Decent mileage figures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tslapper

Reaction score
Funny, I'm always the guy pointing at my gas tank half way through a ride. :glare: Heavy rider at 225 geared up... even heavier throttle hand.

I am fortunate enough to have installed a full Holeshot system on my 03. Yeah, ratty old girl needed some love and she got it. So I installed Dales map and loved it but my mileage was around 30 on an extended ride around the plains of Montana a month back. I think the term I've seen used in reference to velocity is "FJR nominal". That's describes me and the bike perfectly while out in the hinter lands.

So now I want mileage. I installed Wally's smoothness map a couple days ago. I'm not real big on how the bike runs, it's fine, just lost it edginess since the full pipes went on. Butt dyno say's its down on power but that's probably because it's smooth now. Last night I filled up and rode a 100.2 mile loop that took me back to the same gas pump. I calculated 36 mpg and I did the loop in 1 hour 9 minutes.

Me thinks I'll keep the map and learn to live with the ride.

Might be a reach but is anybody else riding with this set up and getting the same kind of results? Have you had your bike dyno'd with air fuel tests?

<snip>....the term I've seen used in reference to velocity is "FJR nominal". That's describes me and the bike perfectly while out in the hinter lands. Last night I filled up and rode a 100.2 mile loop that took me back to the same gas pump. I calculated 36 mpg and I did the loop in 1 hour 9 minutes.
I'm no expert on such things (mpg v/s speed, etc.) -- but, that seems damned good to me?

36 mpg is nothing to brag about; but at an avg. speed of 90+ -- now, that's sumpthin'.....(I think?) :unsure:

100.2 miles in just over an hour!!!! what the hell where you thinkin? I used to ride with a guy like you,( pointing at he tank halfway or running out of gas) fortunately he moved away. As far as the mileage is concerned it sounds OK to me. I wont mention i got an average of 45 MPG out of my VFR last weekend at veefer nominal velocity. Stop riding like such a tool and it will be OK. :p :p

100.2 miles in just over an hour!!!! what the hell where you thinkin? I used to ride with a guy like you,( pointing at he tank halfway or running out of gas) fortunately he moved away. As far as the mileage is concerned it sounds OK to me. I wont mention i got an average of 45 MPG out of my VFR last weekend at veefer nominal velocity. Stop riding like such a tool and it will be OK. :p :p
But you don't understand..... It's calming somehow. B)

BTW - you slumming or what?

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

I got a 'slightly' used FJR if you're in the market?? That black 08 FJR down that street is calling me and I need a deposit.

:assassin:

Just surfin'. Theres a black one at woodys that gets me stemed up a bit as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
45 mpg eh.

No wonder I kept passing you :eek:

and you've never run out of gas? What's the miles to kilo conversion?

Who's this pud slapper dude anyway? :blink:

I just finished my ss/bb and with a passenger got only 33 mpg. I was a little dissapointed because I read about all these fjr owners that are getting 45. I did run 75-80 most of the way but still, I was hoping for 40 or so.

45 mpg eh.

No wonder I kept passing you :eek:

and you've never run out of gas? What's the miles to kilo conversion?

Who's this pud slapper dude anyway? :blink:
Chris W. ? Do I know you? I think you need to re read the topic. We are discussing mileage here, not who did what where. As far as the insulting play on Mr. Slappers username I have a good mind to report you to the mods.

By the way, you look like your drunk, homeless, and smell funny in you avatar....

My thread says "moved". Sorry mods, I can be a bull in a china shop at times. Whitmore, is that you? Heatmaker's right, your avatar does make you look homeless.

I might be able to hang with you guys now. Look at the freekin mileage. I can't do that on the ZX12R!

anyway, looks like this thread went to hell in a hand basket. I can't have nothing. Maybe next time I'll try doing near the speed limit and come up with 45 mpg.

oh, and it's Mr. Pud Slapper to you Whitmore.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thread says "moved". Sorry mods, I can be a bull in a china shop at times. Whitmore, is that you? Heatmaker's right, your avatar does make you look homeless.
I might be able to hang with you guys now. Look at the freekin mileage. I can't do that on the ZX12R!

anyway, looks like this thread went to hell in a hand basket. I can't have nothing. Maybe next time I'll try doing near the speed limit and come up with 45 mpg.

Well lets face it Mr. Pud Slapper, your never gonna win a mileage contest.

I hear you might need some help transporting some bikes x-country. Where do I sign up?

By the way, you look like your drunk, homeless, and smell funny in you avatar....
Heatmaker, if that's your real name... I sure felt impaired, I did smell funny, and at the time, that was my home.

When you gonna trade up? Everyone otta have an FJR! ;)

Well lets face it Mr. Pud Slapper, your never gonna win a mileage contest.

I hear you might need some help transporting some bikes x-country. Where do I sign up?

Bikes are going in the trailer and in the bed of the truck. I do have a nice little Dakota that could use a driver. Believe me, there's not going to be much fun there.

I'm getting around 48.5MPG, two up at 85MPH average. At 5500 feet elevation and higher. I'm really happy with that, :clapping:

I'm getting around 48.5MPG, two up at 85MPH average. At 5500 feet elevation and higher. I'm really happy with that, :clapping:
I would be too. That's impressive. What are you running for an exhaust?

I've never been known to get good mileage so my figures from the test run are pretty good with me. I'm heading out on a 3500 mile trip on the FJR in a couple weeks and I'm going to be in Nevada for a bunch of it. Relying on 36mpg out there is good with me. Will be riding up the coast of California into Washington and then back across to Helena. I'll see what I can do to get my numbers into the 40's. I should be able to.

Drive the speed limit and you will probably surpass it, T......or is it P.....I'm confuzzled.

Anyone notice that the feejer gets better mileage at elevation? Last summer did 6500 miles, half in CO at 4-12,000 feet and got as high as 51 mpg :yahoo: (one up, stock exh, Bavarian on 07) but best mileage seemed to be the higher I went. Of course had to deal with the stumble problem on that trip but since have got the new CPU. Mileage at sea level is typically 38-42. Speed is typically 75-80.

I just finished my ss/bb and with a passenger got only 33 mpg. I was a little dissapointed because I read about all these fjr owners that are getting 45. I did run 75-80 most of the way but still, I was hoping for 40 or so.
Last weekend, I rode to Pa and back. Logged 900 miles and averaged 47 mpg. According to my GPS, my moving average was 65mph.