Did all the throttle mods, still not happy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorad

Reaction score
Help! I have a new black cherry 07. Just turned over 1200 miles. I installed the G2 throttle tamer, Throttlemeister bar end weights. And today I released the center throttle spring 1 turn. I'm still disappointed. Getting back on the gas at higher rpm's just isn't smooth enough for me. No matter how hard I try to feather on the gas it still hits too hard. Not a problem at lower rpms but at higher revs it sucks. My question is this. What next? Will a power commander and the right map make it perfect? I sure hope so. I would appreciate any input.

1200 miles, come on man! Report back when you have 5000. Break the thing in and get use to it.

just my $.02

JW

My Thompsonian Butt-Dyno tells me that my PCIII helped with the twitchyness of the throttle, but I'm also with J. Get some more miles on her. Have you ridden a shaft-driven bike before? Is this your first dance with an FJR? When I got mine I thought that the throttle was twitchy, but I haven't done any of the throttle mods to her. It took about 2400 miles to get used to it, and now I expect it. The FJR is unlike any other bike to me. Maybe it's supposed to be that way

I know only 1200 miles but it's been cold here in the northwest man. Bought the bike December 29th. And yes this is my third shaft driven bike. I've had a few Guzzis so I am used to a little more flywheel weight. The FJR is awesome and I'm really digging it. I don't think my issue is not knowing the bike. At 5+ grand I'm just not able to get back on the gas smoothlty.

Ah, grasshopper, you are now becoming one with your machine. Now you must pass the test of getting past the dreaded shaft drive. They all do it, and in time you and it will be complete and it too shall be in harmony and will go unnoticed. And you will be once again be a happy grasshopper. Enjoy, PM. <>< ;)

Edit: You must have posted just before I did. If you have had shaft drives before, then forget the silly post above. As far as doing the throttle mods, spring, G2, etc., these are done usually for the just off throttle problems, not to help with any on/off throttle issues especially in the higher ranges. My only suggestion would be to get a set of Grip Puppies or larger diameter grips to help overcome the smallish OEM grips that can cause a quick throttle response in itself. The 06-07's, with the 07's being the worse, had to have the ECU replaced courtesy of Yamaha because of glitches it was causing but that was usually only at high elevations, ie, 2000+ feet and that was anything from sudden stalling and hesitations for just a second then the power would come back on to complete stallouts. Throttle body sync, make sure the idle is set at 1000 to 1100 rpm. Other than that, I don't know. Good luck, hope you get it fixed and keep us posted. Very interesting problem. PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '07. It has a G2 cam but the spring is unmodified. The only "surge" issue it has is the transition at low speeds from throttle off to throttle on.

A "surge" at 5000 RPM is called "horsepower". Ride it some more and you'll like it.

Don't construe this as me saying that it's "whiney ass gash crying", but, I've never had any probs with me 05 unit. I've never cried bout the heat....never cried bout vibes or the windshield buffeting.

Try lowering your standards. :rolleyes:

What's your left hand doing? Try simply holding light pressure on the clutch lever in those questionable corner situations when the bike is laid over and you are crossing the hump of the power band (around 5,000).

I've got 32,000 33,000 miles on the 07, and I'm still learning how to manage the power curves. That's with the addition of PC-III, updated ECU, G2 throttle tube, center spring release, Gen-I clutch slave cylinder, and two session days of the ExtremeMarine Follow Me If You Can riding school.

You need miles, not mods.

Don't construe this as me saying that it's "whiney ass gash crying", but, I've never had any probs with me 05 unit. I've never cried bout the heat....never cried bout vibes or the windshield buffeting.

Try lowering your standards. :rolleyes:
Odot only cries about trees.

:)

Motorad,

There might be a possiblity that your Spring Release has hung up/bound in your upper range of throttle rotation.

Otherwise, getting a 500cc model you will not have such problems.

Motorad,
There might be a possiblity that your Spring Release has hung up/bound in your upper range of throttle rotation.

Otherwise, getting a 500cc model you will not have such problems.
It's not hanging. The throttle tension is now very easy and smooth over the entire range. However, when I released the center spring one turn it never came to rest again on the little stop tab like it should. Mine falls short by about a 1/4 inch. Is this common? Almost seems a little too loose now. The throttle returns all the way but when running it's slow to return and idle back down. I am a little concerned. Should I be? I am proned to over-analyzing.

I have had 500cc bikes before and I would much rather have my current problem, power-management.

I appreciate the constructive responses. Some of you other guys sure like to tease. No I am not going to ebay it twowheelnuts.

Help! I have a new black cherry 07. Just turned over 1200 miles. I installed the G2 throttle tamer, Throttlemeister bar end weights. And today I released the center throttle spring 1 turn. I'm still disappointed. Getting back on the gas at higher rpm's just isn't smooth enough for me. No matter how hard I try to feather on the gas it still hits too hard. Not a problem at lower rpms but at higher revs it sucks. My question is this. What next? Will a power commander and the right map make it perfect? I sure hope so. I would appreciate any input.

Have you completed the Barbarian Mod? If not, it will help a little.

Beyond that...1300 cc's simply make more torque than 500.

Motorad,I appreciate the constructive responses. Some of you other guys sure like to tease. No I am not going to ebay it twowheelnuts.
When reading their unpleasant responses Motorad always remember they are just a bunch of moldy cranky old men. This is likely due to their numberous head injuries trying to dismount the wheel chair for the FJR.

Just listen to them and say "OK".

And for those who may happen by this thread from the Northern continents.. It's a nice warm 30degC here today, I think a Friday afternoon ride may be in order..

Dog pile Friday already..

It's not hanging. The throttle tension is now very easy and smooth over the entire range. However, when I released the center spring one turn it never came to rest again on the little stop tab like it should. Mine falls short by about a 1/4 inch. Is this common? Almost seems a little too loose now. The throttle returns all the way but when running it's slow to return and idle back down. I am a little concerned. Should I be? I am proned to over-analyzing.
Motorad, not to be concerned. My spring on the 06 did the exact same thing. Some here have removed the middle spring completely with no adverse effects or have bought 2008's instead.

When reading their unpleasant responses Motorad always remember they are just a bunch of moldy cranky old men. This is likely due to their numberous head injuries trying to dismount the wheel chair for the FJR.Just listen to them and say "OK".
Ya, my dear old Ma once told me, well your getting older now and that arthritis is so bad I guess you'll have to sell your bike.

Well, I just told her, ok Ma, I'll sell it, when they pry it out of my old, dead, cold, crippled, fingers...... :lol: :grin: PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorad,

To settle your mind, get someone in your area with a FJR to ride your bike or visa versa to see if you have an extreme situation.

Hopefully this will settle it for you and wish you the best with your situation.

Dood give it time and try what Silver said if you can. Oh and don't, whatever you do, lower your standards as low as odot.

You'd have to look up to worms :lol:

:jester:

The answer for many is right here:
Power Commander at Bike Effects

Note the link below to see how to get the forum discount.
I started this winey thread so I figured I should post up my results.

Thank you Bike Effects! You were right! I purchased your "fancy dan" Power Commander, put it in myself, and all my drive-ability frustrations are now history. The bike is such a pleasure to ride now. Off idle, low rpm, high rpm, off gas, back on the gas, and shifting is all much improved. I haven't tried any other maps yet. Just using the one that came pre-loaded in the PC and so far it has done the trick. Can't wait to ride it again.