Denali DM LED driving lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good visibility:

I add my vote for the lower fork mounting to make the bike more visible. A couple of years ago I rode with Patriot and when he was behind me I was astonished at how well I could see him and how easily I could judge the distance to him.

I believe the term is "The Triangle of Light" and it makes for great daytime visibility. That separation between the headlights and the LEDs on the forks really works.

Better visibility

DSC_4454a_1.jpg

Outstanding visibility

2012-05-26MendocinoFJR040.jpg

JMHO, I agree with Twigg, and I especially think higher mounted lights are important in city driving and for drivers locating you in the rearview mirrors.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the obvious solution is to have a set high and have a set low, as the trail bike does. That's the way mine looks too, although I run amber lens low during the day. I want my bike to be so bright and conspicuous that when the driver who pulled out and killed me testifies at the inquest that she never saw me, the whole place erupts in uncontrollable laughter.

I do believe that it is not legal to have more than 4 sources of light shining forward at one time. I could be wrong about that but it is worth thinking about.

I do believe that it is not legal to have more than 4 sources of light shining forward at one time. I could be wrong about that but it is worth thinking about.
This is true in some jurisdictions. I have never heard of a ticket being issued, but it's worth knowing.

Personally, I'd put safety above the cost of a ticket and those laws were really never intended to prevent motorcyclists being visible.

ps ... Texas is one of those states.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden in 16 states and two provinces in the 10 months or so since I put on the second set of LEDs. Never been taken task by a LEO.

My first set of aux. lights I mounted were Denali D2Ds mounted using the front fender mounting bolts. I used an end mill to knock off the hex head bolt holders on the inside of the Denali mounts and used the regular round head Yamaha fender mount bolts. I aimed them to stay below the level of my low beams and angled the right side light slightly to the right of center to give me better coverage of the road shoulder. Having hit one forest rat, I don't want to hit another. I chose the D2Ds because of the dual power set up, 40% on low and when I go high beam they go up to 100%. Definite improvement in the number of cage drivers pulling out in front of me. Followed my wife down the highway and she told me they definitely grabbed her attention.

I've since added Clearwater Kristas on under mirror mounts. I run all of the lights almost all of the time. I keep the Kristas dimmed to only 20% most of the time. I've actually had police talk to me about the lights and where they can buy them!

Thanks folks for the comments. I am going to put them on the forks using the reflector brackets. Do I need to install a fuse block? The only other added power draw on the bike is a pigtail for the battery tender. Remember these Denali DM lights are constant hi beam. I expect the installation instructions will give details on the proper connections. Thanks again for your thoughts. Art
Fuse blocks are great if you plan on several additions (I'm using 5 circuits), but if you're not planning on lots of stuff, just run them off the battery through a dimmer (switched power of course).

How are you mounting these down the forks? I've tried to find a bracket for my adv monster lights, but the only ones I seem to find online are those that come with lights already (clearwaters, and others..) but don't seem to be sold individually.

Are they just being mounted using the tire fender mounting bolt? Help! :-D

-Neal