Dashboard light replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iride

Reaction score
Hey FJR fans,

I read this site's post but don't post much myself. My dashboard appears to have a burnt out bulb. The right side of the tach and left portion of the speedo are dark. Has anyone here replaced a dash light, or is there an archived link I can check to see what it takes to change one?

Thanks for your help,

Bill in San Antonio

Bill,

This is a start

Link

I assume you have a pre-'06, but I guess an '06 could have a burned out bulb already as well.

Lot's of work getting to any bulbs.

A job for the off season if you can wait (not a quick job by any means)

Hi,,Iride

I agree with what pawtracks said..I did mine on my 03 (70,000 miles)..What a PITA.The bulbs are tiny

little suckers.There are a couple of screws that were tough. :angry2: Take your time,replace them all,

because you don't want to do the job twice !!! ;)

Hi,,IrideI agree with what pawtracks said..I did mine on my 03 (70,000 miles)..What a PITA.The bulbs are tiny

little suckers.There are a couple of screws that were tough. :angry2: Take your time,replace them all,

because you don't want to do the job twice !!! ;)
Thanks for the link pawtracks. I believe I'll take you guys' advice and wait until it's cooler before changing out the bulbs. I'm taking a trip tomorrow and thought it would be nice to replace the bulb before leaving, but I can live with it for now.

Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I searched the forum (using google) and found this thread--instead of posting my own duplicate thread!

HAHAHAHA! I'm not a dumbass! :yahoo: Gimme some love....

Having established that; I have exactly the same problem with same burned-out dashboard light on a 2005 FJR. Is the above advice still sound? Should I go ahead and replace all of them while I'm in there?

Just for fun....take the panel off to see if it's a snap or a mind **** of a job to do.

If the jobs easy don't fret it....if it's a pain in the ass...might be a good idea.

Too bad you didn't keep searching and find this this thread I wrote a week ago about the dash light experience. It even includes pretty pictures.
If you Google: Fjrforum dashboard bulb

This thread is the only thread that comes up in fjrforum.

If I use the forum search feature, this thread is the second thread. Your thread still doesn't show up.

Next time I'll just post a duplicate thread. :lol:

Has anyone been successful at getting a stealership to cover the dash bulb replacement under YES warranty? I'm sure there is a disclaimer in there somewhere that lets them off the hook, right?

Too bad you didn't keep searching and find this this thread I wrote a week ago about the dash light experience. It even includes pretty pictures.
If you Google: Fjrforum dashboard bulb

This thread is the only thread that comes up in fjrforum.

If I use the forum search feature, this thread is the second thread. Your thread still doesn't show up.

Next time I'll just post a duplicate thread. :lol:
It takes time for Google to catch up on the forum to be sure. However, the problem seems to be using of incorrect term.s The service microfiche (and I bet the service manual too) call it a "speedometer assy"...so searching on "dash" or "dashboard" is only going to be helpful if somebody else has referred to it with the wrong name also.

If you search on +speedometer +light it's the first and second links and "dashboard" never appears.

As always searching usually takes more than one try.

You're welcome for the pictures too...... :lol:

I shudder to think what will come up if I Google for "speedometer assy". :eek:

Yes, the pictures are very nice. I'm going to replace all the lights prophylactically :eek: