Dead Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*First...DO NOT try jump starting with your car battery!
Hey Mr. RepairMan. You sound as if you know what you are talking about. Do you agree or disagree with the following?

I have a jump start device from Sam's that has a 12V, 450 amp output I carry in my pick up. You hook it up to the battery before you turn it on. That should eliminate any damaging spark to your delicate electronics.

Thanks, JustPlainDave,

Absolutely. ...and their are many "jumper packs" that do not have an "ON"-"OFF" switch so care must be taken to follow the steps on the pack.

As long as you have the key off (preferably in your pocket) and any and ALL electrical consumers are off (accessories such as GPS, MP3 player, etc.) you can work safely with your bike's or car's battery (with some very few exceptions).

Do you agree DD and Radman? :)

RB

BTW DD, would you like to see a list of my credentials with references? :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the topic at hand, if the battery has any significant time on it and has been driven into deep discharge, just replace it. It's probably on it's last legs. They're not worth screwing around with.

If you anticipate leaving the bike unridden for more than a week or two, then you need to get a smart charger. There is generally no issue at all trickle charging a battery "in situ". Lots of folks leave their FJR's semi-pemanently hooked up to smart chargers.

- Mark

Absolutely. ...and their are many "jumper packs" that do not have an "ON"-"OFF" switch so care must be taken to follow the steps on the pack.
As long as you have the key off (preferably in your pocket) and any and ALL electrical consumers are off (accessories such as GPS, MP3 player, etc.) you can work safely with your bike's or car's battery (with some very few exceptions).

Do you agree DD and Radman? :)

RB

BTW DD, would you like to see a list of my credentials with references? :haha:
Ok, let me start with an apology. About the time I clicked "submit", I realized it was a rather arrogant reply on my part. Guess I was just a little cranky at the moment (hectic day at the shop). Please accept my apology and I'll try to stick to "just the facts".

I still strongly refute your position on the "do not jump start" issue. Ten or fifteen years ago, Toyota used to ship new ECMs in anti-static, hermetically sealed packages. As time went on, we came to realize that computers of this type are way more stable than we originally thought. Nowadays, we're lucky if new factory ECMs come in a sheet of bubblewrap. As you just said..."key off" is a reasonable precaution. In more than two decades of working on computer controlled cars, I have NEVER seen an ECM damaged by jump starting a car "correctly". Show me a car (or bike) that had the ECM damaged by jump starting, and I'll show you one that had the jumper cables hooked up backwards by some bonehead!

You are also correct that asking your alternator to recharge a dead battery is a burden. If you do it once or twice, it's probably a non-issue. If you do it more often than that, you probably deserve to have to buy a new alternator.

Finally, no I don't need to see a list of your credentials unless you desire to do so. The two I listed for myself are only the tip of the iceberg as well, and I don't wish to turn this into a pissing contest. I do know that I'm well educated and am very good at my job (that's the oppinion of those I work with...not just myself), and stand firmly behind my assertions here on the topic. Again, please accept my apology for what certainly looked like a personal attack on my part.

DD, we're kewl :drinks:
RogerB
Lord, I hope that's dark beer! I never drink that yellow fizzy stuff. ;)

2694beer3.gif

Kewl! :D

Yup, I would agree with that Rep dude. I've seen several things toast modern eletrical thingies on a jump start, most common is reversed polarity, followed by key on arcing, then overvolts (18volts applied, which a lot of commercial starters now are capable of). Also a problem is a starter overheat caused by lengthy cranking, and the occasional ether cook off, always fun to clean up after. Done right, by a competent individual, jump starting is a pretty straightforward operation, with little danger to the vehicles involved nor their owners. I also agree with the charging of a dead battery by the vehicles charging system-it's designed to maintain a charge, not build it. The Feejers charging system, while a little weak on available current, seems robust enough otherwise, as one hears little in the way of complaints about durability or performance, but I wouldn't push it, 'cuz Yami thinks all the parts on this thing were built for the military, with the appropriate pricing schedule..... ;)

Interesting topic. But brings up, for me, a couple of questions:

1 - If the battery is TRULY dead, not just almost, but D-E-A-D dead, is push/pull/coast/bump starting it still gonna work with no juice to energize the fuel injection or charge the coil?

and 2 - This really bothers me for some reason:

You are also correct that asking your alternator to recharge a dead battery is a burden. If you do it once or twice, it's probably a non-issue. If you do it more often than that, you probably deserve to have to buy a new alternator.
Why would this be true? The alternator has a given ceiling of power it's capable of generating. What, 470 watts I believe? Even if the battery is stone dead, the max the alternator is gonna put out is 470 watts. How is it gonna be "overworked"? Sure, there's on/off/on/off switching going on during the recharge cycle, but just because the battery needs more doesn't mean the alternator is gonna work harder putting out more to satisfy a greedy battery. So if a 75amp/hr battery is stone dead, it's not gonna "suck the life" out of a 35amp/hr alternator in one giant, Dracula-like burst...it's gonna take 2 hours at max charge rate capable to bring it back to full charge.

That's what my (admittedly) layman's view of charging systems tells me.

Would you someone care to educate me where I'm missing the point?

Howie, the dead=dead start the bike thing is an issue. However, in the push-starting process, turning over the engine also means turning over the alternator, which generates electricity to juice up the ECM to make the EFI work. So if it's dead-dead, it's gonna take a pretty spirited push to make things happen, but it can happen.

Now as for the overworking the alternator thing, just because it has a maximum amperage output rating, doesn't mean it will be happy working at its' maximum capacity for an extended period of time. And if the battery is in a very low state of charge, it will prompt the alternator to work extra hard to satisfy the battery's need, and the alternator will try its' hardest to satisfy that need. So if your battery is very low, it WILL force the alternator to work to its' maximum capacity, which the alternator will comply with...it just won't like it much. Does that answer your question??

Try this; lift a 75 lb weight over your head. I'm guessing you can probably do it. Now try holding this weight over your head for one minute. Let me know how that turns out. :D :D

Now you know how the alternator feels.

Wow that is a good spirited discussion job well done gentlemen. But in todays world we relie on to much high tech gagetry to solve our problems, such as battery tenders, load testers,and many more.

First thing I would throw the load tester away useless, battery tender overpriced for what it does. I will use a simple electronic charger for half the price same results. If you have a wet battery a hydrometer does ok for this job. I f you have a gel battery as the fjr has i belive multi- tester using the volt scale is all that isequired it works the same on a wet cell battery as well.

Here is the procedure to check your battery guarantted. you know your bike requires 12 volts to turn it over so that is the least amount of voltage you need anything above that is better. Your battery holds 13.5-14 when new and as time goes by the battery losses its ability to keep and hold that voltage.

postive and

So all you need to do is hookyour meter to a negativeterminals on the battery read your voltage lets say 12.9 volts. Now crank over your bike read what the voltage if it reads12 volts battery is good, if it reads below 12 lets say 11.5 battery is telling you it is time for it to be replaced. If it reads 7 or volts battery is toast. I know some one will try to pick this apart , but there is no other way to check and be postive that you have a bad battery. This trouble shooting technique came from an ellectrical engineer teaching a college class That i had in school. It has never failed yet for solving battery problems, but the battery load tester has.

As for jumping your bike even with the key off with that much amperage being applied it is possible for the electricity to jump accross those contacs and cause damage it may not happen the first time but eventualluy it will cause damage.

It shure is nice to be able to give different ways to solve problems .

weekend rider :clap: B) :clap:

Thanks for the info guys. A good lively discussion. I promise not to ask for advice on this board about my 78 Celica, or my Starion Turbo. I'll just email you direct. Can I get a parts discount? Wiring diagrams? :p

Howie, the dead=dead start the bike thing is an issue.  However, in the push-starting process, turning over the engine also means turning over the alternator, which generates electricity to juice up the ECM to make the EFI work.  So if it's dead-dead, it's gonna take a pretty spirited push to make things happen, but it can happen.
See, here's where my first problem starts. If my knowledge of modern electrical systems is what I remember, a generator WILL create electricity with a "spirited" push. It's a purely mechanical current creator, but an alternator requires a voltage input before it can create a voltage output.

Now as for the overworking the alternator thing, just because it has a maximum amperage output rating, doesn't mean it will be happy working at its' maximum capacity for an extended period of time.  And if the battery is in a very low state of charge, it will prompt the alternator to work extra hard to satisfy the battery's need, and the alternator will try its' hardest to satisfy that need.  So if your battery is very low, it WILL force the alternator to work to its' maximum capacity, which the alternator will comply with...it just won't like it much.  Does that answer your question??
Nah, not really. Again, if my concept of an alternator based charging system is faulty, forgive me, but if I recall, an alternator delivers maximum amperage all the time. It's just that the voltage regulator determines the load required by the battery and simply switches the output off when it's not needed. So if the battery is only slightly discharged and the voltage regulator determines a flow of current is needed, all 470 watts flows to the battery until the voltage feedback, determined by the state of charge of the battery, and measured by the voltage regulator, simply switches the alternator's output off. But it's still 470 watts, whether it's for 5 minutes, to top off the battery, or 2 hours, to completely charge an almost totally discharged battery.

Try this; lift a 75 lb weight over your head.  I'm guessing you can probably do it.  Now try holding this weight over your head for one minute.  Let me know how that turns out.  :D   :D Now you know how the alternator feels.
I don't think anthropomorphizing here is appropriate to the situation for a couple of reasons...first, I doubt I can get 75 lbs over my head - :) - and isn't the charging output determined by engine speed, not current draw? So even if the battery is mostly toast, unless you're winding the hell out of the engine, the altnernator ain't putting out its max if your cruising down the road at 70/4,000rpm? My owner's manual says max output is 490 watts at 5000rpm, so unless you're running down the superslab in 4th gear, you're not maxing out your alternator anyway, regardless of the state of charge of the battery.

Finally, if you analyze the concept of "overworking" the alternator, are you referring to overworking it in a mechanical sense, as in the stator bearings are under a heavier load during a high demand state? Or are you speaking in an electrical sense, where the windings of the stator, the diodes, the voltage regulator internals, are only good for 490 watts, and constantly recharging a near-dead battery is running current through the components at the bleeding edge of failure due to current resistance and heat buildup?

Under either circumstance, I don't think there's additional strain. The alternator is under the same mechanical strain, rpms, whether it's charging or not. And I'd bet the failure load of the electrical components of the charging system are considerably higher than the 37 amps its capable of putting out. Having a 50 amp main fuse tells me that, so there's basically a 13 amp "cushion" if you will, between the potential failure level of the charging circuits electrical components, and it's actual output capabilities. That's a 172 watt margin of error.

If anything, I'd guess a nearly dead battery is less demanding to the charging system than a fully charged one, since in a fully charged scenario, the mechanical components of the voltage regulator are constantly switching on-off-on-off-on-off as the battery goes from completely charged to slightly discharged, whereas the mostly dead battery will cause the regulator to remain in the switched on mode for a much longer period of time in order to charge the battery, thereby creating less mechanical wear and tear for the same given period of time the engine is running. Finally, if the switching is done electronically, through a transistor/diode pack, there isn't any mechanical wear at all, which makes any wear issue moot.

Damn this is fun. :)

Guys, Guys, Guys----1st alternators-generators? Honda calls theirs ACG or Alternating Current Generators as ours is or just alternators, if you want.

2nd ours, as well as most motorcycle alternators, put out full current all the time depending on the motor speed. The only way to very the output is to vary the speed or magnetic field strength, like a car type alternator (read Goldwing) does. Ours has permanent magnets so full current all the time depending on motor speed. When this current isn't needed by the battery or other loads (read accessories), the unneeded current is shunted to ground by the regulator in the form of heat. It’s full current all the time so you can’t overload the alternator, as it’s fully loaded all the time. Now you can overload one of the wires & that’s what the fuses are for but that’s only if there is enough current left over from all users of current so the wire will have enough current going thru it to overload the wire. Too much load from lights, accessories, etc will just result in lower system volts (read drained battery), but the alternator just keeps putting out full load & the regulator likes it because it isn’t having dump as much load to ground which means less heat & longer regulator life. Motorcycles ridden lots have more regulator burnouts than seldom ridden cycles cause their batteries are fully charged & their regulators are constantly having to dump current, forming heat. Having a low battery is easier on the system cause more of the current is used to recharge the battery along with running the other loads.

3rd If you don’t like my avatar, I’ve just got 2 words for you-Read My Lips

Later, De

How much does the quiz count toward my final grade? I am a veteran rider do I get extra points say 5 since i am a veteran rider? If i miss the test can I make up the quiz? Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:D :clap: :haha: weekend rider

While all the conversation about the alternators is good, I'd contend, based on personal experience, that trying to start with a battery that's nearly flat will likely cause the electronic control to give too rich a mixture to the bike thereby flooding it out. When that happens you might as well plan on a charge and a sparkplug change.

Jim

Guys, Guys, Guys----1st alternators-generators? Honda calls theirs ACG or Alternating Current Generators as ours is or just alternators, if you want.
2nd ours, as well as most motorcycle alternators, put out full current all the time depending on the motor speed. The only way to very the output is to vary the speed or magnetic field strength, like a car type alternator (read Goldwing) does. Ours has permanent magnets so full current all the time depending on motor speed. When this current isn't needed by the battery or other loads (read accessories), the unneeded current is shunted to ground by the regulator in the form of heat. It’s full current all the time so you can’t overload the alternator, as it’s fully loaded all the time. Now you can overload one of the wires & that’s what the fuses are for but that’s only if there is enough current left over from all users of current so the wire will have enough current going thru it to overload the wire. Too much load from lights, accessories, etc will just result in lower system volts (read drained battery), but the alternator just keeps putting out full load & the regulator likes it because it isn’t having dump as much load to ground which means less heat & longer regulator life. Motorcycles ridden lots have more regulator burnouts than seldom ridden cycles cause their batteries are fully charged & their regulators are constantly having to dump current, forming heat. Having a low battery is easier on the system cause more of the current is used to recharge the battery along with running the other loads.

3rd If you don’t like my avatar, I’ve just got 2 words for you-Read My Lips

Later, De
Give this man a cigar! We have a winner!!!!!!!!!

This is the correct theory of the charging system. While the other threads do contain mostly accurate information this one is the most correct in explanining how the charging sytem works. It is full blast all the time with excess being routed to ground causing heat in the RR. You can jump start your bike off of a freaking bulldozer, IF, hooked up correctly and you do not let any wires short or touch. The bike will only use what it needs. To illustrate: A bulldozer has 6 big batteries with enough amperage to weld 1/2 plate steel right? But inside the oil presure gauge is a tiny little bulb for light. Doesn't blow up the bulb does it? Because the bulb only draws what it needs, just like an FJR. But true, computers can be smoked by sparking wires. Not common but possible.

That's my$.02 FWIW ;)

Wow...I believe this

Having a low battery is easier on the system cause more of the current is used to recharge the battery along with running the other loads.
is pretty much what I said here
If anything, I'd guess a nearly dead battery is less demanding to the charging system than a fully charged one
yet no one offered me no damn cigar. :angry:
CLICK ME!!

I keep my bikes on a battery tender if I'm going to be off the bike for a while, you can bring your battery up overnight if not completely dead. Those of you in the fridged north I hear take out the battery and connect it to a tender it will keep it maintained.Am I right or wrong Repairman ;)

rogerfjrfaster :D

PS I'm out rideing, rode up Pacific Coast Hiway on Wensday with the group after breakfast. :D