Demo'd BMW's new GT & RT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeBound

Reaction score
I've not been a BMW fan. Had an '01 RT and was the only bike that I just couldn't get along with. I've also not liked BMW prices and gimmicky engineering (eg. power-assist brakes, power centerstand, etc). Something Yamaha has unfortunately delved into lately IMO (eg. no clutch). Lately though with the reviews of the new RTs, GSs and now GTs, I figure BMW to be worth another look. Plus, when you want a sport-tourer with an upright riding position, your choices are few.

Got about a 1/2 hour on each, some freeway, some curves. Anyway, the GT was very smooth when on the gas and hellaciously strong - much smoother than the FJR and by seat of the pants judgement, faster/torquier too. But strangely, decel & steady throttle, something is sorta weird, not nearly as smooth as when on the gas. Probably some EFI issue. I had an oh-$$^& moment though when accelerating on the freeway to 85-90, then quickly deceling - I was in a tank-slapper type situation. If you've never experienced a tank-slapper count yourself lucky. Simply put they SUCK. Talk about butt-pucker. Weird, but it was repeated again & I said no thanks. I don't know if it was the freeway rain grooves, a low front tire, ESA set at "comfort" or just the bike. Perhaps the mag reviews will be able to expand further, but a tank-slapper when all your doing is deceling from a mostly reasonable speed is a deal breaker IMO. Next.

I'm an inline 4 guy so the RT ride was only for amusement, but long story short, I thoroughly enjoyed my ride on this bike. I didn't want to get off it. Smoother than the FJR at freeway speeds and more nimble handling. No where near the power of the FJR but fast enough. Not to mention my opinion of worthwhile sport-tour engineering like cruise-control, heated grips & seats, braided-lines. In other words, all the stuff I had to find and install in the after-market for the FJR was completely integrated on the RT. And a topcase that simply pops on or off. No adapter baloney that stays with the bike when the topcase is off.

Will I convert? That is another question. The price is still very high and I still love my FJR. I'd probably have to rent an RT for a day or two before plunking down that kind of money. If it were closer in price to the FJR & ST1300, it'd be in my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about braking? I had test ridden a K1200LT once and nailed the brakes at highway speeds. I was impressed with the bikes utter refusal to nose-dive.

What about braking? I had test ridden a K1200LT once and nailed the brakes at highway speeds. I was impressed with the bikes utter refusal to nose-dive.
Power-assisted brakes are stupid IMO. What a waste. My FJR's are lighter effort, stronger, far more linear and overall feel is exceptional (w/braided lines). Both BMWs are sort of "wooden" but work well enough I suppose. The power-assist noisey operation is also annoying. As far as nose-dive or lack thereof, is not something I noticed either way.

Well, I should have stated that differently. I was impressed with the suspension while braking. And of course, compared to what I was riding at the time, the brakes impressed me as well. (compared to what I was riding at the time, Fred Flinstone's brakes impressed me also)

I think the RT handles well and is eager to lean into the turn. I had a ball test riding it. The brakes and the slow speed throttle jerkiness steared me away from it. It's been awhile since I rode the BMW, but my impression was that the RT and FJR were about equal in ease into the turn and tracking. Now that I have Wilbers, I think the scale would tilt heavily toward the FJR.

I loved the smoothness of the power on the old K1200GT. The dang thing just hated to lean over though! Did you notice that with the new one?

Before you jump to the RT..check out the maintenance schedule...every 6K.....you have to adjust the valves....when my shocks went out on my 05 RT(22K miles)they said they are a usable item and not covered by waranty.....$4000 for replacements....RT's are a little like Harley's...over priced and underpowered....to pass a car in the twisty's you'll have to drop two gears to be safe....and you better be close to 6 feet tall or forget it......as far as smoother than the FJR at highway speeds...I thinks it just a different kind of vibration...but it's there....

The best part about BMW's is the people...I haven't met any of you yet but I have met over 100 people of the BMWST site and I would call all of them my friends....check it out sometime...FJR owners are welcome....

Whip

Did you notice that with the new one?
I think it handled fine. Unfortunately when I got to the curves I was still a little frazzled by the bucking bronco ride so that's as detailed as I can get. I'd have to ride it again an evaluate further but right now I have no desire!

Before you jump to the RT..check out the maintenance schedule...every 6K.....you have to adjust the valves....when my shocks went out on my 05 RT(22K miles)they said they are a usable item and not covered by waranty.....$4000 for replacements....RT's are a little like Harley's...over priced and underpowered....to pass a car in the twisty's you'll have to drop two gears to be safe....and you better be close to 6 feet tall or forget it......as far as smoother than the FJR at highway speeds...I thinks it just a different kind of vibration...but it's there....
Yep. I agree. All items I doubt I can overcome. Vibration-wise the main thing I noticed was my right hand didn't go to sleep 5 miles down the freeway like it does on the FJR. All in all I doubt my money will be on an RT. Though I respect BMW much more now that I've ridden it.

Actually, my impetus for considering other bikes is the fact that the FJR handles so well and is so powerful it allows me to make bonehead moves on occasion because I can. Nothing as pronounced as the way a pure sportbike lures me, but unacceptable for a father of 3 youngins. A GoldWing is on the list if that tells you anything! I actually went down to Harley to see the Electra Glide...and if you knew me you be laughing your butt off with that statement! I'm a true bike addict so thinking of purchasing an "under-performing," "over-priced" bike is sacrilegious! Eeeeeek. Hey, isn't the new '06 FJR slower? Maybe that's the ticket ;)

A GoldWing is on the list if that tells you anything!
I've talked with quite a few people lately that have "Goldwing" on a list in their mind. They acquit temselves nicely in the curves (not as nimble, but they handle quite well, thank you) and they're all-day comfortable..and that lump of a motor puts down some power.

Personally, I'd be afraid to rent one for a weekend because I might like it. :dribble:

A GoldWing is on the list if that tells you anything!
I've talked with quite a few people lately that have "Goldwing" on a list in their mind. They acquit temselves nicely in the curves (not as nimble, but they handle quite well, thank you) and they're all-day comfortable..and that lump of a motor puts down some power.

Personally, I'd be afraid to rent one for a weekend because I might like it. :dribble:
MM2...there is no shame in it,... a lot of people on this forum have had or do have goldwings....I'll even fes up to owning two....there I said it....I feel better now :) ...(I can't believe I admitted that) :blink:

Hello, my name is Scab. I own a Goldwing.

That's step one, right?

Eh, not so true on the all day comfort thing, Mikey. I could stand my Wing for about a tankful, then I had to dismount for a minimum of 30 minutes. Most I ever rode in a day was 600 miles. Pain lasted for a week after that trip.

As far as the twisty part... That thing did indeed handle well. I was noticeably faster on the Wing than on the VFR.

And what would you need a Wing for anyway? Shopping for a pillion?! :lol:

And what would you need a Wing for anyway? Shopping for a pillion?! :lol:
Uhmmmm, politely.....No (Uh-uh; zilch; nyet; no-way-Jose; fugeddaboudit, nada; zip, nope, BTDT--changed my name to "Dunne")! :glare:

Just thinking about "tick" elimination. One must always seek alternatives, but, dang I'd miss this bike.....and the people who ride them.

Hello, my name is Scab. I own a Goldwing.
:lol2:

Ok...then I'll fess up to...I had an '01 Wing and prior to that a '98!!!! Of course many others too, including an '03 and now '04 FJR.

Geeeeezzz. Just got off the phone with several dealers....

for an '06 FJR!! B)

Something's getting purchased. Just don't know what. :lol:

[ decel & steady throttle, something is sorta weird, not nearly as smooth as when on the gas. Probably some EFI issue. I had an oh-$$^& moment though when accelerating on the freeway to 85-90, then quickly deceling - I was in a tank-slapper type situation. Not to mention my opinion of worthwhile sport-tour engineering like cruise-control, heated grips & seats, braided-lines. In other words, all the stuff I had to find and install in the after-market for the FJR was completely integrated on the RT. And a topcase that simply pops on or off. No adapter baloney that stays with the bike when the topcase is off.

I got the new KGT '06 just three weeks ago and adored it!

Servo-brakes are fine for me - absolutely natural, the bike just slows down where and how I want; do not feel like the tank-slapping as above, it's like you slightly engage the front brake from 30-40 mph. But this is normal IMHO- to close the throttle on a bike on high speed means equal to apply the brakes. The bike is not the same smooth on low speed( below 1800 rpm) on the first gear but I believe all BMW are the same. And not only BMW - my FZ6N behaves the same : you have to play with the clutch. I do hardly believe that it's a correct comparison of FJR and RT, they are just different bikes. But FJR and new KGT are the closest rivals. And I choose BMW because of its factory pre-installed( meant tested and pre-calculated) options, the 6th gear, ergo , refinement and the feeling of "my bike". :)

I just test rode a 06 GoldWing a guy that works for me has. BIG disappointment! I just couldn't get comfortable. Too close to the tank and he added a backrest which made it worse. In comparison to the Road Glide I rented last week, I'd take the down on power Road Glide. was much more comfy to me. I have yet to ride a Yamaha Venture and an 06 R1200RT. The only BMW dealer near here went belly up last fall. Nearest one is about 50 miles away now, so haven't had the chance to get out there.

I was in Baton Rouge yesterday--long story--anyway I had the whole day to waist so I dropped by Hebert Cycle the BMW dealer. No K1200GT's to be found, he ordered 3 and they sold out before they arrived and he does not know of anyone in the southeast who has one in stock to test ride. Anyway, I did not take my helmet and gear so I could not test ride, but he did offer the 06 RT. I cranked it and sat on it and he showed me all the neat little gadgets. I will admit, the electronic suspension sontrol was really cool--so long as it works. Just a touch of button and you can control on the fly and adjust for various riding conditions, for long straight slabs or for twisties, for one up or two up or one up and luggage. He advises me that the servo breaks are much inproved over the 04 model which I last rode, much easier in parkinglot situations to control, he alleges the snatch effect is eliminated. I have always liked their teleleveler suspension better than anything else I have ever ridden, just my opinion and we all know about those :glare: I just happen to like the feel. Anyway, my next trip down that way I plan to take my gear and give that RT a test ride, I could see myself on that bike someday--maybe

Adjusting the valves on my R1150RS takes almost two cups of coffee. Scandelous I say...

Gettin into this a little late...but I have an 05 K1200LT "loaded" which I absolutely love. It is really an ST1300 on steroids...handles great (Wilbers) and is comfortable as all getout. I usually use it for two up riding out west.

Strangely my FJR is for solo riding...I absolutley love it and it would be the "last bike" in my stable if i started paring down.

I rode my buddies' wing for a weekend before deciding on the LT....its a great bike but LT was just sportier to me and a better handler. I did test the RT before I bought a Honda ST 1300 and then the FJR....none of those other bikes lit my fire like the FJR. Now if I just had one lighter sportbike to add to the mix....hmmm. :)

Ride Safe,

Ron