Devil's Highway/Coronado Trail, Thursday 5/28

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Last minute ride posting...........

A few others and I will be riding Arizona's best twisties two days from now on Thursday, May 28. Come join the fun!

Will will be tearing up the old US route 666, now the more politically correct US 191 Coronado Trail. Will leave the valley early and breakfast in Safford. From there, we will take a detour south and head to the top of Mt. Graham. I've never been there before despite my best intentions for years now. After the detour, it will be on to the twistiest road in Arizona, US 191 from Morenci to Alpine.

Here's a map of the route: Clicky

Departure will be from the Goldfield Rd. Chevron just south of the 60 (3265 S Goldfield Rd, Apache Junction). Meet at 6:00am. Kickstands up promptly at 6:15am.

Damn. :angry2: I have to work or I would be there. I love ol 666 (191) I always blow one particular curve. I gotta get that one right sometime or have it kill me. I would like to go up Mt Graham also.

Have fun you guys.

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1070.0 Burk: Not to worry, Amigo! Greg Marbach - SkooterG, Uri Schumm - Beemerguy and Don Stanley - BeemerDonS run this once again every August or September as an overnighter.

We have been doing this for years and we will certainly do it again in 2009. I will be talking to Skooty and Uri tomorrow about what weekend we will do this on this year. We may even stay in Silver City, New Mexico and ride Highway 152. We normally stay in Alpine and eat at the Bear Wallow Cafe at night; but may check out SC-NM this year. Hwy. 152 is a HOOT!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://weather.aol.com/forecast/hourly/us/az/alpine/id/85920 Can't wait until tomorrow! It is 100 degrees in Chandler and I am draining my swimming pool due to a hard water condition, not allowing the chlorine tablets to do their thing clearing up the water. But at this time tomorrow in Alpine, Arizona where we will stop for lunch it will be sixty degrees and raining. Yea!

SkooterG: Thanks for a great day of riding My Friend; twas fantastic! Four Yamahas and two BMW's rode.

Fifteen hours in the saddle from 0500 to 2000 hours yesterday and 700 miles. French - Motorcycle Shop Owner, Dave Cooley, Tony Beuche, Jack Chapman, Don Stanley and Greg Marbach twisted it muy rapido.

After meeting at Goldfield Chevron for fuel, both coffee and gasoline, we headed to Safford for breakfast at Jerry's. Then tackled Mt. Graham to witness the beautiful views from the Summit. Then it was off to Devil's Highway '666' for thousands of twisties. Had a very late lunch at Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine, AZ.

1/2 hour of rain around Hannagan Meadows cooled us off and cooled off our tires from high speed running.

PS to Bill and Gary: Thanks for the warning about the loose cinders on the roadway corners. Plenty of cinders on both Mt. Graham and Highway 191 roads. Each of us had at least one traction break on these!