Dealer Disassembled Now Unable to Reassemble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cusp Man

Reaction score
Two months ago my '06 AE was dropped during an encounter with the side of a pickup truck. Both sides of the bike had cosmetic maladies but it ran just fine. Rode it to my dealer where the Progressive agent had authorized repair. During the inspection it was noticed that the frame had some damage and it was decided to replace it. Perhaps this was an attempt to be sure the bike was safe, but I noticed absolutely no difference in the ride or handling after the accident. Obviously a major disassembly was required to install a new frame, but they are unable to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again! The story I keep getting is that the electronics are difficult to put back together. The last time I contacted the dealership they told me they are unable to get the electronic shift to operate. They contacted Yamaha and were "given some ideas to try." Still no-go and no bike. I finally stopped contacting the dealer and am now planning to work this through via the insurance agent (who was most friendly & cooperative following the incident.) At this stage of things I'd prefer the bike be declared totaled. The longer I go w/o riding (& I hadn't had it terribly long to begin with) the longer it will be to reacquire my skill level while riding. Also, there might be the nagging anxiety about the safety after realizing the struggle to get it working. I recall the ol' tale about a wrecked car never being the same afterwards, even following repairs and wonder if this will be the case with the bike. Bottom line-- have any of you experienced anything remotely like this. If so, what proved to be the best course of action to follow. I feel I'm waiting for Godot & the chap just isn't showin' up!

The name "Godot" is pronounced in Britain and Ireland with the emphasis on the first syllable (i.e. /'gɒ.dəʊ/); in North America it is usually pronounced with an emphasis on the second syllable (i.e. /gə'doʊ/).

If you actually get the scoot back.....don't ever bring it back to them.....

I'd go with the insurance company and as a customer point out you've been without a ride for entirely too long and they need to get you a replacement ASAP. The fact the experts can't put a rebuild back together should be of concern as to whether it can be rebuilt and shouldn't have been totalled to begin with.

....However, that's my naieve perception of what I think should be right given the limited information. I'm sure the modern insurance world has a very different opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
but they are unable to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again!

I don't think Wal-Mart is very good with motorcycles. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Bring it up to me and I'll do it, I did my own. 18hrs of easy breezy :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

With respect,

Mattster

"The electronics" just plug and unplug from one another. All the plugs are keyed and nothing should be able to be crosswired or mis-fitted. There's some BS going on at the dealer level.

Tell your ins agent you want a new FJR. Investigate your legal options in FL with regard to "lemon laws" and the requirements of a shop to complete their written obligations. Most states have limits.

I think the shop in question here is the one resposible for delivering you a bike. Sheesh, there were time estimates given for the repairs. I realize these are estimates, but there has to be some legal limitation on the time taken to complete the repairs.

The old adage about a wrecked (anything) never being the same has nothing to do with the wrecked vehicle and everything to do with the competence of the technicians repairing said vehicle. In this case, your bike may never be the same.

I, sadly, experienced a frame replacement around 23,000 miles. Same deal, truck pulled out and t-boned me, causeing a small amount of damage to a very import area of the frame, and it had to be swapped.

Bike is fine now, and has been for a few years. I didn't have the AE aspect to deal with though. The frame replacement for my bike was a book job of 13 hours, dealer said it took them only 11. (I had already removed all plastic and external bits to save $)

Of course every incident is different, but with the circumstances surrounding my bike, and the damage involved, I was perfectly comfortable with the frame replacement option. I knew there was no other damage to the bike's geometry, and the damaged area had no direct impact on other parts. I was very lucky with respect to the exact placement of the impact, if you will.

Anyway, I wouldn't throw a good bike to the curb just because one dealer can't do the work properly, or missed a broken part in the system somewhere (same difference).

Speaking from experience, be sure that the old VIN number has been properly stamped onto the NEW frame (which comes with a blank VIN) BEFORE you leave the shop with the bike. I found out the hard way that a blank VIN panel could be construed as "obscuring the identity of a vehicle" in some states, and is an impoundable offense. Also get the old damaged frame back and find a place to store it just in case there is ever a question.

How long has the dealer had the bike in total? How long have you been waiting on the AE problem only?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps your Insurance company can persuade the repair facility to outsource the repair to someone with more experience. (And/or more importantly, set a firm repair timeframe for completion of repairs; I don't think you are going to get them to 'total' it.)

I think bottom line is that the shop that has your bike doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

If you've been without a ride for over thirty days you should be raising hell.

If it was me I wouldn't be communicating with the dealer at all.

My communication would be with corp. headquarters in Cypress Ca.

And explain to them that you're so pissed that you're going to all LD forums and are posting your problems for a public service to all future customers of their bike.

If you can't get the insurance to total it,you should ask Moma Yami to replace it for customer relations.

The time to be nice and passive is over brother,go for their throats so they understand your dissatisfaction.

Sorry for the rant but they understand a riled up customer. Good luck and keep us posted.

I, sadly, experienced a frame replacement around 23,000 miles. Same deal, truck pulled out and t-boned me, causeing a small amount of damage to a very import area of the frame, and it had to be swapped.
What did you do about the frame serial number and registration?

Covered in my old post

Speaking from experience, be sure that the old VIN number has been properly stamped onto the NEW frame (which comes with a blank VIN) BEFORE you leave the shop with the bike. I found out the hard way that a blank VIN panel could be construed as "obscuring the identity of a vehicle" in some states, and is an impoundable offense. Also get the old damaged frame back and find a place to store it just in case there is ever a question.
The new frame should come with NO vin number. The VIN number from the old frame is supposed to be stamped onto the new frame by the dealer, and then the vin destroyed on the old frame.

My dealer neglected to do this. I was told "that's how they come." Caused a fiasco a little time later, but that's why I saved the original frame, and recommend doing the same.

I would also mention you need this done to the dealer BEFORE the bike is fully assembled, just in case they didn't plan to do it.

The mystic powers of the FJR Forum cannot be kept secret any longer but must be unveiled to the group at large! In less than two hours following my initial posting I received a call from the dealer saying the bike would be ready the next day. Apparently, supposedly Yamaha had sent some "upgraded part" that would make the shifting operable and perhaps better than before the accident and it had been successfully installed. (For the tech minded reader I apologize for not having a greater curiosity and acquiring any more detail.) After having had the bike in the shop for nearly two months(!) I was still dubious and refrained from a comment to this group. However, today I actually mounted the machine and suprised my 64 year ol' self by having everything moving along as if no break in riding had occured. Rode at various speeds in various locales and could find no fault with the bike. :lol: It looks & rides like new. So far... Now if only I can use the group's mystic powers to prevent any further too close encounters with left turning pickup trucks that fail to signal, then life would be all the better.

Thanks to all responders!

Mystic powers to keep you from future close encounters of the ugly kind, Say this over and over, "I am invisable, and they are out to get me". And congrats of getting back on the road....now be safe this time will ya. PM. <>< ;)