cycleport/motoport evaluatuion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbacon

Reaction score
About a month ago I reported on getting some Motoport Ultra II Kevlar mesh jacket and riding pants. The apparel was certainly well made and seemed very substantial but I had to send it back to try for a refund. Though I really wanted the jacket and pants to work, I simply could not get comfortable in the stuff. It was very stiff, heavy and confining. The pants are to be worn over jeans but the darn things rode up so uncomfortably that I felt like I was wearing one of my grandbabies Pampers. Had to stop at every light to adjust the goods--not a pleasant sight for other motorists I'm sure. The jacket felt like armour--making over the shoulder head turns at lane changes difficult. I know the stuff is supposed to relax if you put it in a commercial dryer with gym shoes or hang it from a tree and beat it with a stick but I didn't want to do that then return it for a refund. What I found is that I would simply not wear the stuff. I'd go to the closet and rationalize--I'm only going on a short ride so I'll wear the TourMaster tried and true jacket and pants. I knew that if I kept this gear I probably would not wear it so why spend a thousand to have the best protection known to man hanging in the garage. If you own the motoport gear and it works for you, that is a good thing. I'm sure its very, very good protective wear. It just didn't work for me. Now I'll test the satisfaction guarantee. Next up, Aerostich.

I understand, but from the other way around.

I ordered Aerostich,and sent it back.

The CP gear works well for me -

although I did ride in for a custom fitting and what not.

I get the big pix though - not every product works for everyone.

I have a Stich Roadcrafter for the winter / wet weather riding and Cycleport GP2 jacked and pant for the summer / hot weather. Owned off the shelf apparel and even tough they are lighter they did not offer the same protection when needed. The off the shelf stuff burned through on my slide on the asphalt. That is my review.

I had a similar issue with the motoport jacket.After a couple of send backs, we couldn't get the fit right. I was able to try it out though when they started to get the fit right. After taking this stuff for a test spin,, it couldn't imagine wearing it in anything but cold conditions. you need to have wind going through this stuff for it to really be comfortable. my V-stream just wasn't going to stand for all that nonsense. I also couldnt turn my head to look in my blind spots on lane changes. Just felt like i was wearing a thin piece of armor.

I will say that this gear is well made, extremely protective, and the cycleport people are "very accommodating" in all aspects of their business. The first jacket they sent me seemed to ignore all the measurements that i had sent them and had to be returned (on my nickel). The next one was a combination of what i sent them the first time the adjustments that had to be made to the one they sent to make it work. That got close enough for me to take a test run with it (but not close enough for me to keep)and had to be returned (on my nickel).

didnt get the pants, so cant comment.

GreyGoose

In the spirit of helpfulness, here's my take on Cycleport. I have the Kevlar II Ultra Mesh 3/4 length jacket and pants too. I also bought the rain liners for both.and the warmth liner for the jacket. I thoroughly field tested the set (without liners) a couple years ago in Montana. Flipped the bike and together, we tumbled through a field of broken granite. Broken granite has lots of points and sharp edges. And it's hard.

I came out pretty bruised, but had zero abrasions, cuts, holes, anything--in whatever was covered by the CP gear. My helmet was scraped and deeply gouged. There was absolutely NO visible damage to the CP suit. Well, it was pretty dirty. The bike? Don't ask.

So, protection? Ten out of ten. Fit was fine for me, using the self-measuring technique. Comfort is OK. The stuff is stiff, not particularly easy to get into (zippers are difficult to start--a side effect of the stiffness, which is a side effect of how tough the material is). Makes a piss poor hiking suit. Warmth in cold temperatures--fairly low marks, no matter what I try to layer under it. Instead, I wear a thinsulate-lined leather jacket when it's cold--and around here, that's from low 40's down. Coolness/comfort in high temps--not great. I do use a cooling vest when I have to ride in much heat, but the internal flexible armor in the CP jacket blocks a lot of air, and negates a lot of the benefit of the mesh. For short local rides, I admit I'll just put on a lightweight mesh jacket sometimes, and ride vewwy carefully (try to do that anyway, of course).

I don't like any of the liners--the expensive liners--that came with this gear, and wouldn't spend the money again. Anything they do you can do better--and cheaper--by layering your own gear. Which you already own anyway. The liners all zip in using complicated multiple zippers. When I do use a liner, I never zip it in. I just put it on and put the jacket on over it. And the only one I use at all is the lightweight nylon rain liner for the jacket--which I use as a windbreaker. Works for that, but doesn't add much warmth.

So I think it's great for much of the riding you'll likely do, excluding extreme temps on either end, and using separate layers for warmth and separate rain gear. Since you asked.... ;)

Guess I'm old school.

Growing up protective gear was Jeans and a Jean Jacket,and as soon as you could afford one a leather bomber jacket.

I know there are textiles out there that are said to be just as good as, but my mind says why settle for as good as just go with leather.

Areostich Transit Suit

248_249_2a_4.jpg

Just half a season on this one so far, used in temps ranged from the high 40's to low 90's and it's working, vents well, sometimes I think too well.

Crash tested, little asphalt surfing, some gravel, some rocks and dead tree branches. I got a bruise on the chin from face planting the shoei multitec and a couple bruised ribs. The suit nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carver said it be3st....every piece and every option isn't for everyone.

My evaluation has been published many times: Don't leave home without it.

Crash tested for the good of the forum members....It Works!

Out of the box, it is very stiff. The "tennis shoes in the dryer" trick works. The gear does soften after laundering. also.

I use my rain liners and they work. For two years I've ridden through Western Canada with exskibum, mutiple days of rain on both trips and no leaks.

Again: This equipment may not be for everyone.

For me, commuting to work in 32-40 degree weather is not problem.

Riding across Southern Idaho, Utah and Nevada deserts was no problem with my MiraCool vest.

Riding in 100+ degree Sacramento Valley temps, no problem.

Crashing my KLR at 45 mph and sliding into a barricade, no problem.

Sliding off a wooden bridge into a ditch in the rain in B.C, no problem

Being a bit more stiff than my Kilimanjaro but not burning through or legs zippers opening on impact, no problem.

Jumping off the bridge into the rapids from a moving train while juggling live hand grenades . . . no problem

hillbillys.jpg

AND, he'll taunt and provoke the likes of Tyler. And BARB! On PURPOSE!

:lol: . :lol: . :lol: . :lol: . :lol:

I don't like any of the liners--the expensive liners--that came with this gear, and wouldn't spend the money again. Anything they do you can do better--and cheaper--by layering your own gear. Which you already own anyway. The liners all zip in using complicated multiple zippers. When I do use a liner, I never zip it in. I just put it on and put the jacket on over it. And the only one I use at all is the lightweight nylon rain liner for the jacket--which I use as a windbreaker. Works for that, but doesn't add much warmth.
Agree. I like my 18 USD vest with neck warmer fleece thingie much better.. Toecutter told me, but NOooooo, I didn't listen.

Jumping off the bridge into the rapids from a moving train while juggling live hand grenades . . . no problem

hillbillys.jpg

AND, he'll taunt and provoke the likes of Tyler. And BARB! On PURPOSE!

:lol: . :lol: . :lol: . :lol: . :lol:
Is that HotRodZilla and Patch308???

Airboss, the Aerostich Transit suit is definitely the way to go... um, except for that $1500 price tag. It is probably worth that much and the one I saw certainly looked fabulous. The guy inside it had just gotten it so didn't have a firm opinion yet and was anxious to try it in the rain. But jimminy crickets, most of us are out of our league looking at the Roadcrafters for half that price. I'm pretty happy with my Olympia AST jacket/Ranger pants ensemble for quarter the price.

"You get what you pay for", my wife says, so I hope I don't regret going downscale on the gear. I hope I never have to find out.

I'd like to hear about the Transit suit after it gets some miles on it.

pete

hillbillys.jpg
Other than having to be Rock Tumbled with large boulders, CP is premium gear IMO.

:huh: Is that a certain Arkansasonian from this forum and his brother? :blink: Please tell me that's not drool stain on the gentlemans shirt on the right? :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Airboss, the Aerostich Transit suit is definitely the way to go... um, except for that $1500 price tag. It is probably worth that much and the one I saw certainly looked fabulous. The guy inside it had just gotten it so didn't have a firm opinion yet and was anxious to try it in the rain. But jimminy crickets, most of us are out of our league looking at the Roadcrafters for half that price. I'm pretty happy with my Olympia AST jacket/Ranger pants ensemble for quarter the price.

"You get what you pay for", my wife says, so I hope I don't regret going downscale on the gear. I hope I never have to find out.

I'd like to hear about the Transit suit after it gets some miles on it.

pete
:lol: Yeah Big Bucks

I stopped at Aerostich Rider Warehouse on a trip back from the west coast to take a look at the Roadcrafters and Darien gear. I knew I was going to buy one, just didn't know if it was going to be one piece or two piece.

The thing is at the Aerostich store they have all the goodies available to try out, and encourage you to do just that, try everything. They are just as interested in getting you into what's right for you as you are.

After trying all three I just had to go with the Transit Suit, I felt that much more comfortable in it, I forced myself to afford it.

I wore it out of the store and did a 500 mile day to break it in.

The Transit may not be for everyone but for me it's my go to gear.

Could never find the love for the Cycleport stuff. Years ago met Wayne to check out the stuff and get measured, but it was too big, bulky, fugly, and $$$$ for me. Never have actually tried it.

Would love to try a 'stitch. VERY popular in the LD community. Still, too much $$$$ for me. I am worried about how the 'stitch will perform in typical Arizona spring through fall temps of 100+. And I just can't spend that much coin on a suit unless I KNOW I'll love it.

So, it's been the cheap stuff for me. So far in my wrecks it's performed well though the wrecks weren't all that bad. An for the $100-$170 I spend on a jacket every three or four years, economical. Currently really like the Tourmaster Transition jacket. Not the most durable, but for $170 I don't mind replacing it every 3-5 years.

Until.................

Today. And that motherf***er Airboss. You bastard! You got me totally jonesing for that leather transit suit. Just checked it out and read some reviews. Nice. Very nice. Freaking $1500. It's gonna have to wait a while, but it's on the list. Wonder how it will do in the 100+, or even 105-110+ temps of the southwest 'dry heat'. Damn you Airboss! I WAAAANT one.

And as for........

hillbillys.jpg

I never knew I had two long lost brothers!

(Ha! I beat you bastards to the punch!)

And that motherf***er Airboss. You bastard! You got me totally jonesing for that leather transit suit. Just checked it out and read some reviews. Nice. Very nice. Freaking $1500. It's gonna have to wait a while, but it's on the list. Wonder how it will do in the 100+, or even 105-110+ temps of the southwest 'dry heat'. Damn you Airboss! I WAAAANT one.
airboss, griff and I will be heading through southern Utah (Bryce and Zion) in May before heading over through Nevada to Death Valley. C'mon up for a little ride to Utah to check out the suit if you can keep your little monkey butt in the FJR saddle long enough to get up there. :rolleyes: