Defective Wix oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliveforcurves

Reaction score
I recently got back from a 6,250 mile 2 week vacation & needed to change my oil & filter. The auto parts store didn't have any Bosch filters like I've been using so they sold me a Wix. I changed the oil & filter & started the bike. A few seconds later I see oil running down from the oil filter seal. It seems the threads on the filter stopped before the seal made good contact with the motor. Needless to say I won't be buying any more Wix oil filters.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is why I use nothing but K&N. Maybe pricey, but knowing they actually fit and are made for my bike, it's worth it.

And this is why I use nothing but K&N. Maybe pricey, but knowing they actually fit and are made for my bike, it's worth it.
Not sure what you're payin' for those K&N's, but you can get Yamaha filters here for $8. I generally just order 5 at a time and have some on the shelf when I need 'em.

I recently got back from a 6,250 mile 2 week vacation & needed to change my oil & filter. The auto parts store didn't have any Bosch filters like I've been using so they sold me a Wix. I changed the oil & filter & started the bike. A few seconds later I see oil running down from the oil filter seal. It seems the threads on the filter stopped before the seal made good contact with the motor. Needless to say I won't be buying any more Wix oil filters.

That sux...... another great filter like Bosch (IMO) is the Mobil 1..... If they dont have your Bosch grab one of these... M1-108 (short) M1-110 (long)... I run the long on all my metric bikes..... $9-$10 everywhere.

I run the Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.

Rated the top filter by the Society of Engineers.

I changed the oil & filter & started the bike. A few seconds later I see oil running down from the oil filter seal.
Saturday I printed the "Oil Filter Info" and took it to my my local Car Quest guy. He didn't have any of the filters on the list, so he sold me a Car Quest 85356 (made by WIX filters). When I installed it, it didn't feel like the rubber gasket was making contact, so I spun it off and compared it to the Yamaha filter I was replacing. The recess in the Yamaha filter is much deeper.

That's what you get when you stray from filters listed in the Bin-O-Facts. In fact, Rickster included a warning from ponyfool about WIX filters. The warning is right there in the Oil Filter Info section of the Bin-O-Facts.

I went to AutoZone and bought a Mobil-1 M1-110. Problem solved.

The Car Quest guy agreed to let me return the filter they sold me even though I filled it half full of oil when I was installing it. I thought that was pretty decent of 'em.

I changed the oil & filter & started the bike. A few seconds later I see oil running down from the oil filter seal.
Saturday I printed the "Oil Filter Info" and took it to my my local Car Quest guy. He didn't have any of the filters on the list, so he sold me a Car Quest 85356 (made by WIX filters). When I installed it, it didn't feel like the rubber gasket was making contact, so I spun it off and compared it to the Yamaha filter I was replacing. The recess in the Yamaha filter is much deeper.

That's what you get when you stray from filters listed in the Bin-O-Facts. In fact, Rickster included a warning from ponyfool about WIX filters. The warning is right there in the Oil Filter Info section of the Bin-O-Facts.

I went to AutoZone and bought a Mobil-1 M1-110. Problem solved.

The Car Quest guy agreed to let me return the filter they sold me even though I filled it half full of oil when I was installing it. I thought that was pretty decent of 'em.
You beat me to it, note:

From the Bin-O-Facts...

Per ponyfool, although the Purolator number cross-references to Napa Gold 1365 (mfg: Wix), the gasket and the threads are nearly level with one another, thus when screwed on as far as it would go, the gasket never touched the engine, it stayed out about 1/16".