Diablo Strada 180/55/ZR17 "E"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Tried to put this in "pointless" threads, but "no permission to start new topic" the man said. Anyway, what is the difference with the "E" vs. the standard version. Says its OEM for FJR1300, but any structural differences? About $15 more, so what's the deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
4-6K miles more than the standard Diablo Strada 180/55/ZR17. The carcass is supposed to be stiffer but there is less tread depth on the "E" than the standard Strada. I like the Strada "E" and get ~12k miles out of the rear tire, by far more than any other tire I've run. Once the tire wears to near the wear bars it starts to make steering effort go up (drives like a truck) but still handles well. One of the more common complaints about this tire is the inability to tell when the center of the tire is worn out. I haven't really had problems with this. When the cords are showing it's time to replace the tire.

-- Strada 180/55

Tread = 1 Ply Rayon + 1 Ply Steel

Sidewall = 1 Ply Rayon

-- Strada E 180/55

Tread = 2 Ply Rayon + 1 Ply Steel

Sidewall = 2 Ply Rayon

The tread is a bit deeper on the standard Strada -- one less rayon ply yields a deeper tread. The E's extra rayon ply yields a bit better high speed stability when the bike is heavily loaded.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=25032&hl=

Wow. Thanks alot for the info guys. I am running the regular one now and it has about 3K on it and about halfway done. Love the tire so far, and was about to order another set and noticed the "E". To get another 4-6K for $15 extra? Uh, I think I'll be running the "E" from now on. Maybe my rear/front can be changed at the same time again instead of a 2:1 ratio. Fantastic tire and the best I have used since the Azaro's they replaced with the crappy Storm. Guess I'll have to stock up on the Strada's too since they will probably replace it with something "better" soon.

Wow. Thanks alot for the info guys. I am running the regular one now and it has about 3K on it and about halfway done. Love the tire so far, and was about to order another set and noticed the "E". To get another 4-6K for $15 extra? Uh, I think I'll be running the "E" from now on. Maybe my rear/front can be changed at the same time again instead of a 2:1 ratio. Fantastic tire and the best I have used since the Azaro's they replaced with the crappy Storm. Guess I'll have to stock up on the Strada's too since they will probably replace it with something "better" soon.
You might want to act quickly to buy your Strada stash as they have already announced the "Angel/Demon" tire which is supposed to be the Strada's replacement.

Angels and Demons? I thought that was a movie? Who comes up with this crap?

Angels and Demons? I thought that was a movie? Who comes up with this crap?
Marketing folks, of course. Has to be the best job in the world.

It's actually called the Angel ST, but word has it that as the tread wears the face of a demon appears...

...Maybe my rear/front can be changed at the same time again instead of a 2:1 ratio...
With the Stradas my F/R wear ratio is .85/1, the front tire is usually 85% or more done when the rear tire is 100% done.

You might want to act quickly to buy your Strada stash as they have already announced the "Angel/Demon" tire which is supposed to be the Strada's replacement.

Just ordered 3 sets from Motorcycle superstore. $249.98/set out the door (free shipping/no tax). That should last me a few more years. After that, the '05 will probably be getting sold/traded for something else.