Cycleport Kevlar mesh suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I've done the searches and read at least some of the recently posted reviews on the Motoport/Cycleport Kevlar Mesh suit. As best as I can determine, it is the best solution available for hot climates.

I must have something to wear over Dockers/street clothes for work. It has to be something that I can walk into a meeting wearing, zip out of quickly, and get back into quickly for a quick commute elsewhere.

I've been using two piece gear for winter recreational riding. But summer and temps well above 90F will be here in just a couple months.

I cannot afford to make a bad purchase of this magnitude. The damn things cost almost $1,000 bucks.

Somebody please stop me if/before I make a huge mistake. Or should I take the leap and report my review for everyone else to read after the fact?

P.S. I know a lot of people have and love their Aerostich. But I truly believe the Cycleport suit will be substantially cooler than Aerostich.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like spending money on protection is a bad thing. You could be shooting up heroin...I'd try to stop that if you asked for help.

I'm gonna buy Cycleport for me and Sherri too. I have done a lot of reading and talking to people and a thread somewhere was written by a guy with both aerostitch and cycleport. He had the stitch first and it was too hot. Found the Cycleport much better in the hot and that it provides better protection. Easy choice for the edumucated gear buyer IMO.

[SIZE=36pt]STOP[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]so I can get my order in the 10-12 week queue first! [/SIZE] :assassin:

I'm gonna buy Cycleport for me and Sherri too. I have done a lot of reading and talking to people and a thread somewhere was written by a guy with both aerostitch and cycleport. He had the stitch first and it was too hot. Found the Cycleport much better in the hot and that it provides better protection. Easy choice for the edumucated gear buyer IMO.
Yep, I read that thread/review carefully. It seems genuine enough. But I have not been able to find any other comparative review between the Aerostich and the Cycleport. Would sure feel better if one or two more comparisons agreed. Guess the product is just too new for that.

One other question pending for me, is if a one piece suit is going to be too much of a PITA compared to a two piece. I'm afraid however, that if I buy a two piece that I will grow too lazy to mess with the pants.

Yep, I read that thread/review carefully. It seems genuine enough. But I have not been able to find any other comparative review between the Aerostich and the Cycleport. Would sure feel better if one or two more comparisons agreed. Guess the product is just too new for that.

One other question pending for me, is if a one piece suit is going to be too much of a PITA compared to a two piece. I'm afraid however, that if I buy a two piece that I will grow too lazy to mess with the pants.
I have two pieces. I never go without the pants. I think it would be harder for me to get into a one piece, although I'd do it. I really think this is a personal preference thing. I like 2 pieces with a long jacket. After falling once off the DRZ and having my knee saved by the riding pants and their armor, I feel naked when I ride with jeans (and the only time I do that is after I wash my bike I ride it into the garage)

I think if we get some volunteers to go sliding down the road at 70 mph that maybe we can get Aerostich and Cycleport to donate a few...then we can just do it once, declare the winner, and use the remaining test units. Any volunteers? Rad?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...G=Google+Search
Tried Google ???? Quite a few hits from various forums !!
Yep, been there done that. Several of the hits ref non-existant pages. The bulk of the remaining are discussions where people are asking the same questions I am. Have not come across any (besides the one link posted here a couple weeks ago) where someone without a possible monetary motive owns both and reviews them.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...G=Google+Search

Tried Google ???? Quite a few hits from various forums !!
Yep, been there done that. Several of the hits ref non-existant pages. The bulk of the remaining are discussions where people are asking the same questions I am. Have not come across any (besides the one link posted here a couple weeks ago) where someone without a possible monetary motive owns both and reviews them.

I am going to be visiting family in San Diego in January and stopping by the Moto/Cycleport factory.

Before dumping a grand on ATGATT, I figured I would wait and do the hands-on test.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd be happy to ask them any questions you may have and report back on my impressions. :thumbsup: :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Here comes Toecutter..........any minute now ............. ;)
You were right. I wasn't online though...
wink.gif
Sorry for the delay.

I've done the searches and read at least some of the recently posted reviews on the Motoport/Cycleport Kevlar Mesh suit. As best as I can determine, it is the best solution available for hot climates.
My sentiments exactly...However, for long rides in real hot stuff, a base layer of microfiber is better than bare skin, at least in dry heat. Not sure about the steam you guys get back there.

I must have something to wear over Dockers/street clothes for work. It has to be something that I can walk into a meeting wearing, zip out of quickly, and get back into quickly for a quick commute elsewhere.
I do that kinda stuff all the time in mine, sometimes on top of a suit & tie. Boots complicate the attire, but ATGATT is important, unless you don't fall. I have some of these for summer.

I've been using two piece gear for winter recreational riding. But summer and temps well above 90F will be here in just a couple months.
I use mine all year, with the waterproof/windproof liners for cold/wet protection. DO NOT buy the thermal jacket liner. I use a sweatshirt or polyfleece in different weights under the liners to layer for warmth. They're much more effective, and will look better when you're walking around without the mesh on next winter after you toss your other riding suit.

I cannot afford to make a bad purchase of this magnitude. The damn things cost almost $1,000 bucks.
I have two, one that gets used and one that won't fit me. :( It's a bargain compared to the cost of skin grafts.

Somebody please stop me if/before I make a huge mistake. Or should I take the leap and report my review for everyone else to read after the fact?
Go for it. The only problem I'd have is worrying about the fit. Measure yourself exactly as shown on the online instructions, and submit the results in a well-organized form. We met Wayne Boyer, he measured us himself, and neither of our suits fit right when we got 'em. He did a good job of making it right, after we drove down there again.

P.S. I know a lot of people have and love their Aerostich. But I truly believe the Cycleport suit will be substantially cooler than Aerostich.
Like I said before, it's the suit (and bike) to have if you can have only one.
How's that?

I think if we get some volunteers to go sliding down the road at 70 mph that maybe we can get Aerostich and Cycleport to donate a few...then we can just do it once, declare the winner, and use the remaining test units. Any volunteers? Rad?
Haven't gone down yet, damned if I will for this. Are there some tires involved? Just wonderin' ;)

Haven't gone down yet, damned if I will for this. Are there some tires involved? Just wonderin' ;)
I'm gonna hit Wayne B. up about some ideas I have, and will get back about it.

Go ahead and buy it Jeff. This is some really nice chit, man! I plan on having a suit myself one of these days. Also 1 piece or two... cannot answer that one for you. What I can tell you is the two piece zips together easily.

Be careful about taking your measurements, though. Don't do it yourself. Get one of your girls to do it. That oughtta' work!

Heidi

I am going to be visiting family in San Diego in January and stopping by the Moto/Cycleport factory.Before dumping a grand on ATGATT, I figured I would wait and do the hands-on test.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd be happy to ask them any questions you may have and report back on my impressions.
If you are going in early January that would be great!

I would like to have gear in hand by no later than March 1st. It will be warm around here by then and I will be riding the bike everywhere.

I appreciate the feedback either way, before or after I place the deposit.

TC,

What would you say were the major issues with the fit? Any words of wisdom on perhaps how to avoid repeating the problem?

I'd like to be able to help you with a direct comparo myself but I only own 'Stich gear.

I've got both a Darien suit and a 1-Pc Roadcrafter. For your intended purpose, the 'Stich is ideal but simply too warm to wear (for me) if the temp climbs above 85F. If your temp range suits the 'Stich, I'd consider it as it is cheaper and easy to re-sell if you don't like it.

Todd

Boots complicate the attire, but ATGATT is important, unless you don't fall. I have some of these for summer.
Those boots were actually my first farkle from the forum. Pretty sure it was you, TC, who recommended them to me way back then. I like them a lot. But they are too hot for June-August here. They are definitely easy to get in/out of, and super comfy.

Some of my Marine/HD friends got me a pair of military desert boots. Fashionable they ain't. But man are they ever the sh$t for summer riding. There are two problems with the desert boots. They are tall and lace-up, so I have to carry alternate shoes for the office. And the shifter rubber makes this huge black spot on the left toe that must constantly be explained. :glare:

What would you say were the major issues with the fit? Any words of wisdom on perhaps how to avoid repeating the problem?
I think Wayne was a bit squeamish about measuring Eve's chest, as her jacket wouldn't close once it was built, and my pant legs were too short. Be sure to measure when you're in a seated position on the bike. We took the car down there, so he estimated how much longer my legs would need to be.

There are two problems with the desert boots. They are tall and lace-up, so I have to carry alternate shoes for the office.
I once had my lace loop catch on something on the bike (maybe my helmet lock). Luckily, I didn't need that side for balancing the bike, or it could've been bad. Beware the laces!

cycle port has a bunch of testimonials - CYCLEPORT

I had always heard that kevlar fabric threads would snap in a crash, but this guy wrote he had a get off at 60-70 and kept his skin (only a small burn on arm).

I wish this was around when I bought my stitch, I'm sure I would have picked th cycle port.