decel popping with PCIII on 06-AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A.I R. valve. That mess of air hoses and solenoid that feeds fresh air into the exhaust stream. The PCIII has richened the mix to the point where the mix is burning off in the hot exhaust, aided by the air injection. Not harmful, unless excessive.

Sorry about that....

I recently installed a PCIII on my 2006-AE and am very happy with the improved power response and smoother overall operation throughout the power band. I was actually looking to cure to a decel popping problem which started after I installed 2Bros slip-ons. I've tried calling Dynojet and 2Bros, both have said that decel popping is an indication of a lean 0% throttle condition and is pretty common but not detrimental. In the absense of a specific map; I plan on populating 0% throttle cells on the 2800-3200rpm range as an experiment. I was directed to plug the "pare valve" which, I was told is an emission control device which recirculates cylinder head gases back into the air stream. Anyone have experience with this scenario or know how to identify this so-called "pare-valve"

Sorry about that....
I recently installed a PCIII on my 2006-AE and am very happy with the improved power response and smoother overall operation throughout the power band. I was actually looking to cure to a decel popping problem which started after I installed 2Bros slip-ons. I've tried calling Dynojet and 2Bros, both have said that decel popping is an indication of a lean 0% throttle condition and is pretty common but not detrimental. In the absense of a specific map; I plan on populating 0% throttle cells on the 2800-3200rpm range as an experiment. I was directed to plug the "pare valve" which, I was told is an emission control device which recirculates cylinder head gases back into the air stream. Anyone have experience with this scenario or know how to identify this so-called "pare-valve"
Nope, but I and others had exactly the same situation with PCIII and a set of Holeshots on our 04's. The thread was on the "other" FJR site, and was entitled, "Holeshot Pops". The experience at that time seemed to be more prevalent when the bike was cold. After warming, it seemed to clear up. Anyway, the consensus was that it was considered fairly normal for that type of set-up and not to worry about it.

I was directed to plug the "pare valve" which, I was told is an emission control device which recirculates cylinder head gases back into the air stream. Anyone have experience with this scenario or know how to identify this so-called "pare-valve"
LOL!!! That's what happens when you have non-English speaking telephone help. [some Americans don fpeak english 2 much gooder also, too.]
Rad nailed it.

A.I R. valve. That mess of air hoses and solenoid that feeds fresh air into the exhaust stream. The PCIII has richened the mix to the point where the mix is burning off in the hot exhaust, aided by the air injection. Not harmful, unless excessive.
The A.I.R. valve is under the gas tank. The FSM is clear where the valve is located and where the connector for the solenoid lives. Then again, you can go to the Yamaha web site and click on the Parts tab and look it up in the Fiche.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried calling Dynojet and 2Bros, both have said that decel popping is an indication of a lean 0% throttle condition and is pretty common but not detrimental. In the absense of a specific map; I plan on populating 0% throttle cells on the 2800-3200rpm range as an experiment.
Just making a point to note...

Decel popping can be caused by either too rich or too lean a low throttle setting. Just like Rad said, richened mixture combined with fresh air from the air valve can ignite the mixture. Having a low end throttle mixture that is rich can also induce the popping, even with the air valve shut down.

A low end that is too lean and results in popping, typically sounds more like an explosion than a pop. The (lean) popping typically occurs less frequently (per second) than the rich condition.

Just be aware that there are differences in the way lean vs. rich typically sounds and don't automatically assume that richening the low end will eliminate the popping.

Of course, I'm speaking in general terms. Rad and others have vast more experience with FJR specifics than I do.

So what the hell did I type all this for???

I dunno!

When I had my full system by Holeshots installed by Dale and his mechanic, Dale put my bike on his wrenches dyno on his nickel. The mechanic capped off this air induction before he made the custom map. The FJR has never ran so good. No popping ever on decel. The only minus to the full system and PCIII is at times, usually because of the right wrist, the gas mileage is less than stock but only by about 10 per cent.

Removing the AIR system will eliminate the popping on decel as well as reduce some of the "heat". The AIR inducted into the exhaust ports will create more heat in the exhaust head pipes and the cat. Eliminating the supplemental air source will reduce the heat off the head pipes and from the cat slightly.

Removing the AIR system will eliminate the popping on decel as well as reduce some of the "heat". The AIR inducted into the exhaust ports will create more heat in the exhaust head pipes and the cat. Eliminating the supplemental air source will reduce the heat off the head pipes and from the cat slightly.

I haven't heard of removing the AIR system on the FJR, is this common? I haven't had time to really dig in, working on everyone's bike but my own, but I have pulled the AIR system off of a carburated FZ-1 and installed the Ivan kit in the carbs for a client. The FZ was like a different machine afterwards, in hindsight I should have done the jets first to quantify what removing the AIR system added.

We're talking the carb v. FI system, but in looking at the FJR service manual it appears very similar. I'm starting to wonder if the AIR kit can be completley pulled off the FJR and tuned via PCIII for some substantial positives.

PTP