Cycleport Kevlar mesh suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once had my lace loop catch on something on the bike (maybe my helmet lock). Luckily, I didn't need that side for balancing the bike, or it could've been bad. Beware the laces!
Too true, Toe. I found Oxtar Jupiter boots (or "booties" as my Harley friends call them :) ) are breathable, waterproof and great for year around riding (wool socks in winter, wicking socks in summer). But importantly, the laces are secured behind a velcro fastened leather wrap over.
Jeff,

I rode down to San Diego last March to meet with and get measured by Wayne before I ordered mine. It's always refreshing to meet someone who believes so genuinely and passionately about their product. He did have some off-the-rack product to show at that time, and nothing beats hands-on. Lead-time then was on the order of 12 weeks, so get your order in as soon as you're comfortable doing so, but do it! :D

Cheers!

I think if we get some volunteers to go sliding down the road at 70 mph that maybe we can get Aerostich and Cycleport to donate a few...then we can just do it once, declare the winner, and use the remaining test units. Any volunteers? Rad?

Calling SCAB. he's got the practice already in ya know :p

I recently got my air-mesh-kevlar pants and jacket. I've only used it on 3 rides so far mind you, but I do like it. I like jacket much more than the pants so far, but that's really just because the leg armor hasn't molded to me yet and makes me feel like the Michelin man. I did get to go on one 70 degree day ride without the liners and was amazed how much air moves through that mesh. I was actually cold and wished I'd left he wind-proof liner in that day.

I've only been on 2 cold rides using the full liners and can attest that they really do work. It was in the 40s and 50s on those rides and I was fine without any heated gear at all.

The statements reviewers make about being able to get in/out of the pants with clothes and boots still on are true. I will say though that with the winter liner in the pants, that becomes a bit more of a pain than normal since you have to do 2 sets of zippers and velcro flaps all the way down one leg and then 2 sets 3/4 way down the other leg. I can't get in/out of my 2-piece setup nearly as fast as my friend can with his Aerostich. But, my config is more flexible and usable in a wider range of temps than his (namely the heat).

If you've got wind-proof, heated jacket/pant liners you probably wouldn't even need/want the Cycleport liners. I've second guessed if I should have opted for heated instead of the cycleport liners myself, but then I don't ride in sub-freezing temps so it hasn't been an issue yet. If I end up doing a long ride after Xmas I'll let you know how it goes in colder temps.

Call and talk with Wayne if you have an reservations about their equipment. He can give you as many accounts as you'd like of people going down in exactly the gear you plan to buy. Nearly everyone that crashes in his stuff contacts him about it even if they gear doesn't need to be repaired. For instance when i was trying to decide on mesh or non-mesh, I was concerned how much durability I'd be giving up by going mesh... He said he just had a guy send in his mesh suit to have hip armor added to it. The guy low-sided on the track at 80 (no, the mesh stuff is not rated for track use like the stretch-kevlar is) and contacted him to let him know how great the suit held up. It didn't need repairs, he just had some bad bruising on his hip from the impact; so Wayne suggested he ship it in and have hip armor added. He can give as many examples as you'd like.

The last thing I'll say about the kevlar mesh is that the stuff is tough which also means it's not as flexible as the kevlar stretch fabric. I haven't been uncomfortable in it really though. They do a good job of blending flexible sections with the mesh pannels to make it work well. Also it'll scratch your paint over time so make sure you've got a tank protector of some kind anywhere your legs and/or belly would touch the tank.

I bought a used set of motoport pants and a coat to go with it on ebay. They do not draw the crowd of the Aerostich stuff so the prices are much lower.

I was disappointed to see "Made in China" on the labels. That explains the 12 week wait time. But the coat and pants are heavy and well made, and it all fits well. I have not tried crashing yet, but I'll write that up if it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the kevlar air mesh pants and jacket for a year now and they've been a very good investment. The pants have softened up after about 6 months so they are more comfortable to wear. I also have an Aerostitch Roadcrafter that is about 13 years old. It's still in great shape, although it doesn't get much use now that the Motoport gear is in house. Riding in 100 degree heat works fine with the mesh, although you have to be careful to heep hydrated because the air flow will suck the moisture right out of you, but you won't get overheated from baking in low airflow gear.

Under 70 degrees, you will need the liners or a light under layer of some kind. By 60 degrees, you will definitely need the liners or a solid fleece layer. The fabric flows that much air, especailly the jacket. You probably don't need a liner under the pants (assuming you are wearing jeans under them) until around 50-55 degree weather depending on how long the ride is.

I can't compare crash and slide performance, knock on wood, but the Motoport armor definitely has much more body coverage tha the Stitch. For the price, especially here in Texas, the Motoport gear rocks. In Seattle or Miinneapolis, I might prefer the Stitch.

Quality wise, you can't go wrong with either set of gear.

With the Motoport, the one thing I'd do different is buy the shorter jacket, versus the parka length. The extra length seemed like a good idea, but on the bike, it's mostly in the way, and tends to bunch up the jacket.

Thanks Tag. That's exactly the type of opinion I'm looking for. Someone who has bought and used both.

Plus, our climates are very similar. I lived in the Rio Grande Valley for a couple years. Even The Valley typically doesn't get as hot as coastal NC.

I'll second tag's comments on the 3/4 length jacket. That's what I went with and it's not at all in the way while riding on the FJR. I opted to get the zipper to zip the jacket to the pants also and it works as advertised keeping everything in place; although it makes the overall "suit" a bit more rigid and hard to move when off-bike. So I usually unzip it when I'm not riding or walking, etc.

A little lare for this post but!!!! I bought one two years ago and I love. I used it at Streets of Willow and two other guys there had the same and both loved theirs. I bought the 2 piece. Wayne was terrific and I highly reccomend them. Its the best around. Need a repair or you have lost weight, just send it back and for a small charge they will repair it. Good company and its 10 stars for me.

Lucky :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I saved my pennies and aluminum cans and took the plunge. I've been considering the Aerostich Darien Jacket / pants combo and found the Cycleport gear right here on the FJR Forum.

Well, thanks to everyone who's interested and brought this to my attention. I rode to Cycleport today at noon and met with Wayne, who answered all of my stupid questions. I told Wayne how I wanted to feel it, finger it, wear it, etc...., which he allowed me to do without hesitation.

I was considering the Ultra II Kevlar and decided to buy the Ultra II Kevlar Air Mesh Jacket / Pants and liners. I was lucky as he had a jacket and pants that I was able to try on and buy right there with no waiting! I bought the grey and black jacket and black pants to match my Cerulean rocketship.

The material reminds me of shark skin, really rough textured, yet smooth. He took me on a quicky tour of the facility and showed me just about every step of the manufacturing process. I was able to go hands on with several materials and used suits, jackets and pants that suffered minimal damage during high speed crashes. I was most impressed with a one piece suit that sustained abrasions and small rips during a 100 mph crash involving the motorcycle and a deer. The rider walked away, just like so many of his testimonials. Wayne also handed me a small piece of stretch Kevlar and cut it to simulate a tear and asked me to tear it with my hands, end result = no fricken' way!!!!! Wasn't happening today or tomorrow.

Wayne was super and very helpful. I was also very suprised as the entire suit is relatively light weight and comfortable from the start. I rode home in comfort, style and most of all, with the confidence that If I crash and eat it on the concrete cheese grater, the Kevlar will save my skin and my arse! Expensive...you bet; however, my skin is worth more than 1000 clams to me!

My thoughts, ........If your considering it, you can't go wrong.