Cycle World July 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfpasquin

Reaction score
Finally read the article comparing the FJR to Triumph Trophy SE and BMW 1600GT. Interesting choice of words for the FJR. It's a "very good motorcycle that was the top sport-tourer on the maret a decade ago." But "time has marched on, and despite incremental improvements over the years, the FJR simply isn't inthe same league with new-age technowonders like the BMW and Triumph. Somebody said these magazines are in bed with BMW. Makes me wonder. But hey, the 2014 has electonic suspension and will get a 6th gear next year--well maybe not a new gear.

They compared a $15K bike with a $20k bike and a $26k bike.

Yet... that $15k bike only required incremental improvements over ten years to be to still be comparable to the "better" ones... maybe it was 10 years ahead of it's time?

Where was the Connie? ... why leave that out? to me... that would be a logical bike to compare to an FJR and maybe even the triumph.

I dont get the BMW being compared to the FJR at all....kinda like comparing apples to bigger, heavier, more expensive apples that cost more to eat... no?

Why not compare thr FJR, Concourse14, ST1300, GSX125FA, R1200RT...

The article was incomplete, not well thought out, and just sub par from what i usually expect from the cycle world people.

The part about "as the tire wore, the handling declined" really got me... No shit.. really...isnt that to be expected? When they compare Ducati's to Augusta's and Aprillias... they make sure all of the bikes have the same tires... why not here?

My FJR does not need 6th gear... why does everyone want to shift more than they need to?

:end rant

I think the comparison was between the new models and what they consider to be the king of the hill. The other bikes you mentioned are competitors but were not changed in 2013.

I read that report as well. I felt like it was a fairly accurate analysis.

Vibration

For example, take a ride on a K1600. That engine is so smooth you can't tell it's running. Well almost. No one can argue with that. But who cares? Is that worth 10000 dollars? You've got to be kidding me. I've owned bikes that had a vibration problem. The FJR does not. The little bit of vibrating it does is a non issue for me. Is one better than the other in this regard? Sure, to a journalist with a sharp pencil and a deadline to meet, but I really don't care. That's just one example.

That sound

What journalist wouldn't notice the amazing sound of a 6 cylinder? Who wouldn't? They're amazing. But consider this: I talked a lot about the SOUND of my FJR when I first got it. I wanted to hear more of it: can you spell, s-t-a-i-n-t-u-n-e-s? But now, 2 years later, I don't find myself thinking about it much any more. Ya get used to it after a couple years, and after awhile, ya don't particularly notice it. Any chance that this same thing would happen if I owned a 26,000 dollar 6 cylinder? Newness does indeed... wear off, does it not?

However, as I've said before on this forum, there's a lot more to buying, owning, and maintaining a motorcycle than just the two days of ride testing that our moto-rag friends provide. Most of us work for a living and struggle to pay the bills. Some of us have to cut out other things to be able to have a decent ride in the garage, and all of us have learned to appreciate the value of a dollar. When you add up the initial cost of buying and the continued cost of owning and maintaining mototcycle, that number ABSOLUTELY rules out a K1600. When it comes to value, you've got to consider factors like this forum. Show me where you can find the level of help and well written "how to-s" for a long-established platform like the FJR... Again: no contest. Thanks to this forum, even newbie backyard mechanics can handle most of the req'd maintenance on an FJR, and save a ton of $$ doing so.

But of course, no magazine would consider all of this.

When you look at the whole picture, the FJR has no equal.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no tolerance for the attitude I have observed over the years from BMW...ie. It surges because " you're not riding it right"

SPOT ON: "They compared a $15K bike with a $20k bike and a $26k bike." But at least they mentioned that the K's engine is 20% bigger. Don't forget the thousands of loyal Harley riders who drop $24 for an Electra Glide Ultra Classic complete with two cylinders and that famous exhaust sound that is really what makes them so appealing and popular.

hehehe... my fjr surges too... and i paid 14,000 less
wink.png
Mine only surges when I twist the throttle. Is that what you're talking about? What do you mean, your 2012 "surges?"

I've never heard of a surge problem with the Feej. Abrupt off idle throttle response, yes. Back in the '90's , dual plug Beemer boxers had a bad surge when trying to hold a steady speed and BMW stonewalled for years on the problem-along with other defects like leaky rear seals and self destructing final drives.. I still hear stories of the arrogant customer service from BMW.

I dont know as I would refer to it as a problem... more of a possible area of improvement for driveability.

When just cruising through a village in maybe 3rd gear, with the throttle steady, there is a definite lack of smoothness in fueling. I dont know what else to refer to it as... its not a misfire, not a stumble, not a hesitatation... just a spot in the power range where it feels like it has slight surges in power delivery, maybe 3000 rpm.. I'll look next time. It just feels like the PCM is trying to figure out if it should be lean or rich...

If i drop it down a gear so its turning maybe 4000 or more, no issue, if i pop it up a gear and turn around 2000 rpm or so.. no issue...it's just in the middle somewhere.

I'm not complaining at all.. it has got to be difficult to make something that can fuel well doing 155 also fuel well doing 35. I am assuming this is why some of you guys go with the power commanders and the like...

My 2012 has no throttle abruptness at all unless i open it really fast ;) then theres a BIG surge ;)

What I would like is for Yamaha to pay a bit more attention to shedding a bit of weight as opposed to adding it on. All the new gadgets on the 2014 are great but putting the FJR on a bit of a diet would really emphasize the Sport in Sport Touring. Not to say it isn't sporty but it could be better.