Death Valley

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I've wanted to go there for years. Made my escape this weekend, (Sat.Sun.Mon.) did 1650 miles in 3 days (almost 1300 between the first and last day, with an easy day in-between). ID, NV, CA, AZ, UT.

Had everything from light snow showers (not sticking) to 101f. Getting back home to Idaho yesterday I went from 90 degrees in Mesquite to 42 degrees at home. With each gas stop, more layers were added... There was a lot of wind going and returning, but NV was quite excellent--relatively calm and beautiful temps.

Here's a few pics:

Spot tracks--I try to hit the button about 1x / hour

DeathValleyApril2013_zps92a87d36.png

I took no pictures in NV....spent the night at Tonopah, had dinner w/RPrice and his son. Got on the road early.

DSCF1096_zps54392fa6.jpg

DSCF1098_zps02fad8de.jpg

Scotty's Castle

DSCF1100_zps3375ad6b.jpg

DSCF1103_zps53957432.jpg

I couldn't believe there was no one there--it's a National Park! It was really empty.

DSCF1105_zpsbbdf7a3e.jpg

The world's loneliest picnic....

DSCF1113_zps1f44e7ad.jpg

Having all my winter gear and getting into the high 80's, I bungee'd the gear to the bike and it was time to stroll through the park au naturale....why not?

DSCF1115_zpseee5aaad.jpg

Gas at Furnace Creek

DSCF1121_zpscc1b4da5.jpg

The world's loneliest FJR

DSCF1130_zps904ae872.jpg

DSCF1134_zps42a0a0bf.jpg

On Artist Pallette Drive:

DSCF1137_zpseeb711fa.jpg

Badwater Basin, the sign I've always wanted to see:

DSCF1142_zps1a309cd4.jpg

It was one of the few places with any people

DSCF1143_zps20a3f6be.jpg

DSCF1144_zpsf943b934.jpg

Then I rode to Vegas, and there are no photos of that...

Then I hauled I-15 back home the next day.

The end.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Errrr .... :eek: ...... :!

Otherwise a very nice ride report...haven't been to DV in a while...not much has changed I see... :-D

Spud, What a nice ride report with pictures, you might consider an "a" cup for protection!FWFE
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I'm not as tough as Spud, I took two days to get to NV and two days to return home to Salmon, ID!! It was also my experience that the weather was good in NV, but not so good upon return to Idaho!!

Great report, Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice RR Spud -- thanks for sharing.
smile.png
... Lonely place for sure, even when it's "packed". Artist Palette drive's a cool one huh? Been to DV a few times and never had a problem with crowds
no.gif

I missed it, then went back and looked, knowing I shouldn't, and was sorry I did, like I knew I'd be.