for the vast majority is a scary and difficult thing to do. With the ES it's easy-peasy and there is no thought process involved - just hit the buttons!
Thanks for sharing. Lucky Guys with more patience than me (waited for '14)...

Hmmm... In another couple of years there should be a few nice, low mileage 2014 ES's around for sale, and we will have a much better idea of what the ES actually provides. And maybe by then I'll be ready (and able) to convince myself to upgrade "old blue"... The buzz killer is all the 1st gen farkles that will not transfer. In the words of John Lennon, it'd be "just like starting over."

Rider Magazine Feb issue has the same write up. I believe Cycle World is owned by the same publishing company. I gave up Cycle World. They dwell too much on sport bikes for which I have no interest.

Prior to the 2014ES I had an 2007A and I can tell you there is a significant difference. In Tour mode the ES is similar to the 07. In Sport mode no match! I have only 289 miles on the new bike and have not played much with the ES feature. In the spring I will hit the road thru the Sierra's, NV, NM, CO, and UT one up and with bags. That will be adequate terrain to evaluate the ES feature.

Rider Magazine Feb issue has the same write up. I believe Cycle World is owned by the same publishing company. I gave up Cycle World. They dwell too much on sport bikes for which I have no interest.
While I have no interest in buying a true crotch rocket (too old for the ergonomics), I still like to keep tabs on what new things are happening on them since (eventually) innovations that show up on the sport bikes trickle down to the rides I do consider. Of course, not all of these new features are desirable, but how would you know if you didn't know what they do and how they work?

Last edited by a moderator:
The ES thing escapes me, really, How often do I need to adjust my suspension while riding? It's not a dualsport. The quote in Cycle world was something like, no more getting your knees dirty adjusting the damping. Wow, better trade in my old ratty FJR for one that I won't get my knees dirty, and it's pretty much a chick bike with that pinkish red paint. Maybe it looks better in real life, pictures make it look pinkish, is that a word? I don't think the ES thing will bring it to the top of the Sport Tour class, It'll need at least 1400cc and 6 gears to do that. We all know it dosen't need it, but the marketing people, and writers do.
I like my pinkish Mary Kay ES and the push button suspension. I think one cool thing about all the FJR's, they're not too big and heavy. I like the idea of 1400 and 6 gears as long as they don't get too big and heavy.