Depravation Bucket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
I finally purchased a Sliks helmet liner and mounted my gel ear seals borrowed off an old aviation headset. I also use cheap disposable foam earplugs along with this setup under my old HJC CL-14 helmet. The helmet is probably 1/2 size too large, but it is very comfortable. I don't really need the earplugs now. All windnoise is gone and I only have a deep rumble of a wind. My stero from the Starcom is crystal clear too.

I used a couple of sticky velcro tabs to attach the gel seals, and now I have almost complete silence on the bike.

For your review:

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure they are gel - they may be foam - I will try and check and edit. If your helmet is tight the thickness of the gel seals might be a problem, buyer beware. There is an added advantage in that you can use standard ear buds. The helmet's padding is pushed away from your ear thereby eliminating the pain of having normal ear buds pushed into your ear canal.

Be sure to use a helmet liner like the Sliks that does not stretch, or your pulling the helmet down will pull the seals too low.

CAUTION: The setup w/ earplugs is so quiet that I could hardly hear my Nautilus horn. Proceed with great caution as you might not hear the guy about to run you over. There is no way to carry on a converstion once this is on your head.

Thanks TWN - that is the nicest thing you ever said to me - I feel sorta misty.

Bruce

This is so great! I'm going to try this, plus a little more and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the ideas...

I've often wondered why helmet manufacturers haven't done something similar for a production helmet. If they could produce a helmet with a 10-15 dB noise reduction rating, I'm sure it would be a hit. I know manufacturers have to worry about product liability, but they could engineer a little noise reduction in without making the helmet so quiet you couldn't hear the outside world.

David

I finally purchased a Sliks helmet liner and mounted my gel ear seals borrowed off an old aviation headset. I also use cheap disposable foam earplugs along with this setup under my old HJC CL-14 helmet. The helmet is probably 1/2 size too large, but it is very comfortable. I don't really need the earplugs now. All windnoise is gone and I only have a deep rumble of a wind. My stero from the Starcom is crystal clear too.I used a couple of sticky velcro tabs to attach the gel seals, and now I have almost complete silence on the bike.

For your review:

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg
can you hear sirens coming up your six (or any other direction for htat matter)?

The helmet is probably 1/2 size too large, but it is very comfortable.
Snug fit is the most important aspect of helmet selection. If your helmet rotates on your head when you turn sideways at speed, its too loose and won't do its job properly in a crash.

Just saying.

That cotton liner sounds like it may be a bit tight (bulky) and not the best for high-heat areas in summer. How 'bout this one?
Actually, Toe, I've been running the Slik liner for over a year now and it actually keeps my head cooler. Skooter uses one, too, even in the heat of AZ.

Touche!

Thanks TWN - that is the nicest thing you ever said to me - I feel sorta misty.Bruce
Yeah, well, don't get too emotional about it. I have my soft and kind moments every now and again, but only after I watch "Lassie Come Home".

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool idea. Anything that cuts down wind noise will make a ride more comfortable, and reduce fatigue. I got some custom moulded earplugs at the International MC show last year, and love them. I can still hear sirens, approaching vehicles, XM radio etc. The odd few times I've forgotten the plugs reminds me of just how much difference they make.

Jill

Here's another source, but be sure to talk to Oregon Aero regarding dimensions as their hush kit may have too thick of Softseal ear cushions to fit in a tight fitting helmet. I use these in my flight helmet and David Clark headset and it's da bomb! They may be worth experimenting with so post up with any new results.

https://www.oregonaero.com/p5455_2001.html#components