cycleport/motoport users questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbacon

Reaction score
Since I was such a good boy, Santa delivered a new set to Ultra II Kevlar Air Mesh jacket and pants. The stuff is really heavy duty and well made. However, its so stiff out of the box that its almost awkward to wear. I assume that the suit breaks in after some wearing--please verify. I ordered the pants one size larger than I usually wear for jeans as I figured they would have to go over my jeans. With all the armor in place I feel a little like a turtle--if I fell, I might not be able to get upright because its so rigid. Here is a question for users: How do you get the pants on over your boots and jeans? I tried to follow Wayne's enclosed instructions (in which he claims it takes 10 seconds) but it was very difficult. Does the zipper on the right leg zip open to the crotch then you step in or does it start open lowered to the cuff? I've actually been dressing myself for years but these pants have me baffled. Any help or advice is appreciated. The material seems almost bullet proof but I fear that if its too difficult to get on or too stiff it might get in the way as a distraction instead of a protective piece of gear. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Kevin:

Congrats. The Motoport is awesome gear, and you'll not regret the spend.

Here's my method: first, start with the boots on. Then, unzip the bottom of both legts to about the knee, and the top of the right leg also to the knee. Lay the pants out in front, then step one of the legs into the pants (I usually do left first, then right), then the other. Then zip the top back up, then the bottoms back down. Same process, in reverse, to get out.

It's stiff, and most of it never goes away. Sorry. I've got 40K miles on my Motoport pants.

The Ultra II Mesh pants are the easiest to get in of pretty much any pant out there. With the liner, it's a PITA only because of the velcro closure. The outer pants are easy by themselves. The process is the same liner or not. Start standing.

- Open the pants all the way up. Left leg goes up to the crotch, right leg all the way up and disconnect.

- With boots on, step through the left leg.

- Step over the pants with the right leg

- Fasten the closure at the waist on the right. Zip all the way down, and close the velcro on the way back up to upright

- Zip the left leg down, and fasten the velcro on the way back up.

You shouldn't have to sit, and doing the right leg first means you dont fight with the pant to keep it up (in Hudsons example).

The industrial washer trick does work. Go to a large format laundromat, and run the pants through 3 or 4 times. The pants don't get much more pliable than they are after they come out of that cycle.

Good luck.

It's stiff, and most of it never goes away. Sorry. I've got 40K miles on my Motoport pants.
Yeah, I had a buddy whose wife told him (he was nearly 70 years of age), that she wanted him off of motorcycles after he totaled his '05 FJR 1300 a year ago, & that he had to quit riding.

OK, I call him and say, "Hey guy, so sorry to hear about the bike, hope you're OK?" and then I added "...and what are you going to do with that Motoport suit, I'll pay your price?".

He and I were around the same size, so he sends it to me for a try-on. That thing was so stiff that I felt like a mummy. Couldn't handle it, and sent it back.

Currently, I use under outer garment armour, and heavy Denim over jeans with a Tour Master jacket for suit protection.

I once totaled an Aerostitch Roadcrafter and "that" was the "Best" suit I have ever worn and crashed in.

Congrats on being a *good* boy and receiving your just rewards from Santa. The CyclePort gear is pretty stiff, but does loosen up with wear. Definitely take it to a laundromat and follow Wayne's washing instructions, that will help a bit.

As far as getting into the pants...I unzip everything as far as it will go. Boots on, left all the way up and right side completely open. Step through the left and swing the right into position. After a few tries it does get easier. The velcro is a PITA...

Enjoy your new gear!

--G

The Ultra II Mesh pants are the easiest to get in of pretty much any pant out there. With the liner, it's a PITA only because of the velcro closure. The outer pants are easy by themselves. The process is the same liner or not. Start standing.

- Open the pants all the way up. Left leg goes up to the crotch, right leg all the way up and disconnect.

More than one new owner has not known the right leg unzips to disconnect.

- With boots on, step through the left leg.

- Step over the pants with the right leg

- Fasten the closure at the waist on the right. Zip all the way down, and close the velcro on the way back up to upright

- Zip the left leg down, and fasten the velcro on the way back up.

You shouldn't have to sit, and doing the right leg first means you dont fight with the pant to keep it up (in Hudsons example).

The industrial washer trick does work. Go to a large format laundromat, and run the pants through 3 or 4 times. The pants don't get much more pliable than they are after they come out of that cycle.

Good luck.
Yep!

IIRC, it is recommended that you put a pair (or 2 pair) of tennis shoes in the dryer with the pants. It really does help make them a bit more pliable.

Notoport offers top-notch protection and the stiffness is the price you pay for it. Besides the $$$$$ price you also pay. You could wear silk pajamas instead but they probably won't help much in a get-off. My experience is mostly with the Roadcrafter 2-pc suit which is also very stiff, even uncomfortable, at first but breaks-in with wear. Or maybe it's the rider that breaks-in. In any case, the Motoport and/or Roadcrafter will get better with age. Ride more and it happens sooner.

And congrats on Santa's good taste! What color did he choose?

pete

Thanks to all who responded to my request for help. As usual, I get the best help and the best laughs from the FJR forum. With the prompt help, I was able to resolve the problem of dressing myself. While its difficult to admit, I was not able to open the right leg completely because I wasn't bringing BOTH pull tabs to the top of the leg opening. Using only one pull tab gets you nothing. Now they are very easy to enter without the one legged balancing act I had to attempt with the right leg not fully opened. Speaking of getting nothing, the suggestion of wearing the motoports to bed might help break them in but I can hardly nuzzle my wife when I skip shaving for a day or two. Again thanks to all who responded. Ride safe--Kevin

Don't like one-legged dancing, so I don and doff my Cycleport trou bootless. Wonder how soon you'll be able to ride test them up in Sturgeon Bay. Good luck, and Happy New Year (to all of ya).

The process for breaking in my air mesh kevlar pants was simple.

1) open box from motoport with air mesh kevlar pants inside

2) take pants out while wondering how this material is not going to scratch the hell out of my bike

3) try to put pants on

4) realize how stiff and uncomfortable they are

5) box pants back up and send back to motoport

6) order new motoport pants made completely from stretch kevlar

7) Success!!!

I guess I just don't mind them being stiff. Only took a day or two of riding for them to conform to my shape (the armor, mostly), and I find them very comfortable to wear and ride in. Glad you got the pants entry routine down -- pretty fast once you know that drill and get used to it.

The # 1 Cycleport accessory !

Super dark sunglasses have super dark AC sunglass shades. If your eyes are sensitive to light, OR YOU WEAR A CYCLEPORT MESH SUIT, super dark sunglasses are made just for you! Super Dark sunglasses are great poker sunglasses too! The lenses are dark enough that others can not see your eyes. Get your game on with a pair of Super Dark Sunglasses today! YOU"LL NEVER HAVE TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR AT THAT SUIT AGAIN ! :p

8LOC9005.jpg

Hey specialk, are these the jeans you're talking about?

https://www.motoport.com/_product_106915/Police_Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Pant

I've been thinking about adding their jeans to my jacket, but I too, was worried about scratching my tank!

SHEESCH! I just noticed that I'm still listed as a "Training Pilot"! WTF? I've only been riding for 50 yrs. . . How do I get out of THIS group? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
SHEESCH! I just noticed that I'm still listed as a "Training Pilot"! WTF? I've only been riding for 50 yrs. . . How do I get out of THIS group? :eek:

You need to make 6 more posts...to reach 100 and end your training pilot status.

You joined here in 08 and only have 94 posts. ??

KM

I have had there winter jacket for years (challenger AX) & it keeps me comphy & warm (but) there snaps suck. I have had to replace 6 of them so far (that`s within the first year of ownership),as the tops pop off, then the female side of the snap on the inside comes off. My buddy bought the same jacket (about the same time & replaced 7 of them). I called them & they said they would gladly send me new ones (for a price + shipping) :angry: will never buy from them again.

Last edited by a moderator: