Dex-Cool Anti-Freeze? NERPT?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one thing is for sure - there is no shortage of strong opinions on any topic in this forum...
Yup, everybody knows everything.

Georgia - I don't know about Dexcool. But why even take the risk if there is plenty of stuff out there you can use and still sleep easy at night? I like the Honda pre-mix stuff because it's readily available, easy to use, and I simply *know* it will work without drama. And while I respect the wrenching/technical abilities of my good friend Warchild, I believe that flushing the system with distilled water is a complete waste of time and wholly unnecessary. Simply drain as much as you can, and refill.
I'm with you on this one Greg. Except I put in the Yamaha coolant.

Well... I didn't use the Green shit OR the Orange shit; I used the BLUE shit! My dealer, Hudson Cycles, recommended Spectro year-round pre-diluted when my thermostat took a dump a couple of years ago. I plan on draining and refilling with the same before the season starts this year. Also, Spectro is in Brookfield, CT so I can bang on their door easily if my bike becomes a rolling geiser due to their product. :lol:
OK we can use the green shit, and the blue shit, just don't use the orange shit!

I think I've got it!!

The main problem with the original DEX Cool is that you can not mix it with the green stuff. If someone tops off with the green stuff it mixes in and causes the DEX to form clots and clogs thing up. There is newer anti-freeze that is OK to mix with other types, but you loose the high-mileage characteristics if you do that.

If you stick with the green stuff you do need to change it every year or two. It loses it's anti-corrosion characteristics over time.

The main problem with the original DEX Cool is that you can not mix it with the green stuff. If someone tops off with the green stuff it mixes in and causes the DEX to form clots and clogs thing up. There is newer anti-freeze that is OK to mix with other types, but you loose the high-mileage characteristics if you do that.

If you stick with the green stuff you do need to change it every year or two. It loses it's anti-corrosion characteristics over time.
Thanks Greg!

And while I respect the wrenching/technical abilities of my good friend Warchild, I believe that flushing the system with distilled water is a complete waste of time and wholly unnecessary. Simply drain as much as you can, and refill.
It's not a complete waste of time if you're switching to Dex-cool, because it's essential that none of the green stuff remains in the system. Similarly, when you switch back to the green you should have been using all along, you have to get all the Dex-cool (and its dregs) out.

Mixing any amount of both is a Bad Thing.

(OK, it's not as bad as mixing ammonia and chlorine bleach into a pail to use as a cleaner, but it's bad. And kids, don't mix ammonia and chlorine bleach just to see what happens, unless you like hydrochloric acid in your nasal passages.)

Last edited by a moderator:
...And kids, don't mix ammonia and chlorine bleach just to see what happens, unless you like hydrochloric acid in your nasal passages.)
Is that bad?

Ascorbic acid is vitamin C...sounds like the hydro has some water in it...and some chlorine to keep things oh so squeaky clean. I think the harm is just an old wive's tale. Hey Beemerdons, why don't you test that for us...and post a video? :clapping:

Alrighty then. We've successfully beaten down the urge to use the pretty orange Dexcool.

I really don't know why anyone would claim that it is "the shit". More like it is shit.

It isn't recommended for your engine for a reason. Dexcool is an OAT type of coolant. These coolants inhibit internal corrosion of engine parts via an Organic Acid Technology. These acids react with aluminum alloy favorably to keep the coolant passages free of corroision, and they can do it for a relatively long time (extended life).

But... and this is a big BUT, if there are any other metals in your cooling system besides Aluminum, like maybe brass copper or what have you, the acids will actually be detrimental to those metals rather than just corrosion inhibitors.

Friday night stupid kid story time:

In high school I worked part time, evenings in a nursing home. I'd come in and clean the kitchen after the food prep and serving was all over with. It was kind of creepy having the old coots sneak up on you when you were working, but that is a whole 'nother story.

Anywho... Being a type A neat freak was an asset at that job. One night I was working to get some of the grody, caked up grease and dirt out from around the floor of the big appliances and had been using ammonia. It wasn't going fast enough for my teen aged impatience, so I decided to look for alternatives. Yeah, so... long story short that big old bottle of bleach looked like a real good idea. :blink:

Luckily (for me and my much later conceived children) I didn't die that night, nor did I kill off any of the wandering, demented residents. In fact, nobody at the place ever even found out about it. But now that I'm posting this on the intarwebs I expect a series of subpoenas at any time now.

Just another one of my many narrow brushes with the grim reaper, I guess. :p

I think the Prestone green chit looks kinda cool when mixed, like it's glowin or sumptin. :blink:

The Honda AF from a Honda car dealer is a little more cost effective than Honda coolant from a motoshop.

I wouldn't do Dexcool, too many bad stories & no bad stories about green AF.

For what it's worth, this prompted me to reflush my system, as I previously had the orange shit in there based on Warchild's advice. I discovered that Prestone nowadays, with their "safe to add to any color" shit is CLEAR shit!!! I couldn't find any Prestone green shit. I want some kind of color so that I can actually see the level in the reservoir.

I went ahead and spent the extra money for the Honda 50/50 premix. Thankfully, that shit is still green.

For what it's worth, this prompted me to reflush my system, as I previously had the orange shit in there based on Warchild's advice. I discovered that Prestone nowadays, with their "safe to add to any color" shit is CLEAR shit!!! I couldn't find any Prestone green shit. I want some kind of color so that I can actually see the level in the reservoir.

I went ahead and spent the extra money for the Honda 50/50 premix. Thankfully, that shit is still green.
LOL...that's a lot of shit!

You've successfully reached your 5ea. daily shit quota! :yahoo:

Sometimes the more information we have...the more confused & stressed out we get! :lol:

Have Dexcool in my 2000 Silverado and '02 Bravada. Both flushed at 100K and there is no corrosion, glop or leaks anywhere.. The inline six in the Olds is all aluminum block and head, DOHC 4valve/cylinder-just like the FJR and the cooling system [and DexCool] look like new after 100K. Did a valve check on the FJR and the cooling system is mint. And this [OMG] after having DexCool in it for 4 years...Now i"m gonna have another beer..

Just use some green food coloring. That'll make it green. Or mix up some purple or something...That will really **** with the masses.

Have Dexcool in my 2000 Silverado and '02 Bravada. Both flushed at 100K and there is no corrosion, glop or leaks anywhere.. The inline six in the Olds is all aluminum block and head, DOHC 4valve/cylinder-just like the FJR and the cooling system [and DexCool] look like new after 100K. Did a valve check on the FJR and the cooling system is mint. And this [OMG] after having DexCool in it for 4 years...Now i"m gonna have another beer..
:lol: :lol:

Wow...I haven't graduated to Monday morning beers yet. Hope yours is tasty. :lol:

LOL...that's a lot of shit!

You've successfully reached your 5ea. daily shit quota! :yahoo:

Sometimes the more information we have...the more confused & stressed out we get! :lol:
Oh, I meant to mention that it's not a baby shit green either...so, that's a plus. ;)

:lol: :lol:

Wow...I haven't graduated to Monday morning beers yet. Hope yours is tasty. :lol:
Dammit-can't get away with anything...just a little hair 'o the dog after celebrating Giant win..oh and you Kalifornikators are next...[end of hijak]