DC POWER Filter for Chatterbox

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you intend to power the unit with 12v from the bike? The Chatterbox GMRS and FRS units have a built-in rechargeable battery, and they cannot be operated without it. The 12v charge jack only serves to either charge the battery or extend the battery life during operation.

If you intend to attach ANY other audio device that's bike powered to the Chatterbox that's also bike powered, then YES! You better have isolation audio cables and power isolation on everything. Otherwise the feedback can fry components. The Chatterbox 12v charge jack has zero isolation in my experience.

If you use the Chatterbox on battery, (as it's truly intended) then no isolation cables or power filters are typically required.

I assume you intend to power the unit with 12v from the bike? The Chatterbox GMRS and FRS units have a built-in rechargeable battery, and they cannot be operated without it. The 12v charge jack only serves to either charge the battery or extend the battery life during operation.
If you intend to attach ANY other audio device that's bike powered to the Chatterbox that's also bike powered, then YES! You better have isolation audio cables and power isolation on everything. Otherwise the feedback can fry components. The Chatterbox 12v charge jack has zero isolation in my experience.

If you use the Chatterbox on battery, (as it's truly intended) then no isolation cables or power filters are typically required.

I have a GPS that is plugged into the power outlet in the utility box and a cell phone that is also plugged into the utility box. Thanks for the tip. Will I have a problem with these not having a filter or should I use the chatterbox filter for all of them?