D-38 Rigid Dry bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve'o'

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have one of the Dry-Spec D-38 Rigid Dry Bags, and if so what are the pros and cons of the bag? I just ordered one. It looked like one of the better ones on the market with some added features.

Hi Steve.

I bought the D66 'combo', see here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=144911&st=0&p=954066&fromsearch=1entry954066

Since buying them, I haven't been on any long rides where I've needed them. They do seem well made.

I bought mine directly from Twisted Throttle, I've given up on A Vicious Cycle.

Al.
Yes I read a couple of things regarding AVC, but I thoughtI would give them a try. I ordered the bag 4 weeks ago and nothing yet, so I called last week, and they said the bags were back ordered. Just for spite I then called TT and they did confirm the bags were even on back order to them. Called AVC today and according to one of the staff, my bag is boxed up and should be out in the mail later today or tomorrow. I'll give them until Friday to see if I get the bag or a tracking #, otherwise I'll be making another call. I think the bag is a good one, seems to have everything I was looking for other than some way to lock it. I guess that is what the saddlebags are for.

I received the D-38 Rigid Dry bag yesterday in the mail from AVC. It arrived on time as expected and everything was included in the order. The day I called the staff were friendly and seemed to be willing to accommodate me with what ever question or request I asked. The bag seems to be what I was looking for, waterproof, was the main reason, and attachment straps, which at first glance appear that they may be a bit short. Locking ability of the bag will prove to be pretty much non existant, but, again that was not the reason for choosing this bag. The waterproof construction, rigid core and attaching straps were what sold me on this bag. The bag will be put to use within the next 3 weeks as I will be using it on the trip to Laconia and back.

If the attaching straps don't look like they'll do the job, I recommend Rok Straps, maybe two sets. They cost under $15, WAY more secure and safer than bungees (no hooks to snap back). I keep mine attached and crossed over the back seat all the time so they're always ready to strap down an oversized box or whatever. (The FJR is my main Costco vehicle.) I mount my duffel sideways, rather than front-to-back as shown in the pics; leaves more room behind me, and the Rok Straps hold it nice and tight.

As for locking, NO zippered bag is really secure. Way too easy to put the tip of a ball point pen into the zipper and work it open by separating the teeth, then just slide it side to side to open the whole zipper, never disturbing the padlock. Don't assume anything you leave in a bag is safe.

I received the D-38 Rigid Dry bag yesterday in the mail from AVC. It arrived on time as expected and everything was included in the order. The day I called the staff were friendly and seemed to be willing to accommodate me with what ever question or request I asked. The bag seems to be what I was looking for, waterproof, was the main reason, and attachment straps, which at first glance appear that they may be a bit short. Locking ability of the bag will prove to be pretty much non existant, but, again that was not the reason for choosing this bag. The waterproof construction, rigid core and attaching straps were what sold me on this bag. The bag will be put to use within the next 3 weeks as I will be using it on the trip to Laconia and back.
Hi Steve. Would you please take a pic or two of how and where you strap the bag to the bike?

I'm looking for a bag too and you're requirements match mine. The only additional need I have is that it has to fit on the tail as the rear seat has been replaced with a Smuggler.

Would appreciate the help in deciding.

Hi Steve. Would you please take a pic or two of how and where you strap the bag to the bike?

I'm looking for a bag too and you're requirements match mine. The only additional need I have is that it has to fit on the tail as the rear seat has been replaced with a Smuggler.

Would appreciate the help in deciding.
I am mounting the D-38 on the rear part of the seat sideways as ScaramentoMike is, and I am also using the Rok straps, purchased those last year and 2 more sets this year. PM me with your email and I will gladly send you some photos of the bag mounted on my bike.