D3O Armor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barn Boy

Reaction score
Started this season with a Fieldsheer High Temp mesh jacket. I like it a lot except for the back armor which feels like a plank of 1/4 inch plywood.

I was looking at the First Gear jacket information on their site and they had a couple of videos about D3O armor that they use in two of their jackets.

After doing some more research, I went to the Motorcyclegear.com website and ordered a back, shoulder and elbow set of D3O armor. Great seller and they shipped quickly.

I received them today and Wow! They weigh about 50% less than the hard rubber armor and they form nicely to the contour of my back and forearms.

If you don't like having a turtle back, you might want to check them out. $25 for the back armor and $20 each for the shoulder and elbow set.

Barn Boy

Thanks for the review/information. I've looked at the same armor, and wondered if it would work or be worth the money -- sounds like a great path!

I did the same thing a few years ago. Changed the back and knee armor to D3O in a couple pieces of gear I have. My seamstress SO modified the back pocket, increasing the size and reinforcement and I gotta say, the final product is great. Knee armor change improved the comfort of the pants too.

If you have favorite gear, the improved armor is well worth the upgrade cost.

YMMV

--G

I had some tightness in the knees of my Aerostich, so I cut up a D3O back pad into two kneed pads. I agree, it's flexible and light weight! (And affordable too)